New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Hi Everyone,

I brought my car to Toyota casa last week for maintenance and they found out that the drive shafts assembly need to be replaced. I brought it to my trusted mechanic just to get confirmation and it's positive. He said that the shafts itself are defective, not the CV joints. An entire assembly from casa is more than 20k so I'm looking for cheaper source. Do you know a store where it's cheaper? Original or replacement is okay for Altis 2003. I appreciate your help.

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    I would start looking at surplus shops if I were you.

3. Join Date
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by samcoy View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I brought my car to Toyota casa last week for maintenance and they found out that the drive shafts assembly need to be replaced. I brought it to my trusted mechanic just to get confirmation and it's positive. He said that the shafts itself are defective, not the CV joints. An entire assembly from casa is more than 20k so I'm looking for cheaper source. Do you know a store where it's cheaper? Original or replacement is okay for Altis 2003. I appreciate your help.

Thanks
    sir try nyo sa CELICA MOTORS along araneta ave..may nabibiling replacement nyan yung pinaka joint lang, ipa press in nyo na lang sa machine shop

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tip_tipid View Post
    I would start looking at surplus shops if I were you.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Initially I was considering surplus too but my mechanic and I see that it's not reliable since it's already used. As of now, it's my last resort. I'm really looking for brand new.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skyflakes View Post
    sir try nyo sa CELICA MOTORS along araneta ave..may nabibiling replacement nyan yung pinaka joint lang, ipa press in nyo na lang sa machine shop
    Thanks for the tip sir, I'll make an inquiry to Celica. Just to clarify shaft mismo ang may problem, hindi CV joints.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Just curious, what is wrong with the drive shaft? Worn out Spline or bent drive shaft? Rarely will the shaft be bent. I have experienced a the CV joint end shaft got bent maybe due to hard acceleration, but not the drive shaft itself.
    The effect was the while front of the car vibrate or shakes, as well as the steering wheel at speed past 100kph.
    Last edited by tip_tipid; March 30th, 2013 at 06:49 AM.

7. Join Date
    May 2012
    anong side po ba ang may problem sir?
    kung assembly po ang problem, meron din pong replacement nyan,

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    IMHO, get a good condition surplus driveshaft assembly then repack the inner and outer CV joints as necessary if the former is still in good condition. Change the inner & outer rubber boots with OEM for durability & longevity. Now if you can't find a surplus assembly in good assembly, still get a surplus driveshaft with good & complete spline teeth then buy a good quality brand of inner & outer CV joint (ie, Federal Mogul brand is one ex). The inner CV joint rarely gets busted. You can check the "straightness" of the driveshaft by turning it in a lathe machine. Brandnew OEM driveshaft assembly is still the best but if budget does not permit I will still pick a surplus driveshaft over a replacement one. Why? Because OEM driveshaft has its tensile strength tested & surpasses the cyclic stress brought about by its intended tranny & drivetrain as well. By this, a surplus OEM driveshaft is still far better than a brandnew replacement brand. Unless of course you are upgrading into chromoly driveshafts which has a higher tensile strength overall compared to OEM. I can't say much about replacement driveshafts and you can't tell how long they will last or how they perform at high speeds. I dont understand why your mechanic is suggesting you not to buy a surplus since it is used and chooses a brandnew replacement brand over it. This will only make his work easier but leave your car's reliability in question....

BTW, do you mind sharing what the defect your axle shaft has? Maybe it was replaced by the owner with a replacement one earlier?

9. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Okay, I did some research first to better understand the problem. I have to admit I misunderstood what the mechanic told me since I'm not familiar with the parts of drive shaft assembly. So, the defective parts are the inner and outer CV joints both sides as he confirmed today. I believe it reached this point because I was ignoring casa's findings from previous checkups. Anyway, I'll check Federal Mogul as suggested by sir LN106G and thanks for sharing a great tip. Curious, is there a supplier also of brand new OEM joints?

10. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    If you want brandnew OEM axleshaft assembly, you can try asking shops specializing Toyota parts in Banawe, Pasay or Araneta. The outer CV joints are the ones usually busted since it virtually moves in all planes (like when you steer to either side, while passing uneven roads, etc), hence, the earlier wear & tear. The inner CV joint is rarely busted as it has limited planar movement. The only movement it undergoes is spinning from the torque given out by the transmission going to the wheels. I suggest you buy an OEM rubber boot if the old one is brittle for longer life. Pack your CV joints with high quality CV joint-specific grease.
    BTW, If your asking if there's a brandnew OEM CV joint sold separately for the Altis, unfortunately none

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast