New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006

mga Boss! i hve a big problem in my Civic Vti 00.newly bought a wik ago & pina-inspect ko sa mechanic this morning.may nkitang probs.hindi ko alam na madmi na pala sira. ito daw dapat kong ipa-repair(halos lht sa front underchasis):
    -1set brake pads(front)
    -replacement of disc brakes(front)
    -2pcs shock absorber(front)
    -2pcs ball joints or bushing(hindi ko alam tawag) on upper suspensions(front)
    -2pcs lateral longkage(back)
    -2pcs tie rods(front)
    -2pcs rock end(back)
    -undercoat

...i knw madami ng threads nito(ive read quite a few), but i need ALL your Opinions & Guidance po mga masters...bcoz i really dont know what to do & what to fix 1st. money is scarce for me.
    info of car:
    the car was casa-maintained until 45000Km, then it stopped.as of today its already in its 61***Km.suwerte ko pa at ok pa yung engine system nya(no leaks,toktok,etc). though ganito mga prblema nya, ok p nmn yung takbo ng car, pro i feel when i turn,nagdiDip yung isang side s harap oposite the turn,sa brakepads,may naririnig akong "sqeaking" pagka hardbrake ko pro its still minimal, hindi yung sobrangsakit na sa tenga. i hd attach the pictres of the shocks, anu po diagnose nyo?
    sa bushing nmn ng upper suspension sa harap nkita ko mismo may crack.though pwede pa khit papaano.
    tie rods, i dnt rily know its condition, pro sbi ng mechanic"Medyo malambot na T-rods mu".

my questions are:
    1. which should i prioritze 1st?(eg:brakepads&discs?)
    2. is it possible to hold the repair works until i cud save up money?(pra lahat ayos na in one repair).
    3. i had found that cruven is a very Reliable shop for this kind of work(thanks to thread search), cnu po ang mkakapagbigay sakin ng estimate ng lahat ng repairs nito?sana mura lng poh.abot kamay lang.kailangan ko tlga ng knwoledge about this things.
    4. if you cud give me instructions on what to do, PLEASE DO!
    5. wer can i buy OEM parts for super bargain? balak ko ako biLi parts pra mura, then pagawa nlng pra labor nlng babayarin.
    6. kailangan pa ba yung underCoat?is this serious repair?

Mahal na mahal ko Oto ko, ayoko masira siya.my mom(who btw spent a fortune just to get me a car), will be pissed off.Oh Dear..

lastly, lito tlga ako, di ko tlga alm ggwin ko.PLEASE HELP

thank you po sa magrereply in advance, i realy realy appreciate it.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The brake pads are not that expensive. If they are thin, you can easily see them when the front wheels are taken off (there is a viewing window cut into the caliper that allows you to see pad thickness).

If you do not feel any abnormal pulsations from the brake pedal when braking (sign of a warped disc/rotor) and there are no obvious signs of scoring/cracks/etc. on the disc itself, you can probably hold that off.

New shocks aren't that expensive should the old ones be shot already. You can get KYB's. They're inexpensive and they're the same guys that make the original shocks for major manufacturers like Toyota, Mitsu, etc. Cruven is a good shop for things like tie rods, etc. But I usually buy new shocks instead of having them refilled.

The other suspension pieces will mostly just make noise if not addressed. If they aren't noisy, your handling isn't funny, and your tirewear is not uneven, I don't see any reason to replace them.

Undercoat is a good insurance against underside corrosion. If the present undercoat is still good (no peeling, no bald spots, etc.), you can probably hold off adding another coat for a while.

Let's wait for the other Tsikoteers to wake up and chime in.
    Last edited by OTEP; January 8th, 2007 at 04:46 AM.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    gpo tp another mechanic and have a second opinion. dont tell him what the first mechanic saw and compare their notes.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    brake pads first, before rotors. unless there's warping, uneven wear. you would know this if when you brake your car leans to one side (left or right) even if you have perfect alignment. warping is unusual. for uneven wear and scratches, you just need to have it refaced.

palit disc brakes? are you serious with this?

although shops rarely have this, the best way to check on it is with a brake tester. try dropping by at our shop. (shameless plug)

for the shocks, KYB is the standard. you can have it refilled (cruven or zee's specialty). don't by from casa, they'd give you the assembly, coil spring and all.

tie rod, rack end and ball joints in front should be done, lest you want your steering to go awry. usually mechanics inspect bushing by pulling and pushing to see if there's play.

for the undercoating, have it done at least once every two years. especially if your area gets flooded.

have all of them done except for the disc rotor replacement. that needs second opinion. come to think of it, go for a second opinion for all of your concerns.

remember, a good suspension system gives you more control of your car. do you know that a bad suspension system decreases your car's braking power by at least two meters? those two meters could mean life or death.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    The brake pads are not that expensive. If they are thin, you can easily see them when the front wheels are taken off (there is a viewing window cut into the caliper that allows you to see pad thickness).

If you do not feel any abnormal pulsations from the brake pedal when braking (sign of a warped disc/rotor) and there are no obvious signs of scoring/cracks/etc. on the disc itself, you can probably hold that off.

