New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    guys, what do you say about this? it says that taxes for CBUs will be 0%. what will happen to prices of vehicles when this is implemented?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here's the full text of EO 617:

http://www.tariffcommission.gov.ph/eo_617.htm

This is already in effect and just implements the ASEAN-AFTA free trade (tariff elimination) agreements made before.

For vehicles, that means that when we get CBUs from Malaysia, Thailand or Indonesia no tariff is charged upon entry here in the Philippines. In the same manner, when we export CBU vehicles (like the Focus & Mazda3) to the same countries (plus Vietnam and Singapore) they don't impose a tariff like before.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    but some articles say it's still not in effect due to insistence of CAMPI to exclude used CBUs. so CBUs from japan and korea are included in this EO? and if this is really in effect, how come the prices of toyota thai CBUs and some CBUs from thailand that are sold by honda, mitsubishi, chevrolet and isuzu have not yet decreased?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Oops my bad... EO 617 is not yet published.

AFAIK - used vehicles is not covered by EO617.

I think what CAMPI is protesting would be the increase CBU and reduction of CKD units entering the country. What's funny though is that the only volume exporter of CBU units is not a member of CAMPI (Ford / Mazda).

CBU units from Japan are covered under the JPEPA. We have a similar agreement (ASEAN-Korea FTA) for Korea though.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    so is this a good thing or bad thing? nalilito ako sa discussion nyo

prices will get lower right? tapos high-quality pa kasi hindi assembled dito

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    prices should be lower.but the next question is, what will happen to the local industries?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by VtEC View Post
    prices should be lower.but the next question is, what will happen to the local industries?
    Instead of complaining... they should try to emulate Ford / Mazda by making the Philippines the export base for one or two of their car models.

E.g. Thailand makes the Strada, Indonesia makes the Fuzion, Philippines makes the Lancer.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    sorry kung me katangahan ang tanong ko ha ano yung CBU at CKD?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by onat_1 View Post
    sorry kung me katangahan ang tanong ko ha ano yung CBU at CKD?
    Completely Build Units

Completely Knock Down

tama ba? just a wild guess on the second one.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VtEC View Post
    i guess we all just have to accept that the only resource we're good * exporting are peopleware. i doubt if we can even make it big in the automative world. we're just a small island with less metal deposits.

in the meantime, let's enjoy what our good Pres. has to offer. cheaper Jap, Korean, american cars, parang computer na hehehe and goodbye PUV's, my dream is for all pinoys to have 1:1 car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Executive Order 617