New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    i would like to ask if there's anyone here who has tried to convert a new model Starex CRDI VGT from Manual to Automatic Transmission. Im planning to buy a 2nd hand 2010 Starex but its Manual. How much will it cost and will it negatively affect the performance of the van?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's possible but not really worth it considering there are so many A/T variants around. Lots of things that could go wrong if not done properly.

Even the manufacturer wouldn't recommend such a modification.

I've tried those older Mercedes Benz M/T to A/T conversions and they suck. You couldn't even get a kick down when passing (of course, the shop that converted it never bothered to put in a kick down switch, basta umaandar ok na sa kanila).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I doubt it. Cause if someone wants to have their starex in A/T, they'd get the variants which offers the said tranny and not go through the hassle of swapping parts that may cause breakage and obviously voiding the warranty.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the input. I thought it would be an easy modification, but you're right in saying that lots of things can go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    It's possible but not really worth it considering there are so many A/T variants around. Lots of things that could go wrong if not done properly.

Even the manufacturer wouldn't recommend such a modification.

I've tried those older Mercedes Benz M/T to A/T conversions and they suck. You couldn't even get a kick down when passing (of course, the shop that converted it never bothered to put in a kick down switch, basta umaandar ok na sa kanila).

5. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    I was thinking of buying a 2nd hand Starex for less than P200T down. An attractive offer but the conversion is really bugging me. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    I doubt it. Cause if someone wants to have their starex in A/T, they'd get the variants which offers the said tranny and not go through the hassle of swapping parts that may cause breakage and obviously voiding the warranty.

2010 Starex CRDI VGT M/T convert to A/t