New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hi guys i'm a new user here. Need lang po advise mga sir kung anong best secondhand car to buy. Here are my 3 choices Nissan Sentra, Mitsubishi Lancer GLXI and Toyota corolla. Balak ko po bumili yung mga late 90's model. Which of the 3 is the best in terms of reliability, fuel consumption and parts? Please advise. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    this reminds me of a thread some time back. the guy was vacillating on getting a used sentra, because he says it has a cheaper resale value when it's time to sell it.. but i say, that only means you can buy it cheaper now. and between your buying it and your selling it, you can enjoy it just as well. my 1.4 li ex model, gives me 8-9 km per liter, and hardly anything to fix over the past 14 years. but it's a little tight at the rear, if your passengers are big.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    Hi guys i'm a new user here. Need lang po advise mga sir kung anong best secondhand car to buy. Here are my 3 choices Nissan Sentra, Mitsubishi Lancer GLXI and Toyota corolla. Balak ko po bumili yung mga late 90's model. Which of the 3 is the best in terms of reliability, fuel consumption and parts? Please advise. Thanks!
    Reliability - Toyota
    FC - depends on your use pero in theory, Toyota corolla pa rin.
    Parts - halos pareho lang madali hanapan yan, lamang lang siguro toyota in terms of price.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002

The Sentra and Corolla can do all three (reliability, fuel consumption and parts).

Advantage of the Sentra is it's cheaper for the same production year as compared to the Corolla.

So for me, the Sentra is the better option.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the advise mga sir.. Yes that's what I noticed when I go check on line for second hand cars price. Kahit late 90's n ung model ng Nissan it is much cheaper compare to Mitsubishi and Toyota. Now I made up my mind on what car will I buy in the next few months Thanks again!!!

6. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the advise mga sir.. Yes that's what I noticed when I go check on line for second hand cars price. Kahit late 90's n ung model ng Nissan it is much cheaper compare to Mitsubishi and Toyota. Now I made up my mind on what car will I buy in the next few months Thanks again!!!
    nissan sentra is your best choece of the 3. no timing belt to change.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; April 18th, 2011 at 10:00 AM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd get also a B14 Sentra. Only concern is finding one in good or acceptable condition.

Things to look out for:
    - Engine clatter on cold start up (could mean the timing chain or tensioner needs replacement as the owner did not change oil regularly).
    - Diveboming or low idle (could be the intake plenum needs cleaning along with the MAF sensor, etc.).

For original parts, Nissan parts are more expensive than Toyota or Mitsu however i did notice they last longer.

Keep your options open and look for the best deal in the best condition, whether it be Nissan, Toyota or Mitsu. It will really depend on how the previous owner cared for his ride.

Best secondhand car to buy Nissan, Toyota or Mitsubishi?