New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Changing 3rd gen Monti (2016 Model & Up) OEM Head Lamp of GLS/ GLX model would be very easy if you can find same architecture build as the OEM bulb, it will be very easy as Plug & Play just follow the instructions on your Manual BUT unfortunately the LED commercial available does not have this kind of build yet. Why become difficult? BECAUSE the assembly Head Lamp Unit of 3rd Gen Montero Sport DOES NOT have enough space to insert & to fit the heat sink of LED. In this case you will need to make a little adjustment to make it fit and that little adjustment will REQUIRE you to pull out the Head Light Unit.
    This simple tutorial was based on my personal experience, I just want to share it to you guys so that it will help you a lot and make it easy for you to DIY on changing it. My 1st time to do it really, it is very difficult for me because I do not know where to start and what to do, but little by little I learned from it. Now I am enjoying my aftermarket High Intensity LEDs on my Monti.
    What Size of LED bulb you will need?
    1) Head Lamp = HIR2/ HIR2LL/9012 LED Headlight bulb kit (I prepare LED kit with 2 in 1 assembly)
    Wattage: 55W or below this wattage.
    Luminance? The higher the better.

What tools and material do you need?
    1. Offset Box wrench or Ratchet Hex Socket Wrench Screwdriver type (10,11,12 sizes)-forgot the exact size but it was those number.
    2. Screw Drivers (Cross & Flat)
    3. High Quality Duct tape (I prepare color black)
    4. Soldering Iron (40w or up)
    5. Pranela cloth

And Lots of Common Sense & patience

Steps:
    1) CAREFULLY remove the top layer cover by using your screw drivers, when it getting hard, just pull up a little the cover near the area where you want to unscrew so that it tighten a little because you will feel that it like they are loose thread. Remember to count the screws.

Pic. #1: Top — imgbb.com

2) Remove the front chrome panel, see pic. #2. Try to pull it a little, feel where the bonding are located, and remove the bolts. Pull out side by side.

Pic. #2: front — imgbb.com

3) On the side of bumper, pull it a little so that it will expose the other bolt that lock the lower part of HL unit. It is only lock but not screw, so just do the push & pull method to free it. No need to remove the whole part, just enough to expose the bolt that holds the Headlight unit.

Pic. #3: side — imgbb.com

4) Remove the connection harness of HL unit. If you don€™t know yet how to remove it use your common sense or google it, it has lock of course, find it then push it at end part so that it will release then pull out the connections, take your time dont be stupid. You might try to jump to step 5, then go back step 4. It is up to you which one make it easy in removing those harness.

5) Remove all the bolts of HL unit, they are 4 of them, 2 on top, 2 below, find it. See pic. #5. Once all bolts are remove. Carefully pull it out. I just borrow the pic from retrofitted HL on fb , since i don't want to remove my HL unit just for this tutorial.

What it looks like removing the top, front chrome, little pull down on side of bumper near headlight.

Pic# 5: what it looks like — imgbb.com

6) Remove head lamp dust cover (rotate counter clockwise) , wire harness (push & pull teknik) then the bulb by rotating counter clockwise then pull out.

Pics. #6: Head lamp — imgbb.com

7) You will notice that the LED bulb kit is difficult to insert inside, you will need DISKARTE mode here. You will need to make a whole in order to insert it easily. What I did is I use soldering Iron to make a whole parallel to it. Since soldering Iron is hot, it melt the plastic easily make hole just enough to insert the LED bulb easily. Remember not to make a big hole because you need to return the dust cover and you provide at least holder for your dust cover and make lock it again. Try to make a hole that you can easily plug and play the LED bulb without removing your Headlight Unit again if in case you will need to replace the LED in the future.
    After making hole insert your new LED kit and insert wiring harness inside of it, return the dust cover, clean the area of the near hole you make and use the High Quality Duct Tape to cover the hole, do it properly so that it will be protected for any dust.

8) Return the HL unit and everything in reverse order.

I change also my Position Lamp to LED with 1000 Lm, plug & play T10/T15 size and change my FL to LED dual color to match my LED HL super bright color white output.

