New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Hi Patrol gurus,

Is it possible to replace the gas engine in a 2001 Patrol 4.5 with a diesel engine? I've read reviews from Australian web sites that list a 2001 diesel engined Patrol so I was wondering if there's a company here sa pinas that can replace the gas engine with a diesel engine (maybe Nissan Phils. themselves?).

Also what would be a good 2nd-hand price for the 2001 Patrol 4.5 gas?

Thanks in advance for any info on this!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sir, for the hassle and the price and the headaches, you are better off selling your current ride and buy a diesel variant.

imho.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Thanks sa input sir, pero as much as possible ayaw bitawan ng family ang current 4.5, kaya I'm just exploring the possibility of transplanting a diesel engine into it.

You mentioned na hassle and headache to do this engine replacement, can I ask why? Can this not be done by the casa itself? Or is this done by 3rd party shops and thus the possible headaches kung pangit ang gawa?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    actually, it's not nissan phil ang nagdadala ng patrol dito.it's UMC as far as i know.for me nga, mas malaki pa ang chance na panget ang gawa pag sa casa...hehehehe.no offense sa mga casa.you are better off with 3rd party shops that specialize in such engines/engine swaps.

hassle kasi you have to look for engine na surplus na maayos. that in itself is a BIG gamble.and for sure, madaming papalitan dun. like for example, pag nagengine swap ang mga friends ko, overhaul pa nila yan and check the internals for worn out parts sabay palit narin.

im not sure if the diesel's mounting is plug and play na with the current mountings..if not, papa gawa ka pa.

the transmission din, not sure if it is the same so better check it narin.

and shempre, the most important is the competent shop who will do the transplant.

keep us posted!

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Dami pala gagawin to get the engine replaced, akala ko there'ld be a shop that specializes in this and they can order a new engine and transplant it pag dumating. I read kasi that the casa does 4x2 to 4x4 conversions so I thought they might be able to engine replacements as well.

Would you know the shops that specialize in these engine transplants? Thanks.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmmm...as of now wala.but JAPPY, the makers of local HAMMERS use patrol engines power their units.

at isa pa, kung brand new engine isasalpak mo, sigurado ako na ang mahal niyan.

im not discouraging you..if you really love the unit you have, why not?

but for me, ill stick nalang with the gas engine kung ang mahal din naman pala at ang sakit sa ulo ng pag engine swap to diesel.in the long run, mas makakatipid ka pa sa gas.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    hmm, kasi using the 4.5 to bring the kids to/form school uses like 1k a day in gas bills kaya naisip lang na if replacing with a diesel engine will cost mga 200-300k di cheaper than getting a new diesel vehicle... or mali ba yung estimated cost to get an engine replacement? Thanks for all the info man.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    brand new engine transplant = hyundai getz...baka may sukli ka pa

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmm...about the costs, let's wait for the other gurus to reply..im not too sure about it.

pero sir, 1k a day!?!

thats like...28 liters of gas *35php per liter...

thats like 171 kms if your gas consumption is 6kms per liter...grabe ang layo naman pala niyang schools ng anak mo..heheheh

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    pang hatid/sundo and any other trips for the kids in between kasi naka assign yung vehicle na yan, kaya ayun going back and forth in traffic adds up to the 1k per day...

if the engine transplant is not doable naman, then off to the selling block yung patrol to get replaced by some diesel vehicle nalang... yun lang nga as much as possible ayaw sana ibenta kasi love ng family yung vehicle, kaya I'm trying to see kung pwede yung engine replacement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Nissan Patrol: gas to diesel engine replacement