New shocks aren't that expensive should the old ones be shot already. You can get KYB's. They're inexpensive and they're the same guys that make the original shocks for major manufacturers like Toyota, Mitsu, etc. Cruven is a good shop for things like tie rods, etc. But I usually buy new shocks instead of having them refilled.

The other suspension pieces will mostly just make noise if not addressed. If they aren't noisy, your handling isn't funny, and your tirewear is not uneven, I don't see any reason to replace them.

Undercoat is a good insurance against underside corrosion. If the present undercoat is still good (no peeling, no bald spots, etc.), you can probably hold off adding another coat for a while.

Let's wait for the other Tsikoteers to wake up and chime in.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennSter View Post
    gpo tp another mechanic and have a second opinion. dont tell him what the first mechanic saw and compare their notes.
    *OTEP:
    thank you so much for the fast reply. sir otep, i just test runned my car this morning..everything is fine. my observations is:
    -no squeaks when going over humps.
    -i could apply the brakes just before the pedals reaches its halfway down the floor.(is this still ok?).
    -engine is REALLY fine.THANK GOD!
    -i found out the car moves Slightly to the left while freehand. shoulg i calibrate it's alingment asap?

*GleenSter:
    many thanks for the fast replies. ive went to atleast 4mechanics and they had dfrnt opinions, the 1st one,said that everything is ok,only the typical stuff(eg:sparkplugs,oil,fluids,etc) should be change.2ng one, his worthless, he said its in tipTop condtion an yet he didnt see the cracks. 32rd one is actualy gave me the list of problems(he is a mechanic from shell cmnwlth, so his reputable).
    im planning to repair & replace all of them when the odo hits sumwhere 68000 Km. by that time may pera nako

-->> Sir Otep & GlennSter, can u refer to me a shop near my place(comnwealth)where i cud do all of the repairs?wer can i buy OEM KYB? kung may kakilala po kayong mechanic na Ubod ng galing sa ganitong problems, can u refer me to him?
    contacts numbers din po.mas ok po kung pwede nila bigay rough estimate thru txt. kasi im quite busy sa school.having a car is SO SO MUCH COMFORTABLE, hindi ako nalalate sa mga skeds ko.
    -->>thank you SO MUCH Guyz, kayo tLga mga Master dito sa tsikot.ilang beses ninyo na rin ako tinulungan. thanks

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    meron nman cguro record ng mga maintenance yang oto, try mo check kung ali ang due, i guess tama ung magpa second opinion ka or pakiramdaman mo muna..

pag me problem na brake pads mo or disc brake kapag nagpreno ka maingay na tipong metal to metal ung tunog or pwede mo rin kapain ung disc brake, kapag magaspang pwede ka magtanong sa mga machine shops kung pwede ipa re-face ( tama ba spelling ko mga gurus?)

regarding sa mag ball joints and bushings, pakiramdaman mo rin kung may mga unusual sounds saka pacheck at palitan mo na kung punit na o me sira na

ganyan talaga pag bili ka ng 2nd hand dahil kung ikaw ung seller, malamang hindi mo na rin sagutin ung mga due replacements tpos same price mo din mabebenta

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    i had similar problems with my car (vti 99) before, except that of replacing the disks brakes, and yung maingay na brake.

had it inspected in at least three shops around visayas ave, and congressional, but ended up with a small shop sa west ave. manu-mano lang alignment but i think they did a good job naman kahit papaano. nawala ang tendency to go left.

nagpalit ako rackends, two boots (rubber cover), put new brake pads (bendix brand, mura lang).

as a precaution, don't expect much from stock brake system ng civics vti\lxi 99 and 2k, medyo mahina talaga yan compared to corollas and lancers of same age. compensated naman yan dahil sa precise and direct yung steering ng car natin, based from experience and reviews, so iiwas ka na lang. hehehe.

anticipate braking situations in advance. i was told you can upgrade the brakes by replacing the pads with race type brakes with cost that go as high as 5k. not worth it for me, at this time.

last note eh dun sa undercoat thing. medyo polarized ang mga tao diyan - people who believe on having it, and folks who don't. newer cars really do not need it cause of excellent rustproofing, in my opinion. but it helps dampen the cabin noise i guess. i know some folks who have same model as yours but never done it since they bought their car. it's your call! 2-3k din yun.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    torque2006's shop has a branch along Commonwealth if you'd like to try it out.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    don't panic bro. normal lang for that age ng car lumabas yang mga sira na yan. though medyo maaga nga nagsilabas considering low mileage naman car mo. mine is 97 model and ngayon pa lang naguumpisang umingay. yun namang parts na na mention mo eh di naman ganun kamahal especially kung 555 brand ang bibilin mo which is a very good replacement brand. kung panggamit naman yung oto, wag ka manghinayang gastusan. it's for your own safety. you can start w/ the brakes for safety precautions. then ask the mechanic kung ano ba ang magandang isunod kung la ka pa budget. pero maganda yan isang baklasan na lang tutal nasa front naman laht yung na diagnose na mga sira. your problem is makahanap ng reliable at magaling na mechanic para tama ang pag diagnose at walang back job pag gumawa... lucky for me i've found my trusted mechanic. lahat ng naging sasakyan namin sya lang puntahan ko pag may sira. not a single backjob! good luck! maayos mo rin lahat yan.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by torque2006 View Post
    brake pads first, before rotors. unless there's warping, uneven wear. you would know this if when you brake your car leans to one side (left or right) even if you have perfect alignment. warping is unusual. for uneven wear and scratches, you just need to have it refaced.