Here what it looks like my new HL, Position Lamp, FL:

https://ibb.co/etLDnc

https://ibb.co/e1f2fx

https://ibb.co/dJPOnc

When HL and FL is turn off:
    https://ibb.co/j6HCDH

what it looks at my medium Magic Tint:
    https://imgbb.co/iag9oH

Complete setup cost me almost 7k-8k for HL, FL, Position Lamp.

Additional Useful Info:

1) GLS/ GLX model Replacing Position Lamp (eyeline), Signal light, Fog lamp, DRL are in the Manual, complete steps. Take time to read.

2) If you want to replace your OEM Fog Lamp by LED Kit, buy fan less heatsink that is reversible or same architecture as the OEM. Why? because on the right side (facing your Car) the Tank for wind shield washer is located there and it leaves small space. The reversible heatsink type will give you enough space to place it.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jessgab View Post
    Changing 3rd gen Monti (2016 Model & Up) OEM Head Lamp of GLS/ GLX model would be very easy if you can find same architecture build as the OEM bulb, it will be very easy as Plug & Play just follow the instructions on your Manual BUT unfortunately the LED commercial available does not have this kind of build yet. Why become difficult? BECAUSE the assembly Head Lamp Unit of 3rd Gen Montero Sport DOES NOT have enough space to insert & to fit the heat sink of LED. In this case you will need to make a little adjustment to make it fit and that little adjustment will REQUIRE you to pull out the Head Light Unit.
    This simple tutorial was based on my personal experience, I just want to share it to you guys so that it will help you a lot and make it easy for you to DIY on changing it. My 1st time to do it really, it is very difficult for me because I do not know where to start and what to do, but little by little I learned from it. Now I am enjoying my aftermarket High Intensity LEDs on my Monti.
    What Size of LED bulb you will need?
    1) Head Lamp = HIR2/ HIR2LL/9012 LED Headlight bulb kit (I prepare LED kit with 2 in 1 assembly)
    Wattage: 55W or below this wattage.
    Luminance? The higher the better.

What tools and material do you need?
    1. Offset Box wrench or Ratchet Hex Socket Wrench Screwdriver type (10,11,12 sizes)-forgot the exact size but it was those number.
    2. Screw Drivers (Cross & Flat)
    3. High Quality Duct tape (I prepare color black)
    4. Soldering Iron (40w or up)
    5. Pranela cloth

And Lots of Common Sense & patience

Steps:
    1) CAREFULLY remove the top layer cover by using your screw drivers, when it getting hard, just pull up a little the cover near the area where you want to unscrew so that it tighten a little because you will feel that it like they are loose thread. Remember to count the screws.

Pic. #1: Top imgbb.com

2) Remove the front chrome panel, see pic. #2. Try to pull it a little, feel where the bonding are located, and remove the bolts. Pull out side by side.

Pic. #2: front imgbb.com

3) On the side of bumper, pull it a little so that it will expose the other bolt that lock the lower part of HL unit. It is only lock but not screw, so just do the push & pull method to free it. No need to remove the whole part, just enough to expose the bolt that holds the Headlight unit.

Pic. #3: side imgbb.com

4) Remove the connection harness of HL unit. If you donBasic Tutorial for Changing GLS/ GLX Head Lamp from OEM bulb to High Intensity LED - 3rd Gen Monterot know yet how to remove it use your common sense or google it, it has lock of course, find it then push it at end part so that it will release then pull out the connections, take your time dont be stupid. You might try to jump to step 5, then go back step 4. It is up to you which one make it easy in removing those harness.

5) Remove all the bolts of HL unit, they are 4 of them, 2 on top, 2 below, find it. See pic. #5. Once all bolts are remove. Carefully pull it out. I just borrow the pic from retrofitted HL on fb , since i don't want to remove my HL unit just for this tutorial.

What it looks like removing the top, front chrome, little pull down on side of bumper near headlight.

Pic# 5: what it looks like imgbb.com

6) Remove head lamp dust cover (rotate counter clockwise) , wire harness (push & pull teknik) then the bulb by rotating counter clockwise then pull out.

