http://www.carpages.co.uk/hyundai/hy...e-11-03-10.asp

The eco-friendly variants incorporate improvements in emissions without compromising performance, reliability or driver satisfaction, making Blue Drive models a realistic solution for modern motorists.

All employ the latest energy-efficient powertrain technology. The new, downsized 1.0-litre Kappa petrol and 1.7-litre U2 diesel engines, for example, are coupled with high-performance, low-friction engine oil, to considerably reduce driveline friction. Dual continuously variable valve timing, improved combustion efficiency, gear ratio optimisation, and engine control optimisation to increase engine efficiency.

A noticeable change from the driver's perspective is the application of a Hyundai-specific Idle Stop & Go (ISG) system. This cuts the engine when the car is stationary and restarts it when the clutch pedal is depressed.

With ISG, an alternator management system is added to maximise energy regeneration during braking and disconnecting the alternator when it's not needed.

It's not just the engines which are more efficient. To minimise drag, the Hyundai Blue Drive models have improved aerodynamics and lower rolling resistance.

Under body panels have been installed on all Hyundai models to smooth airflow under the car and certain models also feature reductions in brake-pad drag on the discs. Wheels are also fitted with low rolling resistance tyres, inflated to a higher pressure.

Through such innovations, engineers have succeeded in lowering the CO2 emission levels of the Hyundai i10, Hyundai i20, and Hyundai i30 blue models to the sub-100g/km range.

The Hyundai i10 blue, which goes into production at the end of 2010, employs a new and extremely efficient 1.0-litre version of the Kappa petrol engine, which produces 69PS at a lower rpm level of 6.200 rpm while generating 94 Nm of torque. By tweaking the aerodynamics and refinements to the powertrain, CO2 emissions in the i10 blue have been reduced to just 99g/km.
Sigh, if only they would...