New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hello guys.

im trying to remove a stuck up screw in an old distributor. i tried to spray it with penetrating oil, but it still won't move. im afraid i might damage the screw and permanently be unable to remove it..

what do i do? can machine shops remove this for me?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    if lahat ng paraan ayaw..get a new screw and use a screw extractor to remove the old one

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    heat it up slightly?

pero di pwede kasi plastic yung distributor cap hehe...

my advice is make sure your screwdriver is of correct size, di porke philip pwede na, iba iba kagat nyan. Try using a longer screwdriver or a rachet (right angle). Kung plastic kasi yung kinakabitan, malabo na di matatanggal yun eh.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what does a screw extractor look like? nakakabili ba nito sa hardware shops...

im using a long flat screwdriver..fortunately bakal ang kinakabitan..matry nga mainitan..

thanks guys!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it's probably stuck because it is corroded. one way to loosen up corroded screws and bolts is to hit it with a hammer. or better yet, use an impact screw driver (for screws) or an impact/hammer wrench (for bolts)

if you do not have an impact screw driver set, just use an ordinary screw driver with a tip that matches the screw head (i.e., flat for flat head screw, philips for a philips head). then, holding the screw driver and at the same time twisting it in the direction to loosen, give it a blow with a hammer. (***MAKE SURE YOU HIT IT TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION THE SIZE OF THE SCREW YOU ARE TRYING TO LOOSEN! in simple terms, if the screw is small then hit it lightly, and if it is a big one then hit it more.) the combined action of twisting and hitting with the hammer will loosen up the corrosion and free the threads. also the impact tends to make the mating faces of the threads momentarily separate, thus freeing the threads. works all the time. well, almost all the time since sometimes the screw/bolt is just so corroded it becomes any mechanics' nightmare.

you can also try heating the nut or the part to which the screw attaches to and then spraying the screw or bolt with very cold water or freon. the difference in temperature will cause the the threads to free up.
    Last edited by yebo; April 1st, 2005 at 07:42 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Sabihin ko sana WD40 kaya lang nasa distributor pala baka may matamaan na di dapat matamaan.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    no problem with wd40. anyway use an impact drive if screw breaks a screw extractror will do it. before this spray with penetrating oil then hit the screw with a hammer. put a right sized screwdriver or philipps(not too loose or too big) then hit the end of the drver a couple of times. then twist. pag ayaw use an impact drive. if it breaks then an extractor should do it

good luck

what to do with tough to remove screws