New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Hello

Sa mga owners po ng model na eto, need your advice. Planning on buying this generation of Elantra. Ano po ba common issues nito? Do you recommend buying this at all? Reliable po b ang engine, transmission at AC nito?

Tanong ko na rin, ano po ba model variants ng 5th Gen ang lumabas dito sa Pinas noon, from the lower variant to the higher top of the line variant?

Salamat

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gh0str1d3r View Post
    Hello

Sa mga owners po ng model na eto, need your advice. Planning on buying this generation of Elantra. Ano po ba common issues nito? Do you recommend buying this at all? Reliable po b ang engine, transmission at AC nito?

Tanong ko na rin, ano po ba model variants ng 5th Gen ang lumabas dito sa Pinas noon, from the lower variant to the higher top of the line variant?

Salamat

do you have a budget?

personally,
    buying used car,
    i'd stick to the popular ones.
    toyota comes to mind. even older models.
    they are probably easier to fix and maintain.

my last kia was in 2000.
    since then, i have toyota'd.
    Last edited by dr. d; August 12th, 2021 at 10:19 PM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I own a 2.0 6at 2014 elantra. Engine and transmission are mechanically good. Ignition coils are still original even after 490,000km. Engine oil and transmission oils don't exhibit too much metal debris. My ac is good. Eps is good. Wear and tear items shocks bushings tires.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    I own a 2.0 6at 2014 elantra. Engine and transmission are mechanically good. Ignition coils are still original even after 490,000km. Engine oil and transmission oils don't exhibit too much metal debris. My ac is good. Eps is good. Wear and tear items shocks bushings tires.
    For real 2014 and its already 490k on the odometer? Are you joking? How did you manage that high mileage on 7 year old car? So your saying the car is very reliable no issues at all, just keep regular maintenance?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    doubledouble.
    Last edited by dr. d; August 13th, 2021 at 09:06 AM.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    For real 2014 and its already 490k on the odometer? Are you joking? How did you manage that high mileage on 7 year old car? So your saying the car is very reliable no issues at all, just keep regular maintenance?
    errrr...,
    ask him where he is, where his car is, where he drives the car (i.e., why the huge mileage), and where he has it serviced.
    Last edited by dr. d; August 13th, 2021 at 09:07 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    I have a 2011 1.6 m/t with about 75000 in odo and here are my inputs.

The available models back then if I am not mistaken are the 1.6 mt, 1.6 at and 1.8 at.

Here are my experiences with my unit (casa maintained during the warranty period of 5 years):

Under warranty repairs:
    1. The infamous steering 'tok' sound. Steering coupler was replaced under warranty. I believe there is a discussion here in this forum. The problem never returned after this replacement. (2014 or 2015 ish?)
    2. Reverse switch. One day when switching to reverse, the reverse lights would never light up. Reverse switch was replaced. (2013)
    3. Casa told me that they will replace the AC compressor due to a grumbling sound or something. I never noticed it personally, and aircon was still cold to me. But hey, if they are going to replace my compressor with a new one it for free then I said go ahead. I have no problems whatsoever with my AC right now. (2014 ish?)

Out of warranty repairs / current issue:
    1. Reverse switch failed again. I had the banawe boys replace it this time. (2018)
    2. Brake switch failed. Brake light would always light up even though I am not pressing on the brakes. I also had the banawe boys replace the brake switch. (2019)
    3. suspension is sometimes squeaky when going over humps. I will probably need to have the suspensions / bushings looked at especially with our horrible roads here in the country especially since I live in humps land.

Overall, I may have more that my fair share of minor repairs but I would say the engine is great and reliable. It does not perceivably consume oil and according to my butt dyno, still makes the same power as it was when new. I change oil at least once a year regardless of mileage. This car is still my daily driver. Fuel economy is as expected, 10 km/l in the city (light - med traffic), went as high as 16-18 km/l on trips to the far far north or far south).

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by labayds View Post
    I have a 2011 1.6 m/t with about 75000 in odo and here are my inputs.

The available models back then if I am not mistaken are the 1.6 mt, 1.6 at and 1.8 at.

Here are my experiences with my unit (casa maintained during the warranty period of 5 years):

Under warranty repairs:
    1. The infamous steering 'tok' sound. Steering coupler was replaced under warranty. I believe there is a discussion here in this forum. The problem never returned after this replacement. (2014 or 2015 ish?)
    2. Reverse switch. One day when switching to reverse, the reverse lights would never light up. Reverse switch was replaced. (2013)
    3. Casa told me that they will replace the AC compressor due to a grumbling sound or something. I never noticed it personally, and aircon was still cold to me. But hey, if they are going to replace my compressor with a new one it for free then I said go ahead. I have no problems whatsoever with my AC right now. (2014 ish?)

Out of warranty repairs / current issue:
    1. Reverse switch failed again. I had the banawe boys replace it this time. (2018)
    2. Brake switch failed. Brake light would always light up even though I am not pressing on the brakes. I also had the banawe boys replace the brake switch. (2019)
    3. suspension is sometimes squeaky when going over humps. I will probably need to have the suspensions / bushings looked at especially with our horrible roads here in the country especially since I live in humps land.

Overall, I may have more that my fair share of minor repairs but I would say the engine is great and reliable. It does not perceivably consume oil and according to my butt dyno, still makes the same power as it was when new. I change oil at least once a year regardless of mileage. This car is still my daily driver. Fuel economy is as expected, 10 km/l in the city (light - med traffic), went as high as 16-18 km/l on trips to the far far north or far south).
    overall, pretty good.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    I had a 2015 1.8 AT base model. Sold it this year with 90k plus on the odometer. Its a reliable car, nice interior space and good engine. Only problems encountered are the AC (gas leak, twice) which was solved on the second instance by tracing where the leak came from; and the squeaking front suspension sa humps (replaced suspension). Other than Walang ibang naging sakit ng ulo, just the regular maintenance check. By they way, I owned the car in the UAE, mostly driven on the highway with 140km speed limit. Different condition sa Pinas but with the high temp in the desert it is pretty good.

Sent from my CPH2109 using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Im not in the philippines. its reliable. i intend to use it until the engine dies.

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    errrr...,
    ask him where he is, where his car is, where he drives the car (i.e., why the huge mileage), and where he has it serviced.
    alam mo naman doc, i can't reveal my location because of the "meds"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast