New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2004
    Peeps do check your brand of compact fluorescent lamp. If it reads 'Akari', then think twice if you still want to keep them.

Just this evening while preparing our laundry inside our wash area, the fluorescent lamp installed exploded without any sign/warning.
    The lamp was just lit up for at least 5 minutes this evening, and if my memory serves me right, it is only around 3-4 months old.
    This is the first time I actually saw a lamp popped its internals. Though it sparked, good thing it did not created a fire nor damaged the socket.

It made me check all the lighting brands installed in our house, good thing that the rest reads Osram, Omni, Toshiba, Philips & Starlux (this one I will monitor).
    Now I understand why we should trust those branded ones and with warranty even if they are a little pricey.

Sad part, I don't think they do have a website where I could raise this concern.

Here are sample pics of the lamp.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    the last time i checked, toshiba, GE and the other established brands aren't really that much more expensive than these new brands. hopefully lang nga they didn't compromise their quality along with the price

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I always buy Philips or GE. From experience, yung mga cheap brands hindi tumatagal ng more than 6 months. Lalo pa tuloy napapamahal.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    naku tomorrow ko pa ma check yung sa bahay nas opsina ako..sana walang akari sa bahay

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    oh wow, sunog ang board then yong receptacle di naman shorted.nagtrip ba breaker brod?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Omni has same quality as Akari, Firefly, America etc. if you want safer brands go for GE, Toshiba, Osram and Philips.

Is your wash area humid or has steam inside the room sometimes? if so, the electronic internals of the bulb might have been damp, this could cause a short in the small circuit board inside.

Omni and Akari provide at least a year warranty on their bulbs, maybe you can still avail of a replacement, if you want.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I find Omni products to have better quality than other China made brands.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    baka nagkataon lang ok mga kuha mo boybi. dito sa depot namin halos same lang mga defects/returns ng mga cheap brands.

medyo chambahan yan, may iba makuha tatagal talaga.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Not dismissing your warning bro, I do agree that it's best to stick to EFL giants (OSRAM/PHILIPS etc.), they simply last longer and produces better light...

Having said that, most lightbulb mishaps (especially this kind of long length bulbs) is caused by installation error where we twist the bulb in by holding the tube or the base of the tube instead of the thick, plastic near the thread.

That kind of installation will severely compromise the safety of the bulb, where the glass and IC/plastic is mounted.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Just stick with the trusted brands. (Osram, Philips, GE, Toshiba or Hitachi)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Akari lamp exploded