New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    hello po mga sir,

noob questions po...
    my 95 MT honda civic esi's engine needed to be replaced. we were able to find a d16a engine kaso its for AT. what they did is they just fitted it to the old transmission.
    the d16a that they had was using carb since the esi is using efi they wanted to put it on the engine but unfortunately, it does not fit to the head. to address that, what they did is to take the internals of the d16a head and put them to the ph16 head then fitted it to the new block. the car is still in the shop pero here are my questions po.

1. i have been checking on the forums and they say that d16a has vtec is it true? if so, will it still work with my current set up?
    2. since the ecu is for AT, they just use the esi's ecu, its starting but i havent tried to drive it yet. wont it cause more problems?
    3. about the head for the efi to work, was it practical?

i would appreciate all of your comments on this. noob lang po me sa cars. :D
    thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    correction po pala mga sir...
    both of them were efi, the reason why they opted to use the old head and the old efi is because the wiring doesnt match...

so basically its a d16a block with an ph16 head with the internals of the d16a.
    im not sure if it makes sense... noob here...
    will it be costly to just pay for the rewiring?

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    The VTEC system (solenoid, wild/economy camlobe etc) is found in the head.

Please provide more info:
    D16A block + PH16 head + D16A internals (???) + PH16 intake manifold/throttle body/ECU

Is that correct?

Bakit hindi na lang ginamit yung intake ng D16A since EFI naman din pala.

It is true that D16A has VTEC but unfortunately, it won't work based on your description.

VTEC engagement comes from several factors, including sensors and a VTEC ECU (which a PH16 ECU obviously is not).

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    I hope the D16A engine came with an ECU.

To be sure if it's got VTEC, look for the solenoid:

This is located at the top-left side of the engine cylinder head cover.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    hi sir isa1023,

D16A block + PH16 head + D16A internals (???) + PH16 intake manifold/throttle body/ECU, EXACTLY the current setup...
    hindi daw po ginamit yung intake manifold ng d16a since it has different wirings (it wont fit daw sa esi wirings), and that the ECU for the d16a is automatic that is why it was not installed.
    as per them it would be costly to rewire the whole thing...

the d16a came with an ECU, kaso its for automatic.. i have been checking on the internet on how to convert an AT ecu to manual, im not sure if there are shops near that does this..
    is it really costly to rewire? approximately how much po kaya yun?

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hindi lang po ako sure sir kung magkano magpa-rewire.

I just don't like the idea of cut harness so on second thought, ok din yung ni-retain nila yung PH16 ECU.

Usually, for Hondas, OBD1 ang gamit ng manual transmission while OBD2 (non-retunable/rechippable) for automatics.

Baka po makatulong kung mag-register kayo sa:
    CIVIC CLUB PHILIPPINES © 2011

7. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    hi sir, is there any other options? you might consider getting 1 whole engine including ecu that came from a MT car. there are a lot of honda engines around. mahirap kasi kung i combine mo yung parts of two different engines, theres a lot of things that could go wrong and baka in the long run maging sakit sa ulo mo pa yan. check mo si Kanzai motors sa malabon, or you could look at them on facebook. they might have the right engine for you.
    hope this helps

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Okay lang naman po yung ginawa sa engine niya dahil most parts of Honda D series are interchangeable.

The engine will run just fine but without VTEC.

TS, kung willing ka, best you can do is get a P08 OBD1 (for manual tranny) ECU for better fuel mapping, economy-power compromise and VTEC engagement.

It works with D16A.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    yup interchangeable nga sir but having many items to change theres so many things that could go wrong din. so if you will go the trouble why not get a whole engine nalang para less hassle. mura lang na din naman ang mga ph16 egines ngayon lalo na yung mga nag palit ng d15b.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    As of now its running fine po. Il still try to observe it. Im still trying to canvas on how much po rewire.

d16a engine replacement questions