New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Hi all!

I'm being offered by a dealer with a 2007 Starex GRX CRDi, diesel, na galing Korea, surplus. Price is P500K, fully loaded.

First time ko bibili ng sasakyan. Di ko talaga alam anong dapat tingnan sa sasakyan par naman maseguro ko na I'll be getting my money's worth. Of course, I can have a mechanic take a good look at the vehicle.

Pero aside from that, gusto ko talagang magkaroon ng sufficient back up info kung ano anong mga detalye ang dapat kong isa-isip when ckecking on the vehicle.

Any advice, please? Anong dapat kung tingnan or patingnan sa mekaniko dun sa bibilhin kong Starex GRX? Is the price okay?

How about yung fuel consumption nya? Performance, reliability, availability of parts, etc.?

Your feedback will be much much appreciated.

TIA!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    What are the specs? Manual? Matic? How many kilometers?

With ex-Korean units, you don't have the same LHD-RHD conversion issues as with Japanese units, so you'll only have to check for the regular problems.

The most expensive issues you can experience with a secondhand van like that is an automatic transmission failure and injector failures. That's why it's important to know the actual mileage, as well as getting a test-drive and a mechanic to check out the condition.

One other possible issue is the AC... this can alsob e costly to fix, but not as costly as the other two.

Seems like a good price... a very good price. As long as it really is a 2007 Korean unit and not a 2002 Korean unit imported in 2007. Some dealers actually pull that trick on buyers, so be wary.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    you also better double check if it is indeed a GRX CRDI.. because 500k is very cheap for a CRDI unit that is 07 model.. just beware that there are 99models and 01 models that have been converted to look like a GRX variant.. so just be extra attentive.. search the threads there is a topic about such conversions..

4. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Thanks, niky and cocoy, for your very revealing feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    ... That's why it's important to know the actual mileage, as well as getting a test-drive and a mechanic to check out the condition.
    Ano po kayang dapat na mileage that I should go for?

... One other possible issue is the AC... this can also be costly to fix, but not as costly as the other two.
    What are the usual defects that I used look out for?

... As long as it really is a 2007 Korean unit and not a 2002 Korean unit imported in 2007...
    Paano ko po ito malalaman? Ano po tips na maibibigay nyo para ma-determine ko talaga that what I'm checking is the real thing?

Quote Originally Posted by cocoy View Post
    ... you also better double check if it is indeed a GRX CRDI..
    How will I do this? I mean, saan ko 'to makikita if it's really a GRX CRDi?

... just beware that there are 99models and 01 models that have been converted to look like a GRX variant..
    Pwede nyo po ba akong mabigyan ng telltale signs if it's only a look-alike and not the real deal? Ano-ano po dapat kong tingnan?

Very sorry for asking apparently noob or innocent questions. Gusto ko lang talagang makaseguro. Ipapa-financing ko po yung sasakyan at ayoko pong magiging mabigat sa aking kalooban ang buwanang pagbabayad for the vehicle if it becomes a real pain in the ass later on.

Thanks heaps once more for your thoughts! I really appreciate it.

Please keep them coming...

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    what i meant is a 99 model can be made to look like a 07 GRX variant by changing the side panels that are over the front wheels, the bumper is also replaced,the headlights and front grills are also replaced,, and lastly the hood is also replaced.. this would make it look like a GRX variant.

what you can do to be sure that what you are getting has a CRDI engine is to take a good look at the engine.. open the hood and on your left, facing the van, you should be able to see the alternator.. because CRDI hyundai engines have their alternators located on the top left of the engine.. if infact you are facing the engine and if it is CRDI, otherwise if its not a CRDI engine the alternator is located lower under the power steering pump..

another thing to take notice of,,, is how many drive belts or fan belts you can see.. a CRDI engine has only one fan belt system, that is conected to the alternator, the air compressor and the water pump and fan assembly..

a non CRDi engine has four drive belts.. two for the alternator and main cooling fan, one for the aircon and one for the power steering pump.

others would probably tell you to check the V.I.N numbers.. which is a good thing.. but if a seller is out to fool you in the first place.. then i would think tampering with the VIN numbers would not be hard to do..

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    what i meant is a 99 model can be made to look like a 07 GRX variant by changing the side panels that are over the front wheels, the bumper is also replaced,the headlights and front grills are also replaced,, and lastly the hood is also replaced.. this would make it look like a GRX variant.

what you can do to be sure that what you are getting has a CRDI engine is to take a good look at the engine.. open the hood and on your left, facing the van, you should be able to see the alternator.. because CRDI hyundai engines have their alternators located on the top left of the engine.. if infact you are facing the engine and if it is CRDI, otherwise if its not a CRDI engine the alternator is located lower under the power steering pump..

another thing to take notice of,,, is how many drive belts or fan belts you can see.. a CRDI engine has only one fan belt system, that is conected to the alternator, the air compressor and the water pump and fan assembly..

a non CRDi engine has four drive belts.. two for the alternator and main cooling fan, one for the aircon and one for the power steering pump.

others would probably tell you to check the V.I.N numbers.. which is a good thing.. but if a seller is out to fool you in the first place.. then i would think tampering with the VIN numbers would not be hard to do..

Wow! For a complete newbie like me, these information are gold! :2thumbsup:

Now, I have some precious tips I can make use of when checking the vehicle.

Thank you very much, Cocoy! :thankyou:

Anyone would like to share their thoughts on this too?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    As for the CRDi, the lower the mileage, the better... but you'll really have to test to see if there are any problems with the system. Better if you have a GRX owner with you as well as the mechanic... as there is a noticeable drop in performance if the injectors are going bad or there's bad fuel in the tank.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    You may check this web site http://hyundaiautoclubph.proboards.com/index.cgi?
    All the Starex gurus are here.
    You are welcome to join the club

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

^^^ Agree,- you better bring with you an expert.... It could be that it is indeed a 2007 GRX CRDi (and not a surplus from Korea), but at that price, it may mean that it was flooded here..... So, be wary of this....

8900:painting:

10. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Thanks a lot, guys, for all the feedback! You've been most helpful, indeed.

Ilang follow up questions lang po:

• How can I tell if a Starex GRX CRDi is a surplus unit from Korea or not?
    • How will I know if anything in it (side panels, bumper, headlights, grills, hood, etc.) are all replacements?
    • What's a good mileage range to look for?

I know these things are easy to watch out for if you're an expert. But for me, I certainly won't be able to tell one from the other.

I hope you can tell me what telltale signs to check, except, of course dun sa mileage because that can easily be seen. I just really need some help before I part with some hard-earned money and commit to undertake monthly payments in the future.

Thanks again, pepz!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2007 Starex GRX CRDi - worth having?