Pics. #6: Head lamp imgbb.com

7) You will notice that the LED bulb kit is difficult to insert inside, you will need DISKARTE mode here. You will need to make a whole in order to insert it easily. What I did is I use soldering Iron to make a whole parallel to it. Since soldering Iron is hot, it melt the plastic easily make hole just enough to insert the LED bulb easily. Remember not to make a big hole because you need to return the dust cover and you provide at least holder for your dust cover and make lock it again. Try to make a hole that you can easily plug and play the LED bulb without removing your Headlight Unit again if in case you will need to replace the LED in the future.
    After making hole insert your new LED kit and insert wiring harness inside of it, return the dust cover, clean the area of the near hole you make and use the High Quality Duct Tape to cover the hole, do it properly so that it will be protected for any dust.

8) Return the HL unit and everything in reverse order.

I change also my Position Lamp to LED with 1000 Lm, plug & play T10/T15 size and change my FL to LED dual color to match my LED HL super bright color white output.

Here what it looks like my new HL, Position Lamp, FL:

https://ibb.co/etLDnc

https://ibb.co/e1f2fx

https://ibb.co/dJPOnc

When HL and FL is turn off:
    https://ibb.co/j6HCDH

what it looks at my medium Magic Tint:
    https://imgbb.co/iag9oH

Complete setup cost me almost 7k-8k for HL, FL, Position Lamp.

Additional Useful Info:

1) GLS/ GLX model Replacing Position Lamp (eyeline), Signal light, Fog lamp, DRL are in the Manual, complete steps. Take time to read.

2) If you want to replace your OEM Fog Lamp by LED Kit, buy fan less heatsink that is reversible or same architecture as the OEM. Why? because on the right side (facing your Car) the Tank for wind shield washer is located there and it leaves small space. The reversible heatsink type will give you enough space to place it.
    Nice tutorial info bro. Thanks for sharing. Ask ko lang link ng position lamp led light mo T10/T15. Lubusin ko na rin yung pages ng procedures ng pagpapalit ng position light at fog light sa manual. Di ko makita sa kapal ng manual...hehe TIA

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by montro View Post
    Nice tutorial info bro. Thanks for sharing. Ask ko lang link ng position lamp led light mo T10/T15. Lubusin ko na rin yung pages ng procedures ng pagpapalit ng position light at fog light sa manual. Di ko makita sa kapal ng manual...hehe TIA

You start on section 10-28 of the manual. Section 10 will give all the info.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by montro View Post

About the position lamp:
    Amazon.com: Rayhoo 2pcs 1 lumens Extremely Bright Canbus Error Free 921 912 T1 T15 AK-414 45pcs Chipsets LED Bulbs Only For Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White 6K: Automotive
    I bought that in galleon.ph just tell them on chat or search it the same item on there search items. It is only 1000 lm per bulb

But i want to try this one it is 2000 lm per bulb:
    Amazon.com: AUXITO 2 Lumens Error Free 912 921 T15 LED Bulbs Extremely Bright Newest CSP 9-SMD Plug and Play for Back Up Reverse Lights, 65K White (Pack of 2): Automotive
    This one really interest me!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    What the hell dami ko palang maling spelling, I did not check my spelling because I am thinking I can still edit later my post if I have time...but it does not allowed to edit after it was posted for a long time...guys spell correction on Step #7..not "whole" it is Hole.. what am I thinking!

6. Join Date
    Jul 2014
    I have been reading and studying the above tutorial, however I don't want to make changes in my car's stock headlight assembly.

Hence, after searching in the internet for an alternative, I tried this LED to my 2017 Monty and and everything works without any modifications! I hope this will help people who want to use LED without modifying anything in their monty.

1:1 size ratio LED replacement light

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Paolo Medina View Post
    I have been reading and studying the above tutorial, however I don't want to make changes in my car's stock headlight assembly.

Hence, after searching in the internet for an alternative, I tried this LED to my 2017 Monty and and everything works without any modifications! I hope this will help people who want to use LED without modifying anything in their monty.

1:1 size ratio LED replacement light
    how's the beam of light, po?
    nakakasilaw ba sa oncoming motorist?