New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    I've been reading some posts on Ecu remapping. To those who have done the remapping, does it affect fuel consumption? Does the engine go limp and laggy after some time? What are the parts that'll have an accelerated wear because of the modified ecu?

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    on that topic - this is worth a view ..... "The Truth about Engine ECU Upgrades, Chips & Re-mapping"

The Truth about Engine ECU Upgrades, Chips & Re-mapping | Auto Expert John Cadogan | Australia - YouTube

I had my Audi remapped years ago - but it was out of warranty. For newer cars still under warranty - you need to consider if the manufacturer will use a re-map as an excuse to void your warranty (like in that video)...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
    I've been reading some posts on Ecu remapping. To those who have done the remapping, does it affect fuel consumption? Does the engine go limp and laggy after some time? What are the parts that'll have an accelerated wear because of the modified ecu?

The answer to all your questions is "it depends".

Think of it as over/under-clocking your PC. On a desktop computer, this undertaking is no longer as simple as playing around with clockrates. You also play with voltages, multipliers, bus speeds, using faster-performing parts, better component coolers, etc. Do it right and you'll have a screaming-fast PC at a slightly lower cost. Do it wrong and the computer can get you from unstable, to unusable, to the smell of plastics burning.

ECU remapping is similar. It can give you better performance OR better fuel economy, or it can get you stranded in the middle of nowhere. Increasing performance will typically translate to a shorter lifespan of the engine and worse fuel economy. You typically counter the former by using aftermarket performance parts. There's no free lunch. The stock maps on the factory ECU are coded as such to increase engine reliability, lower emissions, and optimize fuel economy.

So back to your questions.... the end result of an ECU remap depends on the competence of the shop.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    The answer to all your questions is "it depends".

Think of it as over/under-clocking your PC. On a desktop computer, this undertaking is no longer as simple as playing around with clockrates. You also play with voltages, multipliers, bus speeds, using faster-performing parts, better component coolers, etc. Do it right and you'll have a screaming-fast PC at a slightly lower cost. Do it wrong and the computer can get you from unstable, to unusable, to the smell of plastics burning.

ECU remapping is similar. It can give you better performance OR better fuel economy, or it can get you stranded in the middle of nowhere. Increasing performance will typically translate to a shorter lifespan of the engine and worse fuel economy. You typically counter the former by using aftermarket performance parts. There's no free lunch. The stock maps on the factory ECU are coded as such to increase engine reliability, lower emissions, and optimize fuel economy.

So back to your questions.... the end result of an ECU remap depends on the competence of the shop.
    Thank you Tsips for the comments. With the newly approved excise tax on fuel, I am thinking of having my ECU remapped. What i believed before was better power to weight ratio = better fuel economy. I am clocking 5kms almost every other month. I have a 7 year old suv with stock 4d56 turbo equipped engine that consumes an average of 10kms per liter.

I am now having second thoughts on this, because i want to keep the car for 5 or more years. Baka mapagastos pa ako ng malaki bago matapos ang 5 taon. Hehehe.