New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Hi Guys, I am planning to purchase a used set of OEM 205/55/R16 (mags/tires) for my FD as a replacement for my OEM 215/45/R17 mags/tires just for the rainy season (sa 2007/8 1.8S ata yun – parang SIR yung style nung mags); I plan to use the latter set during summer season. Andaming lubak lately sa Metro Manila plus the fact that galing ako sa SUV kaya madalas nalulubak ako due to driving habits siguro. Sumasakit puso ko pagnalulubak ko yung oto eh. LOL.

What are the pros and cons in terms of riding comfort, handling/grip, fuel consumption, rolling resistance, among others? Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rfmafia View Post
    What are the pros and cons in terms of riding comfort, handling/grip, fuel consumption, rolling resistance, among others? Thanks in advance.
    Riding comfort - taller tires are more comfortable but results in less precise handling.

Handling grip - wider low profile tires offer better handling and grip but ride is less comfortable. Increased grip also translates to lower fuel economy.

Fuel consumption - the narrower the tires, generally it would have less friction which improves fuel economy.

Rolling resistance - wider tires generally have more rolling resistance. Increasing tire pressure can help decrease rolling resistance somewhat but at the cost of less comfort and less grip.

At the end of it all, it is always a compromise between comfort vs performance when choosing a wheel/tire for your car.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Thanks Sir ghosthunter.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rfmafia View Post
    Hi Guys, I am planning to purchase a used set of OEM 205/55/R16 (mags/tires) for my FD as a replacement for my OEM 215/45/R17 mags/tires just for the rainy season (sa 2007/8 1.8S ata yun – parang SIR yung style nung mags); I plan to use the latter set during summer season. Andaming lubak lately sa Metro Manila plus the fact that galing ako sa SUV kaya madalas nalulubak ako due to driving habits siguro. Sumasakit puso ko pagnalulubak ko yung oto eh. LOL.

You might find that the downgrade isn't enough. The harsh ride of the Civic isn't in the wheels alone, as the 1.8 FD also rides stiffly.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Query on mags/tires downgrade for Civic FD 2.0S