New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Hi tsikot gurus. I hope you could help me. I don't quite understand what's the problem with my crosswind's headlight. Details below:
    Unit: 2001 crosswind XTO

Headlight problem:
    1. It has very poor dim light. If there's a car behind, you would see your cars shadow even with your head light on. That's how poor the light is.
    2. The bright doesn't work. Sometimes, it would work for like 1 or 2 seconds, and it will go off. But very much often, it doesn't work at all.

Other facts:
    1. I just had my headlight bulb replaced last month. When I had the headlight checked this afternoon, one of the socket showed some burning signs, I had it replaced with a ceramic socket, still the problem exist. The bulb is 100/90 or 95 Watts. Which performs way lower than the original 60/55W as I see it.
    2. The electrician who checked it this morning said that because we used a higher wattage bulb, and my crosswind doesn't have a relay, the switch board something may have been damaged. He said that we'd have to remove the steering wheel, and check the switch board tomorrow.

Any ideas guys? Thanks a lot.

benchao

This headlight issue started a few days ago.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    ganyan ang dating nangyari sa box type namin, wala pa akong alam noon,ang ginawa ko nakabili ako ng 100/90watts ( not sure pero halos ganito) then nilagay ko lang without putting a relay. pagtagal tagal naging intyermittent ang operation ng headlight then ng ipatingin ko nasunog na ang wiring, pinalitan pati ang switch(assembly) sa manibela.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Minsan pahamak din talaga mechaniko. I just instructed na palitan yung head light kasi pundi na ata yung bright. I didn't say palitan ng mas mataas na wattage. Nilagay mas mataas na wattage. Kainis.

And it wasn't a soso talyer. Looks could sometimes be deceiving.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    your crosswind has no headlight relay??? i thought all recent model vehicles had headlight relays! anyway, what you should check first, is the bulb socket. maybe it's just a loose connection due to overheatiing and melting of some joints. replacing the socket should cure the problem. check also the visible wiring before you tear the innards apart.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Thanks Raine and Dr. D.

I did had the socket replaced yesterday. The wires where okay. But the bright still doesn't work. What do you think Dr. D? I guess the 2001 xto doesn't have a relay. I'll have it checked again tomorrow.

Melvin

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Maybe the problem is the column switch. The switch inside the steering wheel assembly.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    sir, pag ba nagfla-flash ka eh umiilaw yung high beam indicator sa dashboard nyo? kung oo, hindi sira ang switch column nyo.

then check your bulbs, baka pundido ang high beam filament niya. had it replaced kung busted na sir. then palagay ka na din ng relay for safety and stability.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Always use the oem bulb rating (60/55W).
    Maybe its draining the system.
    Also check your alternator belt for wear and tightness.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    All vehcles that comes out new are with OEM relay to cater to it's OEM (advised) headlight wattage --- 60/55w. Anhy wattage above this may (and would) require additional relay.

It makes me wonder since you mentioned that you had the sockets replaced with ceramic ones.... those suppose to come with a relay too, right? I had my Trooper's replace with ceramic sockets and it came with an additional relay already. I had the bulbs replaced with 100/90w na din. No problem since.

Any chance it may be a case of "melted" wires used for the headlights? THe consequeces of installing higher wattage bulbs without using additional relays may have been costly.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Thanks everyone. I had the relay replaced. It fixed the problem. Then, I reverted back to the OEM 60/55W all weather bulb. There were some signs of burned out socket where the relay was (perhaps also sue to the higher wattage used). But it worked just fine after the relay was replaced. Which is also why I went back to the 60/55W bulb. I wouldn't want to loose my headlight during the time that I needed it most - night driving, in exchange for a brighter headlight.

BTW, when I bought the ceramic socket, it didn't come with the relay. The socket was just P75.

I guess I'll be settling with the 60/55W for life. Now I need to get that fog lights. My crosswind doesn't have a fog light when I bought it. Anyone has it? How much? 2001 Crosswind XTO is my ride.

Thanks everyone again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
My head light has a prob.  need help.