New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Hi Guys,

This is my second time posting a thread in this forum. I'd just like to get your opinion on this.

I have a 1994 Honda Accord (f20 engine). I'm planning on using a fully synthetic engine oil. Is it advisable?

Which brand should I use? I'm actually torn between two brands. Motul or Castrol? My friends says that he uses Motul on his Mitsubishi GSR (Semi-synthetic) and my other friend uses Castrol Magnatec (Semi-synthetic) on his 1995 Honda ESI.

They have different opinions for these engine oils so I'd rather have an expert's advice from here.

My mechanic's opinions is that he'd rather use an ordinary oil compared to any of these.

The reason being, super synthetic oils is too thin and only used for newly overhauled engines. While the fully synthethic engine oils are used for latest model cars.

I would like to get an expert's opinion on this since I am planning to have an oil change this coming December.

Thank you. I would appreciate your reply.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I use motul H -TECH 100 SAE 10W-40 . Like this engine oil even more expensive my engine performance is better ,fuel efficient and no engine leak . Use this oil almost 4 years .

3. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    use HONDA ENGINE OIL or HONDA LEV. you can choose from different variant from mineral base to semi synthetic to fully synthetic engine oil. honda engine oils are specifically made for honda vehicles so i'd really go with this.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    money no object ba yan? if so, fully syn is the way to go.

if on a budget, yung 10w-40 ng casa (honda lev), at 750 per gallon, is quite reasonable. parang lumalabas pa na mas mura sa castrol GTX na 20w-50 (which is really thick).

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post

if on a budget, yung 10w-40 ng casa (honda lev), at 750 per gallon, is quite reasonable. parang lumalabas pa na mas mura sa castrol GTX na 20w-50 (which is really thick).
    actually my promo pa po ang honda ngayon. for P850, you get a 10 point? check-up, a change oil (with LEV 10w-40) and oil filter for 1 hour. kapag lumagpas po ng 1 hour,libre na po yun.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post

Money is not a problem. GUsto ko lang sana yung tumagal yung buhay ng engine. Kasi mga naka advertise if you use say castrol or motul super synthethic, you could have your next oil change in about a year or two. Parang sulit kasi kung ganun.

What do you think?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dgm23 View Post
    Money is not a problem. GUsto ko lang sana yung tumagal yung buhay ng engine. Kasi mga naka advertise if you use say castrol or motul super synthethic, you could have your next oil change in about a year or two. Parang sulit kasi kung ganun.

What do you think?
    Buy synth and change every 9 months or less if money is no object. Also have your engine flushed with cheap oil (mineral will do) and do it in intervals of a week (tipong lagyan mo ng mineral oil then run it for a week. change mineral ulit run it for another week, then flushing fluid and change to synth.) In this scenario money is no issue

Huwag mo paabutin ng one year. Check mo oil after six months and after nine months. I had my engine in an older car changed and after six months the Helix oil was in bad shape due to the stop go driving in the city so I had it flushed (cheaply kasi for me money matters.).

When you checked an engine which was flushed well, the oil appears clean even after a week of driving. Tipong parang bago pa rin. If it doesn't, lalo na pag mineral, then it would be a good idea to flush and replace. IMO lang po.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolHack View Post
    Buy synth and change every 9 months or less if money is no object. Also have your engine flushed with cheap oil (mineral will do) and do it in intervals of a week (tipong lagyan mo ng mineral oil then run it for a week. change mineral ulit run it for another week, then flushing fluid and change to synth.) In this scenario money is no issue

Huwag mo paabutin ng one year. Check mo oil after six months and after nine months. I had my engine in an older car changed and after six months the Helix oil was in bad shape due to the stop go driving in the city so I had it flushed (cheaply kasi for me money matters.).

When you checked an engine which was flushed well, the oil appears clean even after a week of driving. Tipong parang bago pa rin. If it doesn't, lalo na pag mineral, then it would be a good idea to flush and replace. IMO lang po.
    [SIZE=3]Why do I need to have my engine flushed with mineral oil? Hindi ba pwedeng straight na flushing fluid? What are the implications in case I do not follow the steps? [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Also, it was mentioned na if your engine oils is too thick, hirap ang engine which means malakas gumamit ng gas. What if too thin? Like the fully synth of Castrol, does this mean mahihirapan ang engine and more prone to overheating. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]As for the Honda Change Oil Package. Is that a good deal? Are their engine oils really good compare to that of Castrol or Motul? Which would you choose?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Sorry daming stupid questions ha. [/SIZE]

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Kung wala naman engine leak makina mo wala naman problema na gumamit ng fully synthethic mas maganda lang ang protection na maibibigay nito kahit matagal mo gamitin langis at may peace of mind ka sa makina mo .

Engine Oil for 1994 Honda Accord