New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    OK..I freely admit to not being the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree when it comes to I.T. based topics, but I need help understanding why anybody would want a web-based TV box.
    By this I mean the Apple TV box costing around US$100.

From what I understand, you buy this, plug it into your HD TV, connect to your home wireless internet system, and then go on-line to the apple store and RENT tv shows at 99cents per episode!
    WHY????????
    Why do this when I can have a satellite costing me less than 1000 peso per MONTH and watch TV whenever I want 24 hours a day!

What have I missed here???????

Somebody please help!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear View Post
    OK..I freely admit to not being the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree when it comes to I.T. based topics, but I need help understanding why anybody would want a web-based TV box.
    By this I mean the Apple TV box costing around US$100.

From what I understand, you buy this, plug it into your HD TV, connect to your home wireless internet system, and then go on-line to the apple store and RENT tv shows at 99cents per episode!
    WHY????????
    Why do this when I can have a satellite costing me less than 1000 peso per MONTH and watch TV whenever I want 24 hours a day!

What have I missed here???????

Somebody please help!

Going beyond the brand (Apple), web TV is basically watching content what you want, when you want. You don't just rely on what is showing now or catching a tv show or movie at it's programed airing time.

With satellite or cable TV, you are still stuck with 200 channels airing tv programs or movies at their scheduled times.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Going beyond the brand (Apple), web TV is basically watching content what you want, when you want. You don't just rely on what is showing now or catching a tv show or movie at it's programed airing time.

With satellite or cable TV, you are still stuck with 200 channels airing tv programs or movies at their scheduled times.
    That's about it for Web-TV. Programming on demand. There's convenience with Apple TV... and heck... if people want to pay for it... people will pay for it.

Personally... I don't mind TiVoing myself...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

I think it will need to get a hell of a lot cheaper in order to entice the vast majority of people.
    It won't take many 99cent TV programs to run up a HUGE bill. I'll stick to my Dream satellite for now, and if I get bored with the programs on offer, I'll go out for a beer!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    That's about it for Web-TV. Programming on demand. There's convenience with Apple TV... and heck... if people want to pay for it... people will pay for it.

Personally... I don't mind TiVoing myself...
    I rather *******.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Convenience and Convergence.....

11.5K:cheers2:

8. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    Convenience and Convergence.....
    ... and Choice!

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    Another issue I've had trying to watch any streaming TV is that you need a seriously fast internet connection to be able to watch anything.
    Even trying to watch a VERY bad quality youtube video is PAINFULLY slow.....and when I try to go on-line to watch English Premier League football, after only a few minutes I give up! It's like watching a slide show.....1 frame every 3 or 4 minutes, then it freezes up completely.....and this is on my 50mps network in my China apartment. Try this on my 'super-fast' 2 (yes TWO)mps connection at home in Philippines and you'll be slitting your wrists in frustration.

Anybody out there have these problems? I'm using a new super fast HP tablet computer, so I know it's not a hardware issue.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Lots of reasons as stated above, convenience. Another thing is interactive. For sure in the future, we will have interactive TV.

A lot of things are hindering this technology but consider this:

1. Just a few years ago, 56kbps was the norm in communication, now, its common to see 1mbps at the households (WiFi to boot). A few years from now, 10mbps will be the norm or maybe higher.

2. Cost. Skycable started with packages of 1000+. Satellite was also at that price. You'll see prices going down once demand goes up. You will see people hooking up their 50" LCD TV on the net watching movies, doing their own instant replay, and doing searches in Google/Wikipedia at the same time.

3. No need for a PC to update your Facebook. Open your TV and tada!! Update away.

4. You could hook up your Ipad to watch TV where ever you are at home, even while doing your thing in the john.

Ah, the possibilities are endless. Cant wait for the future. . ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Web based TV - what's the point?