New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Hi,

Am looking at various hardwood types for wood furnitures, and I don't know much about the various hardwood types, especially what is more durable and why some are selling more expensive than others.

Pls include the following and rank them based on your understanding either based on durability or value for money.

Narra, Rosewood, Yakal, Kamagong, Mahogany, Acacia, Tanguile, Teak, Molave, Mulawin, Oak, Pili, Gmelina, Lauan, Supa, etc.

Pls add others that you know.

Would you also have a personal recommendation among these various choices and why?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    Arranged from the toughest to the least.

Kamagong - this one is dark in color and shade. Quite tough. They use this on arnis, handle of tools, etc

Molave and Mulawin - both are tough. esp. Mulawin.

Narra - used on everything from furniture, door frame, solid door, flooring, etc... expensive. Contrary to what people think, narra is NOT immune from termite attacks.

Teak - this is not native to our country so it is imported. It is more expensive than narra. Supposedly immune to termite attack as it can be used outdoors.

Yakal - old spanish houses uses this before for their foundation. can used for door frames but it naturally develops surface "cracks" based on the its tree ring.

Mahogany - used on furnitures. Can't be used for flooring as it "moves" alot (dont know if it was properly kiln dried to start with)

Tanguile - can be used as furniture, door frame and solid wood doors. Used as a substiture for narra if price sensitive.

Lauan - its not that tough. I have been told its only something above coco lumber.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Narra for furniture, in and outdoors.

I used salvaged Tanguile wooden planks for our front fence in Cavite.

Wasn't cheap though ...

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Yung gmelina pag umabot pala ng 25 years namumula na at ang tigas

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    ^ Yup, matigas din at hindi pa inaanay gemelina kapag tamang edad.

Toughest wood I know is the Iron wood or kamagong, mas matigas sa Ipil which is 2nd toughest for me.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Yung bahay namin sa probinsiya, Yakal ang cross braces, supports, and yung floor. Yung main house beams are Narra. Other wood that was used (for doors, walls, etc.) was Apitong and Tanguile.

Balustrades were made of Molave.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Before I thought the hardest wood dito sa pinas ay kamagong, then my brother told me last year may binebenta sa kanya kahoy na ginagamit na rudder sa mga barko nung araw, mangkono name nung kahoy. Hindi nya nabili wala sya way I transport from Mindanao

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    We are a wood processing company engaged in fit out contracts mostly using hardwood we import ourselves from Africa and the US. We are currently using American Black Walnut, Appalachian White Oak, White Ash and African Teak also known as IROKO. We have our own forest concession contracts in West Africa where the IROKO came from. It is a suitable replacement for Narra and it's mechanical properties are ideal both for furniture and sash use. We went into importation as a result of the devastation of forests we've seen during the November 2004 Winnie and Yoyong storm whereby an insane amount of LOGS cascaded down from General Nakar, Infanta and Real Quezon. I have seen bodies of both human and animals sprawled along the shorelines w/c made me decide not to use local timber from that point. I thought much of the trees were uprooted by the cascading floodwaters but to my surprise a greater percentage of the timber were harvested stocks not knowing w/c is legally cut and w/c isn't. We took an effort to provide our market alternatives from import sources so our future generations may have a chance to let our own forest products regenerate. If you noticed they are now cutting down fruit bearing trees as wood for furniture hence the scarcity of local fruits that were once abundant in our market places. You'll also notice how younger the age of the tree cuttings are nowadays.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jay2 View Post
    Before I thought the hardest wood dito sa pinas ay kamagong, then my brother told me last year may binebenta sa kanya kahoy na ginagamit na rudder sa mga barko nung araw, mangkono name nung kahoy. Hindi nya nabili wala sya way I transport from Mindanao
    Oo nga pala, Ironwood natin yan iba pa sa kamagong. Meron dito sa amin.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Mangkono & Kamagong collection

magkono.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast