New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    [SIZE=4]helo po sa inyong lahat! what can you say po about sa reliability (durability), ease of maintenance, economy(e.g. fuel efficiency), comfort, looks and performance ng Mercedes Benz W126?[/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Durability: Matibay ang first gen w126 engines, except 380SE/SEL kasi single row timing chain yon prone to breaking if long overdue. May conversion to double row timing chain pero mahal. Second gen w126 300SDL (1986/1987) has aluminum head, prone to headgasket problems kaya don't overheat them. 300SE/SEL models have M103 engine also prone to headgasket failure at very high mileage. Other engines are fine, but V8 models tend to run hot (typical of their nature).

Maintenance: Easy to DIY if you know what you're doing, otherwise take it to somebody who knows what he's doing. Benz parts can be cheap, when canvassing don't tell them it's for a Benz. You should know the part number para part lang kunin mo not related to car (may patong pa yon minsan kasi).

Economy: 300SD pinakamatipid, as well as 300SDL (diesels). 300SE/SEL matipid kung puro highway driving, otherwise malakas ito kumuha ng gasolina for today's standards.

Comfort: Very comfortable since this was the flagship model back in the 80's. Long wheelbase models have 6 more inches of legroom, even more comfortable if the rear seats are adjustable (rare option) and have headrests (not so rare option). Very good chassis even by today's standards.

Looks: Depende na yon sa tumitingin, pero I like the w126 kasi marami pwede gawin. Some have lowered it, installed AMG's, full tint, etc.

Performance: Malakas kung sa malakas, but remember this is a 3800lb car (1500kg+) empty. These cars excel on the highway. City driving is fine if you shift to S instead of D on automatic models and want more get up and go. Otherwise leave it in D and just stomp on the go pedal if needed. If you really want a performance based w126, na production model and not AMG, go for the 500SEL or 560SEL. Kung diesel naman, 300SDL ang malakas na makina.

AVOID any 350SDL, panget ang makina nito (rod bender). Otherwise if you spot one with a bad engine, install the engine from a 300SDL. 350SDL has more options kasi so masmodelo, so if you install 300SDL engine into it, you get best of both worlds.

For utmost reliability, 300SD wins hands down. Old reliable turbodiesel engine + comfort of S class + simplicity of maintenance + fuel economy. Some prefer the 300SE/300SEL for gasoline counterpart of 300SD. I agree.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Les007 View Post
    [SIZE=4]helo po sa inyong lahat! what can you say po about sa reliability (durability), ease of maintenance, economy(e.g. fuel efficiency), comfort, looks and performance ng Mercedes Benz W126?[/SIZE]
    I'm a w126 owner here, mine is a 1990 260SE with 2.6 liter M103 6 cylinder engine (gas). In terms of durability, isa ito sa pinakamatibay na Benz, as far as fuel economy is concerned medyo may kalakasan sa gas ito kaya I use mine as a weekend car, when it comes to ease of maintainance, I would say that its pretty much the same as maintaining a w123 and a w124. Pag dating sa riding comfort talong talo dito ang w123 saka w124 lalo na pag long distance cruising ka. (that's why I prefer my w126 over my w123 and w124 kung bibiyahe ako). Sa looks naman, medyo subjective yan, pero for me mas gusto ko ang w126 kesa sa w140 na sumunod sa w126. Performance wise ok naman siya although since same engine siya sa 260E ko, minsan bitin ako sa overtaking.

Actually, I like the w126 so much that I am contemplating on getting another one, but this time I want a 300SD for my wife and my daughter to be driven around in one.
    Last edited by ronw123w124; December 3rd, 2008 at 05:31 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    [SIZE=4]naku mga sir very informative po yung mga post niyo, sa gas consumption po ba the bigger the engine ba the more na mas malakas kumonsumo ang W126? sa case ng SE at SEL with the same engine,ilang kilometer ang difference nung dalawa as per kilometers/ liter?
    pwede po ba malaman yung mga gas consumption data ng mga W126 niyo for city, mixed and highway? salamat po!
    [/SIZE]

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    + 1 to what Pat and Ron has just said....

and a piece of trivia as well: Taipan Lucio Tan also likes his W126 LWB...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    + 1 to what Pat and Ron has just said....

and a piece of trivia as well: Taipan Lucio Tan also likes his W126 LWB...
    I heard from the grapevine that tycoon Lucio Tan likes his w126 so much that he bought a parts car just so he can continue using it inspite of having newer and much more expensive cars.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    hehehe.... Ron.. kaya gusto ko rin magka W126 eh.....

Black on Black with super heavy tints.....

Syndicato ang dating... hehehe

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    hehehe.... Ron.. kaya gusto ko rin magka W126 eh.....

Black on Black with super heavy tints.....

Syndicato ang dating... hehehe
    Mafia ang dating nyan Francis , maganda rin na kulay sa w126 yung "Blue Black metallic" lalo na with black interior.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Napaghahalata kayong dalawa

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    [SIZE=4]good morning po! mga sir ask ko lang kung alin po sa mga ito ang pinakamatipid at pinaka makonsumo sa gas: 260SE, 280SE, 300 SE, o 500SE? what po konsumo nila per Km/L?[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Mercedes Benz W126 - All abouts!