New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Hi everyone! Long post ahead. [emoji3]

I'm coming from 2011 MacBook Pro. It has boot camp so it can run Windows, but Windows XP. I mainly used it for Matlab. Other than that, it's Mac.

I recently received a call that I am needed to teach again and that will be this coming Monday. Knowing that classes are now online, I had an idea of making the class a bit interesting by doing a few tricks, with the green screen I recently discovered, by moving the magnetic contactor on its own while "talking to it" to function. Another discovery is the software OBS. I was able to get the basics and I tested my idea with Google Meet, together with OBS. And here I encountered a big, big, big problem! I am no longer moving in the video. The computer slowed down so much that it took about a minute to see my face to move from left to right.

My brother told me to buy a new laptop. I don't know if what I bought is the best or is an overkill. I have totally forgotten about the laptop thread, so I wasn't able to get an idea what to buy. Anyways, this is what my brother insisted that I should get.

With the current pandemic, I was able to enjoy the same delivery day. My brother ordered it from KWANCORP around 4 PM yesterday, and we received it around 6 PM.

Surprise! When I started the laptop, it comes with the full version of Windows. Many years ago, I remember that laptops came with the trial version of Windows. Another surprise, the user interface is similar to Windows XP. I don't know what version of Windows I used before, where I got confused that looking for the Control Panel took me time.

Speaking of time, cold boot is lightning fast! I tried it a couple of times, but it only took two seconds to show up the desktop. I feel I'm exaggerating, so let's make it five seconds. Exaggerating or not, this is not the usual boot up time that I am used to with Windows.

I missed right away the "X" location of the tabs and windows positioned to the left, the familiar location for Mac.

Starting with that "X" thing, here are some questions that I hope you can answer and give an advice or two:

1. What software can I use to have the "feel" of the Mac OS? I know I can adjust but...

2. Any other software that you can recommend in conjunction with OBS for presentation? Priority is ease of use during presentation. I've heard of Presenter Pro but it's not free, and I don't know how much is the learning curve.

3. Do you think using FACERIG will make the class more interesting? Many years ago, connecting with my students is very easy with face-to-face classes. I don't know if I can make the same effect online.

4. I recently learned how to use Blender. It's a video editing software and it's free. Do you have any other recommendations? I already searched but I might have missed the "right one" because I'm in a hurry.

5. Any ideas how to make an online class interesting? I have the feeling that an online class is a bit boring. So I'm willing to try anything, even if it's a "crazy" one.

6. Any software that you think I need with Windows? I never bothered to have an antivirus software before but I think I need one now. Any other software aside from an antivirus? Anything useful will be greatly appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Im more familiar with zoom meeting this is what we use whenever i present something in my work, i just use powerpoint for my presentation, sa anti virus namn is yung built in windows defender is already enough, avast free is ok also.

Sent from my vivo 1906 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    My son uses doodly to liven up his presentation. Also, Prezi is an alternative to PPT with better animation and transition. Good luck bro.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamur View Post
    My son uses doodly to liven up his presentation. Also, Prezi is an alternative to PPT with better animation and transition. Good luck bro.
    Thanks! I'll check Prezi and Doodly. I hope it doesn't break the bank.
    [emoji3]

Quote Originally Posted by mokong22 View Post
    Im more familiar with zoom meeting this is what we use whenever i present something in my work, i just use powerpoint for my presentation, sa anti virus namn is yung built in windows defender is already enough, avast free is ok also.

Sent from my vivo 1906 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

Same here, I'm more familiar with Zoom but we are using Google Classroom so Google Meet is the default application for the students.

If Windows Defender is good, then I won't bother to install another antivirus software.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    May Office365 account ka na ba? At least with Office365, you have almost every application you need - Outlook, Microsoft Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

Puwede rin Google Workspace (formerly GSuite).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    May Office365 account ka na ba? At least with Office365, you have almost every application you need - Outlook, Microsoft Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.

Puwede rin Google Workspace (formerly GSuite).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'll check that Google Workplace.

There's a Mac feature where you can preview a file by pressing the space bar. I hope the equivalent "Quick Look" in Windows works flawlessly like I got used to in Mac.

Anyone else who can suggest?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Bili ka rin laptop stand para at least eye level yung webcam mo, paangit pag naka baba webcam, yung baba at butas ilong mo makikita nila hehe, you can also upgrade your webcam also pag di ka satisfied sa resolution, lightning also important, find a place na malakas ang light coming and also yung background mo

Sent from my vivo 1906 using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mokong22 View Post
    Bili ka rin laptop stand para at least eye level yung webcam mo, paangit pag naka baba webcam, yung baba at butas ilong mo makikita nila hehe, you can also upgrade your webcam also pag di ka satisfied sa resolution, lightning also important, find a place na malakas ang light coming and also yung background mo

Sent from my vivo 1906 using Tapatalk
    It seems that my brother got me covered. I've been using a box coupled with a book or two with the same observation as you said. When I saw your post, I told my brother about that stand and he gave me one.
    [emoji3]

I installed Quick Look and immediately uninstalled it. It's useless as far as Mac's preview function is concerned.

Anyone else who have a suggestion or two?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    get a nice big 2nd monitor, IPS display

10. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tsupermario View Post
    get a nice big 2nd monitor, IPS display
    Any specific link? I'm not looking for a fancy one, just the right size so that it is easy to carry around as I move from "here to there" on a daily basis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast