New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Is it true that there are some places that prohibits you from taking out your d/slr's and using it ? Example places would be malls, BHS, serendra etc. etc.

It is said too that those who are using digicams and cellphone cams are allowed while those who are using d/slr's aren't and should have a permit first before the owner could use it.

Is it true ? I mean, if they're preventing people from taking pictures then they should not only focus on those who owns d/slr camera's but also who owns and uses digicams and cellphone cams since they have the same purpose.

:: http://www.digitalphotographer.com.p...ramuros+policy

thread is quite long already, started off 2007 and ended sometime in 2009.

Tsk. I`ve been planning on purchasing one pa naman sana
    soon.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The guards in BHS and Serendra have already given up shooing DSLR users away I think they draw the line when you start taking pictures of the storefronts and merchandise but otherwise you're free to shoot.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    There are places that prohibit the use of a camera, might it be DSLR or a cheap autofocus film-camera.

Typically it is about copyright thingie like products on the shelves that can be copied through some pictures taken (although that doesn't stop you from buying one or a few as samples and then taking pictures of it then).

Certain places also prohibit cameras because of architectural design or something like that.

Others, they might say that the camera flash might harm certain objects (like paintings or ancient artifacts) or bother people working/staying at the location.

Personally, I just keep the camera in my pocket and bring it out when there is no guard/official looking. Great if you have a small digital camera but DSLRs can't be hidden as easily.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ^ I would hope that the guards were to prohibit point-and-shoot camera users too.

But upon reading the thread there were several experiences cited wherein guards only calls the attention of the dslr users and not the small camera users who was taking pictures too.

And the funny thing is the common excuse that the guards give is DSLR's being big and hi-tech wherein digicams being small and low-tech.

WTH.

Anyways, i'm thinking if I should buy the Panasonic lumix LX3 since it's shots were somewhat similar to slr's and it's definitely smaller. Im not looking for brand new units though, used units will be fine with me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post

Tsk. I`ve been planning on purchasing one pa naman sana
    soon.
    You can try for a higher end digital camera like: Canon Powershot S90

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=19210

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0908/09...s90handson.asp

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...-33765880.html

-----------------------------

As for me, I am thinking of getting the Canon Powershot SX210is

- 14mp with 14x optical zoom plus other features.

Last edited by ghosthunter; April 16th, 2010 at 01:13 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    ^^ or the micro four thirds cameras.

OT:

I was about to buy a D90 Dslr as well here in Japan but a native friend was totally disgusted and stopped me from buying one because they find it "not cool" at all. She said she won't accompany me lugging that huge thing around. I asked why, she said it's a hobby for "old people".
    taking pictures of establishments here is prevented by law as well. even the mere act of looking at someone else's house is socially unacceptable that's why when you see Japanese people walking down residential areas, they are always looking down.

so I'm saving up for an EP-1 or it's cheaper variant EPL-1.
    Last edited by Negus; April 16th, 2010 at 01:48 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Negus View Post
    ^^ or the micro four thirds cameras.
    Agree.

Pros:
    - Smaller than a DSLR (but bigger than a compact camera).
    - Not as noisy as a DSLR (no sound of the mirror slap).
    - Image quality is better than a compact camera and is close to a DSLR. The sensor is bigger than the one in a compact camera but slightly smaller than the one in a DSLR.

Cons:
    - Costs as much as a budget DSLR.
    - Autofocus is a bit slower compared to a DSLR.

so I'm saving up for an EP-1 or it's cheaper variant EPL-1.
    I'm waiting for the "pro" version of Olympus' micro four thirds.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Can I get a decent 2nd hand micro four third camera or the suggestions of GH at 15k ?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Cameras are prohibited in places where there is a potential to infringe copyright.

In places of high importance such as museums, art houses, libraries and historic places you may or may not need a permit to capture photos. The key here is asking before shooting.

If photography is your passion then you should not settle for anything less than a DSLR, keeping in mind the costs of this hobby is staggering. But relative to car modding this should be a bit cheaper and most of the time more rewarding.

But for common everyday use. a Canon G11 would suffice.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by daimengrui View Post
    If photography is your passion then you should not settle for anything less than a DSLR, keeping in mind the costs of this hobby is staggering. But relative to car modding this should be a bit cheaper and most of the time more rewarding.
    Hindi rin. I know a lot of people who've had to stop car modification because their lens-procuring habits have eaten away the majority of their funds.

The big difference with DSLRs is you can potentially make a career out of using them - a number of new wedding photographers started out this route. In the Philippines one generally cannot say the same for modded cars.

BTW, beware of Micro Four Thirds LENSES. They're relatively hard to find and they're usually more expensive like-for-like vs. DSLR lenses. I'm also interested in Panasonic's MFT cameras, but the lenses...the lenses...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
using d/slr's prohibited ?