New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    My dad is considering handing over his Fieldmaster Gen 2.5 A/T to me by nextyear. This is if I want to. If not, he is considering selling it. He got it 2nd hand last year from a friend who was the 1st owner. It has already clocked 140k kms, it ran that much because of long distance business travel from Pampanga to South, no off-road or modification whatsoever. I was not able to get the year model but I assume it is a 1999 model. I also was not able to ride it anymore as I already moved out of my parents house last year when he got it….

Currently I own an '05 Altis A/T. The compromise is, I have to trade the car to my dad, then he will give me the Pajero Gen 2.5 A/T in exchange, and my sister will get my Atlis as a college grad gift.

I know the Pajero and the Altis is like comparing apples to oranges as they are two different cars for two different driving needs and styles. So come different fuel consumption, parts expenses and maintenance cycles etc. And I am ok with this, I have accepted that fact already. I have also read about the Pajero Gen 2.5 here in the board, and I have learned a lot already.

=======================================

My Altis fuel consumption gets 8.5kms/liter --- normal city driving. And 10kms/liter --- tipid mode city driving (as in relax on the gas pedal). I haven't measured it on long drives yet but I believe it will get 12kms-14kms/liter.

For the Pajero, I have read that it goes 6kms-7.5kms/liter on --- normal city driving. I hope to get a higher reading if on tipid economic driving style.

My dad had a 1994 Nissan Safari before, but he sold it to his brother and he changed the oil every 3k kms reading, he also does the same change oil interval for our 2006 Starex CRDI....that's what I plan to do with the Pajero too when I get it. That is how we do change oil for our diesel cars.

=======================================

I would just like to get more direct feedback from everyone before I make the decision come nextyear.

1.) At 140,000kms what parts are a MUST to replace already? Regardless if still OK or not?
    2.) Anything I should be watchful of at 140,000kms mileage?
    3.) Any other tips/reminders you can share?

Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks!!!

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    If you just use it mostly in the city, you are probably better off keeping the Altis.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    merong point si number001 and correction hindi ito for free this will be swap/exchange between altis 2005 and pajero 1999. and check mo sa mga buy and sell ang price ng pajero 99 and altis 05
    Last edited by raine; December 13th, 2010 at 01:32 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    If you just use it mostly in the city, you are probably better off keeping the Altis.
    A great point sir. Yes this is actually running on my mind since my dad mentioned the proposal to me. So I did some math in terms of the kms/liter consumption of the Pajero and the Altis....and this is what I got below.

=====================
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]34kms – Daily office route (to and from)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Altis[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]8.5 kms/liter – city driving[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Consumes 4 liters / 8.5kms x Php 45 = Php 180/day[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Pajero[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]If 7.5 kms/liter consumption – city driving[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Will consume 4.5liters /[/SIZE][SIZE=2] 7.5 x Php 35 = Php 157/day[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]If 6 kms/liter comsumption – city driving[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Will consume 5.7liters / 5.6 x Php 35 = Php 196/day[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]=====================[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]So pretty much the cost of fuel per day of the Pajero and the Altis will be in the same range. Wag lang sana mag 4kms / liter. Hahahaha. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]My wife and I will be using the Pajero for our daily office drive and of course weekend out of town trips. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]I have accepted the fact that swapping the Altis for the Pajero will have major diffs and hopefully slight operation cost difference. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Thank you for the tip sir. I really appreciate encouraging and discouraging advises before I make the decision. [/SIZE]

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by raine View Post
    merong point si number001 and correction hindi ito for free this will be swap/exchange between altis 2005 and pajero 1999. and check mo sa mga buy and sell ang price ng pajero 99 and altis 05

Hahaha. Oo nga. It wont be free after all. Let me change the subject.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Also take note that it would cost more to service the Pajero bec. it requires more fluids(ie. 6.x liters vs. 4 liters Altis), transfer case (4x4), differential, etc... So give and take, whatever you save from the diesel Pajero's fuel consumption, you will have to (eventually) lose when in comes to servicing time.

Try to have your dad cover for most major servicing before he hands it to you.
    -Belts- timing belt, power steering, etc....
    -Gaskets-Cylinder Head Gasket, Cylinder Head Cover Gasket.
    -Fluids-radiator, engine oil, power steering, transmission, differential
    -Brake pads, Tires, etc...
    Baka magulat na sya dyan and change his mind. :D

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KinKyHOOTER View Post
    A great point sir. Yes this is actually running on my mind since my dad mentioned the proposal to me. So I did some math in terms of the kms/liter consumption of the Pajero and the Altis....and this is what I got below.

=====================

[SIZE=2]34kms – Daily office route (to and from)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Altis[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]8.5 kms/liter – city driving[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Consumes 4 liters / 8.5kms x Php 45 = Php 180/day[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Pajero[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]If 7.5 kms/liter consumption – city driving[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Will consume 4.5liters /[/SIZE][SIZE=2] 7.5 x Php 35 = Php 157/day[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]If 6 kms/liter comsumption – city driving[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Will consume 5.7liters / 5.6 x Php 35 = Php 196/day[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]=====================[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]So pretty much the cost of fuel per day of the Pajero and the Altis will be in the same range. Wag lang sana mag 4kms / liter. Hahahaha. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]My wife and I will be using the Pajero for our daily office drive and of course weekend out of town trips. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]I have accepted the fact that swapping the Altis for the Pajero will have major diffs and hopefully slight operation cost difference. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Thank you for the tip sir. I really appreciate encouraging and discouraging advises before I make the decision. [/SIZE]
    Pajero + 100+k cash. Bka pumayag. Then use the cash pang down sa brand new daily drive mo. pang weekend or long trips ang Pajero.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    and tire prices are worlds apart.....

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    Also take note that it would cost more to service the Pajero bec. it requires more fluids(ie. 6.x liters vs. 4 liters Altis), transfer case (4x4), differential, etc... So give and take, whatever you save from the diesel Pajero's fuel consumption, you will have to (eventually) lose when in comes to servicing time.

Try to have your dad cover for most major servicing before he hands it to you.
    -Belts- timing belt, power steering, etc....
    -Gaskets-Cylinder Head Gasket, Cylinder Head Cover Gasket.
    -Fluids-radiator, engine oil, power steering, transmission, differential
    -Brake pads, Tires, etc...
    Baka magulat na sya dyan and change his mind. :D
    Fortunately its only a 4x2.

Yes, I guess its really a fact that maintenance cost will rise a bit due to the fluid requirements etc.

I do hope if ever I get the Pajero, it'll have minor repair requirements due to the 140,000kms mileage. Butj ust the same I really plan to have those that you mentioned inspected and changed one at a time...swipe lang nang swipe! Hahaha

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Densker View Post
    Pajero + 100+k cash. Bka pumayag. Then use the cash pang down sa brand new daily drive mo. pang weekend or long trips ang Pajero.
    Hahaha. No chance

Baka mabaril masampal ako.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Getting my dads Pajero Gen 2.5 for FREE....Deal or No Deal?!