Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Excerpt from the:

COCKTALES
    By Victor Agustin
    Inquirer
    Last updated 11:13pm (Mla time) 10/22/2006

Published on page B3 of the October 23, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

Scout attack

HOW would you like your girl scout daughter or younger sister to go out on a jamboree and share the same camp with boy scouts?

The Girl Scouts of the Philippines is not only horrified at the thought, but revolted that a bill has been filed in Congress that could end up forcing the marriage of the girl scouts group with the boy scouts’.

A bill filed by Makati Rep. Agapito Aquino renaming the Boy Scouts of the Philippines into Scouts Philippines has already passed third and final reading in the House.

But, even before the bill could be passed by the Senate and enacted into law, the Boy Scouts have already been recruiting girls from 14 years up to join their movement.

The Boy Scouts, incidentally, is headed by Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay, while the Girl Scouts count on no less than Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo as chief scout.

According to the grapevine, Girl Scouts president Teresita Choa is now working on GMA’s congressional allies to not only block the Aquino bill but also push for the passage of a separate Girl Scouts bill to ensure that the corporate identity of the female group remains.

More than the gender divide, the Girl Scouts also has a number of real estate holdings in key cities throughout the country.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    As for sharing the campsite with girls, we always did that anyway. No big deal.

As for merging both, I don't think its a good idea. Iba talaga ang programs ng girls and boys eh.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sana ibalik nila yung requirement for all elem schools to implement boy scout and girl scout training. voluntary na lang yata ngayon yan eh. I mean maybe they should not focus on just the wearing of the scout uniform but the value formation and the skills training that scout training imparted to children.

nowadays kasi, parang ceremonial na lang ang boy scout and girl scout movement. gone are the days na merong orienteering, hiking, camping, knot-tying, and other survival skills training. and more importantly yung value formation... naalala ko yung motto ng scouting "laging handa!" although yan din yata ang motto ng mga male menyek tsikoteers hehehehe

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hindi ko na naabutan ang boy scouts sa school namin dati, meron daw kasing na-accident or namatay during one of the hiking/camping trip kaya tinanggal ng school ang boy scouts.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ok din yang boy scouts... masaya kapag may camping... dami din matutunan outside of the classroom (knot tying, basic first aid, etc.)

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    ok din yang boy scouts... masaya kapag may camping... dami din matutunan outside of the classroom (knot tying, basic first aid, etc.)
    at saka pumila ng maayos

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    former B.S. here :D

pag sa organizational level imemerge, tingin ko ok lang. pag sa camping, mas maigi ata na ihiwalay na lang. mahirap na. tingin ko mas lalong walang sasaling mga girls pag ganyan.

that would be a shame, today's kids could learn a lot from scouting

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I was a boy scout during my elementary years and have attended various regional and world jamborees in Mt. Makiling, Teresa, Rizal(?) and others. They were indeed enriching experiences for me.

I wish that the youths of today will have the same experience of independence, teamwork, camaraderie and resourcefulness of "Being Prepared"

:starwars:

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Wala na ba yung "Cub Scouts"?

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by j_avonni View Post
    Wala na ba yung "Cub Scouts"?
    Meron pa din. Actually the term "Cub Scout" is used (I believe) sa US pero counterpart natin nito is "Kab Scout". Ewan ko lang kung pinalitan nila ngayon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Boy & Girl Scouts of the Philippines