New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have a 1998 Kia Besta 2.2L van.. unfortunately, engine is going south.. what are my choices of engine? I called wilcor and they gave me the following:

1) same engine 2.2L (RF engine perhaps?)
    2) RF Turbo Diesel
    3) R2 engine (2008) release

the 3 choices does not require any changing of mounts and will make use of my existing transmission while:

4) 2.7L engine

would require change mounts, subframe, and tranny.

What do you think would be cost effective?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The 2.2 makes a bit less power than the 2.7 but if you get a Mazda version, I'd say it will be reliable. The 2.7's airbox also sits low and isn't a good idea for flooded roads.

If its just for an everyday hauler (pang harabas), I'd forego the turbo option and stick with simple and economical normally aspirated engine. The turbo option does sound yummy if properly tuned and there would be no plumbing issues (tight engine bay).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well.. the van will definitely be used as a family hauler... as in 3 families in one van. hahaha..:p that's why an option for a bigger engine (r2 or 2.7L) or turbod was included.

I asked around regarding the parts availability of the turbo engine including the turbo itself, and the shop said, it is very well supported and supplies are abundant.. kaya napaisip lang ako. hehehe..all are mazda engines by the way.. japan surplus not korea.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup, same engine iyan ng B2200 pick up dati. If wala ka problem sa plumbing and stuff, ok naman turbo.

Yung sa mga FX minsan na naka-turbo swap parang hindi naman tuned ng maayos. Nakakainis lang. hehehe.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    finally got to the engine swap.. installed a japanese 2.5L NA engine in place of my 2.2L diesel engine... Can't really remember where the engine came from.. but i suspect it may have come from the B2500 mazda series.. or some other van... ganda ng hatak.. nde na hirap yung van.. finally....

Quote Originally Posted by HBOY View Post
    finally got to the engine swap.. installed a japanese 2.5L NA engine in place of my 2.2L diesel engine... Can't really remember where the engine came from.. but i suspect it may have come from the B2500 mazda series.. or some other van... ganda ng hatak.. nde na hirap yung van.. finally....
    nice swap!

if it's a 2.5-litre then that must be the WL-31 from a late model B2500. nice choice sir! how much did it cost you?

a friend of mine said that the WL-turbo (automatic) is now available for approx P35T. this is also the engine of the first gen ford ranger diesels here in the Philippines.

we would love to see photos of your newly swapped engine/engine bay and the van.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a 2.5L turbo was also in my choices.. but since the van will be used mostly by my sister and her family (not too keen on cars), i preferred the simpler NA engine over the turbo. My old engine a 2.2L black valve cover engine (magnum ata or magma writign on top) was replaced due to the fact that it was already overhauled twice, then about early this year.. it just couldn't get up antipolo anymore with AC... the thought of overhauling the engine was just not an option anymore... so went around asking for options.. that's where the engien choices came in.

Got the engine at wilcor banawe.. 38k inclusive of tranny... kumpleto yung makina nung kinuha namin.. so no worries, just replacement of engine support, plug it in, and change oil.. swak!.. i'll take a pix of the engine once i get hold of the van from my sister.. the engine as cora of wilcor mentioned came from a 2008 vehicle bagong bagsak lang DAW sa kanila nun engine. barely 2 weeks old.. silver ang top.. jap engine sya at nde korean... i still have to re-check the papers to see what exactly is the model of the engine.. sa sobrang excited ko na bilhin at ikabit. nde ko na masyado naintindi yung ibang details.. ehehhe..:D

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Hi padre...I am interested to see how the engine replacement looked. Will you be able to post some pictures..also can you refer me to the surplus shop store who sold you the engine. will check if they have another unit. Thanks

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Sir HBOY, request naman po for pic and more detail, i'm planning also to change my engine of besta 2.2. Kasama na po ba yung kabit sa binilhan nyo ng makina???

TIA

10. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Yup, same engine iyan ng B2200 pick up dati. If wala ka problem sa plumbing and stuff, ok naman turbo.

Yung sa mga FX minsan na naka-turbo swap parang hindi naman tuned ng maayos. Nakakainis lang. hehehe.
    Sir, ano po ba ibig sa sabihin ng plumbing sa turbo? paano at bakit itune yung turbo? just asking kasi walam akong idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Kia Besta 2.2L - engine choices