palit disc brakes? are you serious with this?

although shops rarely have this, the best way to check on it is with a brake tester. try dropping by at our shop. (shameless plug)

for the shocks, KYB is the standard. you can have it refilled (cruven or zee's specialty). don't by from casa, they'd give you the assembly, coil spring and all.

tie rod, rack end and ball joints in front should be done, lest you want your steering to go awry. usually mechanics inspect bushing by pulling and pushing to see if there's play.

for the undercoating, have it done at least once every two years. especially if your area gets flooded.

have all of them done except for the disc rotor replacement. that needs second opinion. come to think of it, go for a second opinion for all of your concerns.

remember, a good suspension system gives you more control of your car. do you know that a bad suspension system decreases your car's braking power by at least two meters? those two meters could mean life or death.
    -->>thats im afraid of, kaya di ko mabirit oto ko sa freeway dahil d2. mamaya bumigay, wala na pala ako preno.(GULP)

Quote Originally Posted by radiskull0415 View Post
    meron nman cguro record ng mga maintenance yang oto, try mo check kung ali ang due, i guess tama ung magpa second opinion ka or pakiramdaman mo muna..

pag me problem na brake pads mo or disc brake kapag nagpreno ka maingay na tipong metal to metal ung tunog or pwede mo rin kapain ung disc brake, kapag magaspang pwede ka magtanong sa mga machine shops kung pwede ipa re-face ( tama ba spelling ko mga gurus?)

regarding sa mag ball joints and bushings, pakiramdaman mo rin kung may mga unusual sounds saka pacheck at palitan mo na kung punit na o me sira na

ganyan talaga pag bili ka ng 2nd hand dahil kung ikaw ung seller, malamang hindi mo na rin sagutin ung mga due replacements tpos same price mo din mabebenta
    -->> where can i find a reputable shop na pwede nila ipa-reface yung brake disc ko? im along commonwealth ave.

Quote Originally Posted by jkaizer View Post
    i had similar problems with my car (vti 99) before, except that of replacing the disks brakes, and yung maingay na brake.

had it inspected in at least three shops around visayas ave, and congressional, but ended up with a small shop sa west ave. manu-mano lang alignment but i think they did a good job naman kahit papaano. nawala ang tendency to go left.

nagpalit ako rackends, two boots (rubber cover), put new brake pads (bendix brand, mura lang).

as a precaution, don't expect much from stock brake system ng civics vti\lxi 99 and 2k, medyo mahina talaga yan compared to corollas and lancers of same age. compensated naman yan dahil sa precise and direct yung steering ng car natin, based from experience and reviews, so iiwas ka na lang. hehehe.

anticipate braking situations in advance. i was told you can upgrade the brakes by replacing the pads with race type brakes with cost that go as high as 5k. not worth it for me, at this time.

last note eh dun sa undercoat thing. medyo polarized ang mga tao diyan - people who believe on having it, and folks who don't. newer cars really do not need it cause of excellent rustproofing, in my opinion. but it helps dampen the cabin noise i guess. i know some folks who have same model as yours but never done it since they bought their car. it's your call! 2-3k din yun.
    -->>ill lay off the undercoating until my car's next due maintenance sked.

Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    torque2006's shop has a branch along Commonwealth if you'd like to try it out.
    -->>san po sa commonwealth shop nila? il drop by today. pwede mo po ako irefer sa kanila? sana ok sila gumawa.
    whats their specialty there?

Quote Originally Posted by rusem View Post
    don't panic bro. normal lang for that age ng car lumabas yang mga sira na yan. though medyo maaga nga nagsilabas considering low mileage naman car mo. mine is 97 model and ngayon pa lang naguumpisang umingay. yun namang parts na na mention mo eh di naman ganun kamahal especially kung 555 brand ang bibilin mo which is a very good replacement brand. kung panggamit naman yung oto, wag ka manghinayang gastusan. it's for your own safety. you can start w/ the brakes for safety precautions. then ask the mechanic kung ano ba ang magandang isunod kung la ka pa budget. pero maganda yan isang baklasan na lang tutal nasa front naman laht yung na diagnose na mga sira. your problem is makahanap ng reliable at magaling na mechanic para tama ang pag diagnose at walang back job pag gumawa... lucky for me i've found my trusted mechanic. lahat ng naging sasakyan namin sya lang puntahan ko pag may sira. not a single backjob! good luck! maayos mo rin lahat yan.
    -->>555brand? san gawa yun? japan? san po makakabili ng mga ganun? yesterday ive canvass for a brake pads, may nakita akong type R brand made in japan. ok din ba ito?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
URGENT!PLS HELP ASAP!repairing civic!