New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    I bought a 1987 190d 2.5 (non-turbo) last Oct'10. I love the ride and the engine of this car. I would like to know other owners and exchange experiences, ideas and stories of our beloved 190d with the 602 engine.

So far this is what I can share:

RIDE: Just the sound of closing the door guarantees you a safe and quiet ride - sobrang solid ng tunog pagsara even after 23 years, kahit nun bago yun Japanese car ko dati (1995) hindi ganun ang tunog! smooth & quiet, especially for a diesel except for the vibration when on idle. And the turning radius was quite a surprise...mas maliit pa kesa sentra ko!

ENGINE: Has the potential to be as responsive as gas engine (whenever I load up with Petron turbo diesel...much on this later). The claim "Bullet proof" is still to be proven. A bit lazy on speeds below 60kph but let's out the beast 80kph onwards...pang-Autobahn talaga!

FUEL CONSUMPTION: 8-8.5kpl (19mpg) for city driving on regular diesel (Shell) mostly EDSA and C5 which is helluva traffic. I want to know if this is normal? the manual says i should get around 11kpl.
    ...and am planning to test it on NLEX or SLEX soon.

Kayo? paano napamahal sa inyo ang 190d 2.5 nyo?
    It would be nice to hear other stories and trivia about the car good or bad.
    Even more so tips on where to buy parts and service.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Re: Fuel consumption

Not that bad .. for a 24 year old car .. .. Owner's manual figures are based on tests done by the manufacturer under "specific" conditions, ie. ambient temps, altitude, test course, etc., so real-world fuel consumption would vary (+ or -) ..

Glad to know you're enjoying your MB.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    MPG usually.. i deduct about 2km/l on the manufacturer's reading... sa grabe ng traffic dito... that's a good guesstimate na rin..

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    thanks to both your replies...at least now am more confident that my engine is giving me good mileage.

As for the Petron turbo diesel, i have proven 2 things as compared to shell velocity diesel:
    1. It makes the engine run a bit quieter. Specially on cold starts in the morning, dati rinig talaga tappets but when i PTDiesel nawala yun ingay ng tappets (I swear!)
    2. Improved engine power/torque. It's like an octane boost, when i push on the pedal i can really feel the power. May hatak talaga, parang gas engine ang dating as compared to ordinary diesel - shell velocity diesel doesn't give my car this much juice.

But as far as fuel economy/consumption goes, ganun pa rin 420km for 50ltrs.
    I even tried driving at an average of 55kph. ganun pa rin. So fuel economy is basically URBAN LEGEND.

Would using synthetic oil give me better mileage or is this just another urban legend?

appreciate your inputs.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Ways to improve mileage:

1. Drive on a light foot
    2. Drive without aircon (only on cool days)
    3. Throw out the junk in the trunk
    4. Inflate tires to correct spec
    5. Plan your trips, avoid traffic

420kms for a full tank is sweet, I assume always on yung aircon at may passengers lagi yung kotse? It might be worth the premium to pay for a sorted-out 190D instead of an E.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Re: synthetic oil ... I would not recommend it. synthetic oils have "very-good" detergent qualities that when used in a classic engine such as yours, the oil will eat away good deposits .. (those that prevent the seals from leaking etc. etc.) .. bottomline, you'll end up with a leaker .. or worse! As far as mileage vis-a-vis engine oil is concerned ... its a long shot.

I suggest you use 20W-50 mineral oil ..

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    *tanatej: yup, aircon is always on lalo nowadays tirik lagi araw pag noontime.

*lowslow: thanks for the input on synthetic oil...Benzmizer also advised me against synthetics and made me realize that a 5k oil change is much better than using synthetic.

My problem now is that the oil gauge goes a bit below 1 BAR. This happened after my recent oil change. I used revx ( i think) basta yun pinakamura ng Petron, cos i plan to use it only for about 1,000 kms - as an engine flush - then after 1k, palit ng mobil1 1140 40W monograde oil.

Still, to be sure I will bring it to Mike Lugtu for a check-up. I want to make sure the vacuum lines are good...then fix the leak on the oil pump (sabi ni mang paul/RONA silicone lng daw pwede na - any inputs?), then hand brake (mahina na kapit), then after all mechanical stuff papadetail ko na sya! woohoo!!!

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Re: oil pressure below 1 Bar ... that's just okay, the oil you bought may have a low viscosity rating (malabnaw) .. Try getting higher weight oil (malapot) like 20W-50. Oil pressure would build up accordingly.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    thanks lowslow! the mechanic said the same thing...had the oil changed na to mobil 1140 40W - monograde lang kaya eh, but it's good enough for 5k kms.

Problema ko ngayon yun water pump and oil pump:

WATER PUMP - may konting leak. baka lumaki so am now in search of an affordable water pump for a 602 engine. anyone you know who has a spare? sana kaya ng budget...

OIL PUMP - not so bad. may konting leak din but nothing a good fitting gasket can't fix. I plan to use an asbestos sheet and just cut it snug fit.

thanks in advance!

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpy569 View Post
    thanks lowslow! the mechanic said the same thing...had the oil changed na to mobil 1140 40W - monograde lang kaya eh, but it's good enough for 5k kms.

Problema ko ngayon yun water pump and oil pump:

WATER PUMP - may konting leak. baka lumaki so am now in search of an affordable water pump for a 602 engine. anyone you know who has a spare? sana kaya ng budget...

OIL PUMP - not so bad. may konting leak din but nothing a good fitting gasket can't fix. I plan to use an asbestos sheet and just cut it snug fit.

thanks in advance!
    Actually ... monograde oil is OK .. we're living in the sunny tropics!

Re: Water pump .. Best if you get a brand new part, remember that this is a critical (engine) component .. If it fails .. your car is not going anywhere! Try going to the suki MB stores and inquire .. it may be the same as the ones for a OM603 .. I'm not sure though.

Oil gasket .. get those "paper type" gaskets .. Velumoid comes into mind .. asbestos type gaskets are too thick IMO. Don't forget to apply gasket shellac or some silicone RTV too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
W201 190d owners and lovers post here!