New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    The aug issue of 4x4 Australia reviewed the used jackaroo/trooper models from 98 using the 3L 4JX1 engine. I'd like to quote some interesting points:
    1) The caterpillar HEUI system relies on oil pressure to run the injection. By 70k km, many of these holdens were hit by troubles, beginning with leaking O-ring seals for the injectors. Caterpillar provided revised O-rings for isuzu to retro-fit, and in most cases it seemed to work.
    Bottom line: anything built before Nov 3, 1999, was subject to a recall to fix it, so make sure this has been done.
    2) The type of oil used is crucial, too. The injection needs low-viscosity oil to pressurize properly, especially when the engine's cold, so the recommended 5w-30 or 5w-40 synthetic is not negotiable. The wrong oil not only makes the jackaroo hard to start, but may lead to O-ring problems.
    3) To compound the Holden's injection issues, the engine isn't very tolerant of bad diesel fuel. It can get smoky, lose performance and suffer seal failures- all the things that became difficult for subsequent high-tech diesels when they encountered our crook fuel in australia.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    jackaroo,

We're safe, 2000 models na tayo and matic tranny na. Most casa horror stories (inteco QA) are those pre-2000 4JX1 models with manual tranny.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I forgot to mention, 4x4 nga lang sila....

4. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Also glad we have biodiesel for our engines. The better lubricity of coco diesel may help lengthen the life of our injector seals.

Do you think we can order o-ring seals from the local caterpillar distributor instead of isuzu?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that biodiesel, thanks for reminding... tawagan ko nga si garyq..

o-ring seals -- we need the specs, I'll ask if I can...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    wala bang adverse effect yung biodiesel sa mga injection pump and fuel delivery systems?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    mbt,

So far biodiesel has improved performance, smoother engine- guess lubricity claims actually work.
    Try it before price goes thru the roof!

Trooper review in 4x4 australia