New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Greetings to all you good folks at Tsikot,
    Am new to the Philippines and an even newer addition to the Tsikot-family! Have been on the lookout for a pre-owned mid-size SUV for arnd PHP 500-550K. Have been offered a Hilander 2001 with 42k odo reading, first owned and in good condition for just under 400k-please let me know ur thoughts on this. Also, would anyone have the specs for the Hilander? Any help on the above will be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks & best wishes...

:U may send me a private message if u choose to:

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Around 75-79 hp, 2.5 liter diesel.

Not a bad vehicle, check that all the controls are in working order, and that the gearshift is not too loose. Check radiator hoses and power steering hoses, as these might be a little soft or worn at this point (but with only 42k kms, it should be okay).

The diesel engine should start up with one click and might smoke at start-up, but should be relatively clean once up to temperature.

On the test drive, check that there are no funny noises from under the car (the chairs might squeak or rattle, though, and the engine is definitely noisy). Don't mind the stiff, loose ride, the Highlander isn't really car-level comfortable anyway. Check for funny alignment issues that may point to chassis damage, and check that the brakes work (they're weak, but they should work).

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Very reliable, maintenance is cheap, parts is abundant, ride quality is better than the Crosswind XUV/XUVi/Sportivo.

It's the best AUV in our family, 1 1997 Hilander SL, 1 1998 Hilander SLX and mine 2000 Hilander XTRM.

4. FrankDrebin Guest
    Ride & Style: It sucks.
    Maintenance: Two-thumbs up. 10-13km/l; 4 lts of oil; cheap filters

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Syuryuken View Post
    Very reliable, maintenance is cheap, parts is abundant, ride quality is better than the Crosswind XUV/XUVi/Sportivo.

It's the best AUV in our familyand mine 2000 Hilander XTRM.
    Would you know ang major difference ng 2000 hilander versus 2002 hilander crosswind? Tnx.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The 2002 Crosswind has bigger wheels... I think when they changed the name to Crosswind, they went with the heavier, 6-lug hubs. The 2000 Hilander still has the "Tamaraw" look square body, the 2002 version is sleeker looking, but heavier.

The older four (or five? Can't recall) lug Hilanders ride a bit better and have a lighter body.

Hehe.. multiple Hilanders... my Mom rides a 2004 XUVi and my dad uses a 2002 XTO (the funky green colored edition, with matching black leather seats with green stitching... ) and a 2000 Hilander. From riding the 2002 Crosswind, I like the ride better than our taller, off-road tired XUVi... But my Dad swears that the 2000 Hilander rides even better...

So I guess, with Crosswinds, the older you go, the better the ride gets...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Thanks NIKy. I want to know the major changes kasi marami maintenance problem na lumalabas sa crosswind ko well baka ito yun so called "Lemon".

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Siam View Post
    Greetings to all you good folks at Tsikot,
    Am new to the Philippines and an even newer addition to the Tsikot-family! Have been on the lookout for a pre-owned mid-size SUV for arnd PHP 500-550K. Have been offered a Hilander 2001 with 42k odo reading, first owned and in good condition for just under 400k-please let me know ur thoughts on this. Also, would anyone have the specs for the Hilander? Any help on the above will be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks & best wishes...

:U may send me a private message if u choose to:
    you can get 2002 xto or xuv 2002 much better crosswind with 6 stud while hilander 4 stud only.

4ja1 super tipid last saturday paranaque bauan,batangas paranaque 15.35 km/L

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XUV-AT2002 View Post
    Thanks NIKy. I want to know the major changes kasi marami maintenance problem na lumalabas sa crosswind ko well baka ito yun so called "Lemon".
    Well, there are the common problems, like the radiator (haven't had this), power steering hoses (Dad had this on one... no problem on the other two), the stupid exhaust (fix it with a flexi-pipe... the stock exhaust sucks) and the squeaking and rattling once the vehicle gets old.

Of course, these are easy to fix, and the engine never breaks.

2001 Hilander