New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Hello, i bought a 2005 Nissan Sentra Gs automatic last month. just want to know to the other GS automatic owners if the fuel consumption is really quite high, im doing 5-6kl/liter city driving, any suggestion? and im not that satisfied with the engine power, parang BITIN!! Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Try turning overdrive (O/D) off when driving in traffic or at slow speeds to get better acceleration. Turn on the O/D when the road is generally clear and when you are driving on the highway or expressways.

Fuel consumption is affected by the way you drive. Flooring the gas to get the most acceleration from the car will definitely affect your FC figures. Try driving the car smoothly with lighter pressure on the accelerator. Also keeping your tires at the recommended pressure will help.

BTW, if the area where you drive is often jammed in heavy traffic, humps, jeepneys/trikes or other stuff that would lead you to stop-go driving, a poor FC figure is not a surprise.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    i really try my best to be light on the gas pedal, i try to maintain 2-2.5k rpm to get the best gas mileage as far as what i read on the other thread.
    we use the car during offpeak hrs bec may wife works on a call center, so traffic is not an issue.

i will try your suggestion about the overdrive.

what would be the best FC i can get from a 16 valve twincam sentra Gs automatic? or any upgrade besides converting it to LPG?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    selegna_35, hi,

same ride tayo, i hava been driving this car since 2005, it's my daily car except coding day and sunday... yup, ganun talaga cya katakaw, i am reaching 7km/ltr now, by changing to a lighter oil, bumping the tire pressure a bit higher and disiplina talaga sa pagmamaneho, tong car na to, cruiser lang cya, di mo pwde sabayan ung matutulin, comfort habol kasi nitong ride na to. i travel less than 4kms one way. follow ghosthunter advice by turning your o/d off, it will improve acceleration a bit but not much, turning it on only upon reaching 55kms on odo and on open highway. maganda lang tong ride na to kasi relax ka lang habang nagdridrive. i did reach 16km/ltr once going to tagaytay with my family.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here's something that some people would advise against but it does improve acceleration when you want it. It should be safe as long as you don't do it too often.

If you want to get the car to accelerate faster than you can get when the A/T is in "D", manually shift the A/T selector to "L" and floor the accelerator. As the engine is about to reach the redline, select "2" without removing your foot from the gas pedal. Do the same when selecting "D" (with O/D off).

The above mentioned "method" will not give you an increase in fuel efficiency but it would help you accelerate the car to do an overtake or similar.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redpitz View Post
    selegna_35, hi,

same ride tayo, i hava been driving this car since 2005, it's my daily car except coding day and sunday... yup, ganun talaga cya katakaw, i am reaching 7km/ltr now, by changing to a lighter oil, bumping the tire pressure a bit higher and disiplina talaga sa pagmamaneho, tong car na to, cruiser lang cya, di mo pwde sabayan ung matutulin, comfort habol kasi nitong ride na to. i travel less than 4kms one way. follow ghosthunter advice by turning your o/d off, it will improve acceleration a bit but not much, turning it on only upon reaching 55kms on odo and on open highway. maganda lang tong ride na to kasi relax ka lang habang nagdridrive. i did reach 16km/ltr once going to tagaytay with my family.
    Hi Redpitz,
    glad to know that im not the only one experiencing this kind of FC. it is really a compy car, big space and i like the exterior except the back light hehehehe. what barnd of oil are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Here's something that some people would advise against but it does improve acceleration when you want it. It should be safe as long as you don't do it too often.

If you want to get the car to accelerate faster than you can get when the A/T is in "D", manually shift the A/T selector to "L" and floor the accelerator. As the engine is about to reach the redline, select "2" without removing your foot from the gas pedal. Do the same when selecting "D" (with O/D off).

The above mentioned "method" will not give you an increase in fuel efficiency but it would help you accelerate the car to do an overtake or similar.
    I was told by my brother to do the same but i havent tried it.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    yes, i sometimes shift to no. 2, it says in our manual that u can use drive 2 as long as not exceeding 100kph, then i shift it back to d when i almost reach to 100kph on the odo. un na lipad na sya...kaso kakatakot, masyado lambot kasi suspension. hehe

bout di engine oil, im using redline 10w-30 now... i'll try the 5w30 next oil change.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    sir GHUNTER pwede ba sa ibang matic car and van un tips na binigay mo?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by aga_cruz View Post
    sir GHUNTER pwede ba sa ibang matic car and van un tips na binigay mo?
    Yes but vans have shorter gearing so it might not be as effective.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    REDPITZ,
    what is the color of your sentra? mine is black. is your sentra in full skirts already? thanks.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
Nissan Sentra GS Automatic