New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Honda Cars Philippines Inc. is set to strengthen its market share with a new addition to its model line-up.

According to Honda Philippines’ current president and general manager Takashi Sekiguchi, Honda intends to focus on rebuilding and strengthening its existing car models, specifically the Civic and CRV.

Likewise, Honda will also develop the still unappreciated five-door hatchback model.

Sekiguchi noted that the Philippine market equates value with size and thus tends to favor the much larger American vehicles which, however, are not fuel efficient.

It is because of the Filipino’s preference for big vehicles that Honda’s first hatchback model, the Jazz, failed to sell as well as projected, Sekiguchi admitted.

However, Honda is not giving up and has in fact added further refinements to the Jazz with the introduction of a more powerful variant, the 1.5-liter VTEC.

This new addition answers the market’s clamor for stronger engine performance from the Jazz. Fine-tuning on a sportier look, the 1.5-liter Jazz dons 15" alloy wheels, a high mount stop lamp and rear center-mounted sports roof antenna. Moreover, the 1.5-liter Jazz is distinguished by a sleeker and sportier color keyed side protector mouldings and wrap-around skirts.

The 2005 Jazz comes in two engine blocks. At the heart of the Jazz 1.3-liter is the i-DSI (Intelligent Dual and Sequential Ignition), an installation of Honda’s cutting edge i-series engines. The compact and lightweight i-DSI engine provides maximum torque at 2,800 rpm for city driving that other sedans in its class could not equal. With the employment of the ingenious dual spark plug system (2 spark plugs and 2 valves per cylinder) with individually controlled ignition timing, the i-DSI engine offers more rapid and complete combustion, achieving best fuel-efficiency in its class.

Industry statistics show that the Honda Jazz actually leads in the five-door hatchback market with a controlling market share of 43 percent.

Its closest competitor, the Hyundai Getz has a 29 percent market share while the Kia Picanto has a 21 percent market share.

BMW’s One series accounts for a mere four percent market share, while Chevrolet’s Aveo accounts for a mere three percent.

Honda is hoping to sell at least 200 units a month of its latest Jazz variant.

The Jazz is imported from Thailand.

Sekiguchi admitted that Honda currently has no immediate plans to manufacture any new model in the country and would thus just focus on strengthening its local production of the Civic and CRV.

By Marianne V. Go
    The Philippine Star 07/26/2005
    http://philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200507260705.htm

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Sekiguchi noted that the Philippine market equates value with size and thus tends to favor the much larger American vehicles which, however, are not fuel efficient.

It is because of the Filipino’s preference for big vehicles that Honda’s first hatchback model, the Jazz, failed to sell as well as projected, Sekiguchi admitted.
    More than the preference for American brands, the Filipino's close affiliation with family and friends is also a factor. It's a cultural thing, IMO. Mga Pinoy talaga, mahilig dalhin ang buong pamilya at buong barangay kahit saan, so a typical household vehicle has to meet this basic requirement. And then, there also has to be ample space left in the vehicle for other things, such as pasalubong when you're coming from a long road trip.

Like me, for example. I've long decided that if I were to get a family vehicle, a sedan would never do, both in terms of space and capability. Eh di lalo pa yung subcompact car.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    LOL. Chevrolet Aveo at three percent!?! Seems the philippine consumer is wise. :D

What they fail to mention is that the Honda City has no trouble whatsoever selling. :D

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    number 1 factor why the jazz is not selling is PRICE imho. it's priced waaay beyond the other "mini" cars out in the market.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    the jazz 1.5v A/T is priced at 765,000. a honda civic vti A/T is priced at 775.000. a corolla altis 1.6e A/T is priced at 770,000. a lancer gls 6-speed CVT is priced at 758,000. a mazda3 1.6s 5-door is priced at 765,000. see the comparison in prices? the jazz is priced at par with the compact sedans out in the market. for a sub-compact car, i think the people will think twice before buying this.
    paging hcpi...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    true. unfortunately, that (too expensive) also applies to the new suzuki swift, which is incidentally, a Jazz competitor.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    hmmm..baka kampanti lang ang HCPI dahil nandyan naman ang city variants propping up market shares its sister's jazz cant maintain due to heftier pricing scales..
    ..if there is enough logic why the jazz is out there in the market it's because moneyed people would rather grab a hatched model coupled with the brand name irregardless of how expensive the thing costs, imo..

Honda Cars Philippines to strengthen market share with Jazz hatchback