New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    hello sir
    I own a 92 hatch civic eg 1.2 carb...
    when the engine is cold and I start it (one click lng start agad) my RPM reading is 2,000RPM which I think is not normal, but after a minute my RPM goes down, cguro around 800rpm...

My only problem is when you start the engine when its cold, gasoline is expensive so everytime I start cold its wasting Gasoline...

by the way my hatch can get 9.5KM per liter of gasoline cguro I could reach 10 or 12KM if it doesnt idle at that rate....

so any opinion or solution on how to fix it?
    thanks

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    This is perfectly normal if after the vehicle warms up it then returns to its' normal idle.This is done to warm up the engine in cold weather.The coolant sensor measures the coolants temp and at a certain temp.It tells the ECM Electronic Control Module to make the air/fuel mixture and timing to run at normal idle.The old carburated types had something similar.You had to first step on the accelerator pedal all the way which then set the high idle cam and choke for cold starts.Once the engine warmed up some.You would 'kick it down' by stepping on the accelerator pedal about halfway and then off quickly.The high idle cam would reposition itself and the engine would run at idle as the choke opened by way of a thermostat.

You may spray the carburetor, throttle linkage,choke plates with carburator cleaner generously to loosen those carbon buildup on around throttle body. It will hurt nothing.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    thanks for the reply sir...

some people kasi nga naka usap ko sabi daw medyo mataas yung cold start idle ko at 2,000rpm
    I can do 4th gear without touching the accelerator

anyway I will visit honda tomorrow if they could adjust the idle below 2k rpm and hope it will not affect my idle when its warm...

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    parang medyo mataas nga yung idle...

when mine warms up, its about 1200-1500 rpm. pacheck baka nga may mali lang setting or something.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    with the ph12 carb engine eg hatch anong module ba responsible sa pag rev nung engine when its cold? baka may tama na yung module...hope someone here experience this before and could give a solution.

Hope Honda can still remember their carb engine hehehe

6. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    mechanic just adjust something (screw) in the carb, below the airfilter.
    pero dapat cold yung engine. ngayon ok na idling nya when cold start mwehehehe maka tipid na rin ako nung gas
    ano kaya inadjust nya?

balik ulit ako sa kanya kasi gusto ko rin adjust idling when the engine is hot and aircon on

meron ba naka LPG na 1.2carb dito sa forum? sorry OT

7. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Hello guys buhayin ko lang tong thread na to. I have the same engine (ph12) and problem. But the thing is naadjust ko na idle pero mataas pa din ang idle ko, even mainit na ang makina. Dinada ko na din sa mekaniko they did the same thing and still mataas pa din. I was wondering if the culprit is ethanol (e10 gasoline)? hehehe...since hindi sya maganda sa carb engine. Or maybe because the carb is old and it needs a bit of tune up... I'm not so sure.

Please advice naman as to what I should do so that mejo makatipid naman ako sa gas since super lakas kumain ng gas ng PH12 ko ngayon. Should I DIY it using a carb cleaner as adviced by V6DREAMER before? Thanks

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I don't think the E10 fuel should be a culprit for your high-idling issue. Try to play with your idle control settings on your (cold) carburetor first and see what happens.

Additional questions:
    Does your engine idle speed go up only when you turn on the A/C? Or is it really that high when everything else is turned off?

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    in the first place, why would you put E10 blended gasoline on a ph12 engine? based sa honda na mismo, carb engines are not compatible sa e10 gasolines.

need help high RPM