New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2003

i would just like to share about the oil catch tank i installed on my 4jb1t about a week ago: it's a rebadged greddy

*the catch tank can be DIY'd if you have time to source out. =)

some benefits:

- clean intake pipes (as it was full of gunk from blowby oil fumes coming from the valve cover breather which was also sucked in by the turbo...as they say isuzu are known to be heavy breathers)

- improved a lil on pulling power (mas magaan dalhin)

it's a must-have for all turbo-charged engines...

got the tip from our folks over at clubisuzu.com (mostly MU and Bighorn users)

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    ... i installed a catch can system also and i agree with the benefits, less smoke and my turbo inlet is a lot drier and cleaner.. i just fabricated it from a used aircon reciever drier, cut in two, then placed a steel mesh inside to filter the oil mists, the welded it shut, after installing an inlet and outlet tubes.. got idea from the same site you mentioned.. i have isuzu MU 3.1 '96 auto.. recently installed a top mounted intercooler from a bighorn, including the scoop. increased torque and HP..

3. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    yeah...most of them are diy'ers kaya puro fabricated lang den yung sa kanila and some even connected the drain of the catch tank to the bottom of the dip stick...it's good though that you were able to DIY it.

i've gotten some very good answers from my queries over there.

turbo inlet is almost dry now...i still see some sweat marks but im thinking those are just residues already.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Sir BeetOls and Sir dsuguitan,

Sana magkaron kayo ng idea para gawin isang commercial venture ang pag supply ng "Oil Catch Can" sa mga Isuzu owners! Count me in as a sure buyer!!

Thanks!!

where do you tapped it? did you just reroute the hose from the crankcase going back to air intake?? gagawan ko din liteace ko, to.. maximize ko power kasi ng maliit na makina nito,e....

may nagsabi sa akin, ung oil daw na yun is used to re-lubricate/ add-on lubrication para daw sa turbo impeller

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    hello..alwayz, i just re-routed it ( crank case-- hose-- Engine breather can-- hose-- air intake).. i fabricated mine by using an old aircon evaporator drier; ( any metal cylinder would do, length should be > 6 inches) 1. cut into 2 halves ( upper half 1/3 of the can, lower half; 2/3 of the can. 2. install a metal tube on opposite side on the top half . 3. place some steel wool, the one i used was the steel wool used in cleaning the bottom of kalderos,( it acts as a filter, but does not create much resistance to airflow) you can buy that at a sari-sari store or the palengke.. place it inside the can, ideally between the two metal tubes so the oil mists coming from the crank case will be wiped by the steel wool, 3. drill a small hole a the bottom of the lower half of the can, and tread a screw to seal it ( it acts as a drain plug).. 4. weld the two halves together.. 5. attach the hose coming from crankcase to one of the metal tubings (inlet).. 6. attach a hose on the opposite end of the metal tube (outlet) then back to air intake.. turbos have their own oil and water supply, if the clearances of the impeller shafts are above tolerances, it's bound to go anyway .. just my two cents opinion.. the engine breather can just reduces the oil mists coming out of the crankcase ( from blown piston rings )... just one way of reducing black smoke from the exhaust, I also have a JDM subic vehicle. it's an Isuzu MU 3.1 auto, it's done 1900000 kms. almost finished restoring it. turn signal lights, fuel remote lids,side view mirrors, gear box, steering steering link, center link, idle arm, shifting knob are all LHD isuzus.. dashboard, including the horizontal bracket where the steering components and the hydro-vac are attached are LHD and aircon components came from the isuzu crosswind.. had a fun time re-converting it and sourcing the parts.. even had more fun modifying it ( topmounted intercooler with scoop, LSD diff, manual locking front hubs..

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Sir dsuguitan,

Napaka linaw ng pagka describe mo ng pagawa nun oil catch can. Now to find a discarded aircon evaporator drier and somebody to weld the aluminum canister will be my next question. At P50.00 yun aircon drier payag na siguro yun mga a/c shops ano? Then yun mga muffler shops, kaya na nila iweld yun aluminum can, di ba?? I hope "oo" sagot mo!!

Thanks a lot!!

8. FrankDrebin Guest
    Mga sir(s), applicable ba ito sa N/A engines?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Sir FD, by principle, all engines utilizing PCV valves can be fitted with this though turbo engines would tend to need it more as it sucks in more air (together with blowby gases) compared to NA ones. This would hamper your turbo and and intercooler to perform efficiently as these gases accumulate (sludge buildup) and eventually clog things up. And as mentioned, some would say a lil amount of oil is good for lubrication but as i read, they're far from making any difference.
    Last edited by BeetOls; September 27th, 2007 at 10:43 PM.

10. FrankDrebin Guest
    Thanks sir BeetOls! Sana may nabibiling ready-for-installation or shop na gumagawa para sa mga non-mechanical butingting knowledgable peeps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Oil catch can install