New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Good day Tsikoteers :D

This afternoon I went to a nearby sound/autoworks shop in Ortigas (near MC Home Depot) with the agenda of having one of my speaker's wiring checked because there's no sound coming out of it. My car is an Opel by the way. I ended up being on this shop by chance since it was the first sound setup shop I came across. Its actually more than just a sound setup shop since they do a lot of other car repairs. There was even a Ferrari there getting fixed, a somewhat vintage car (I didn't check it out too much), and BMWs, among other more simpler cars. However, the entire shop wasn't actually some place you would call a "five star" service center. So anyway, I was received quite fast naman and one of the guys got into work right away to check what was wrong. The lower panels on the driver-side door was detached so the seps/speaker and wiring could be checked as well.

After a few minutes of diagnosing, the problem was indeed related to the wires being loose and damaged. So the guy started to fix the wire connections and replaced a short piece of wire. The work was fine enough and the wiring connections got fixed, although the job was finished past their working hours (around 6) since I came quite late narin already.

So after the work I asked the guy how much is it for the labor, and the guy referred me to who I assume is the manager. This person asked the his worker the scope of the work he did and then told me he's charging P750 for the job! I mean, I'm no stranger to shops and almighty casas for charging questionable labor fees, but it certainly crossed my mind that this guy is charging me based on my car's brand and my deceivingly young and innocent physical features (although I'm 21 already )

So instead of me being satisfied with the work done, I ended up being pissed and rather dismayed. I thought to myself I'd only pay a maximum of P300 for the rather simple work that was done. I told the guy that was too much, and after some negotiating he brought it down to P500, then to P450 (which he was claiming to be their minimum charge). I even said how could I be motivated to go back there for future works if he'd charge me unfairly.

I argued that he's still charging too much for rather simple work and that I'm sure other shops nearby would definitely won't charge that much, he argued about removal of the door's panels and the wiring work to be "technical", and the fact that their shop's location is in "Ortigas". I'm sure there's nothing too technical about removing the screws that hold the panels, and the minor electrical/wiring work I assume isn't too much for a person who knows how to work with electricals.

So finally after a few more minutes the "manager" agreed with P300 just so we can all go on with our lives. I payed the P300 however wasn't able to get the receipt anymore since the cashier left already. I no didn't mind it anymore since the wiring was fixed anyway, and I'm sure the guy who did the work would still recognize me if ever I'd return. Now it seems like I'll be returning tomorrow anyway since I recently found out the door handle wasn't reinstalled properly.

So anyway, what's the point of all this? I'm just really upset about the fact that I was being charged based on the logo on my emblems, and how "innocent" looking I am, regardless of the fact that what was done with the car wasn't too much at all in the first place, and I'm sure if its someone else with just a different brand or older model would get a more fair price. Its quite horrific how people think you're stupid just for them to earn a quick buck. Even Rey Electrical would charge you quite fairly with the scope of work almost regardless what brand your car is.

I know P750 isn't really too much especially for other people and I shouldn't really be making a big fuzz about it. But of course, P750 and P300 is a P450 difference, which is still, quite a lot for me. I guess I just want to point out that people like this "manager" should be more considerate, fair, and accurate with how they charge their customers. In fairness to them, I never asked how much the labor would cost me while the work was being done, but for me it was safe to assume a rather low price for the labor, again knowing that the scope wasn't too much at all. Maybe the fact that I brought it to a place where a Ferrari is being fixed, should have made me think twice about their pricing. I'm sorry for posting a long 8 paragraph post for just a very simple issue, I just felt that I should share this to you guys. So as a reminder, stay away from dealing with people like this!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    P750 lakas rumaket

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    mahal sila maningil ha...

i always make a point to ask for an estimate before they do anything on my ride.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Yup, malakas nga tumaga. Imagine from P750 to P300.

Kaya lang, sana bago nila ginawa, nagtanong ka muna sa pricing to give you an idea. That's normally my style. Pag sinabing, "hindi ko pa alam kasi dapat ma-diagnose ko muna problema..." I normally say na "kasi P200 (or kung magkano man ang tingin kong fair labor charge) lang pera ko, pag lagpas ng P200 yan, pagawa ko na lang sa iba..."

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    wag kanalang babalik don.

ang mahal don yong trouble shooting though me kamahalan talaga yong singil sayo.dito trouble shooting palang $75 na what more kung ginawa pa.importante naalis sakit ng ulo mo don sa speakers mo.

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Dapat pinakita mo muna then tinanong mo kung magkano ang labor + parts (kung meron)

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by knight21 View Post
    i always make a point to ask for an estimate before they do anything on my ride.
    This should be standard practice. Tanong muna. Usually free naman ang estimate.

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    Talaga nga naman ang mga tindahan na yan... You are being charged according to the car you drive! Bad yan ha! At saka after working hours na.. Feeling ko racket na lang yan nung manager at yung gumawa... sorry to hear about that sir! Tell us na lang what heppend pag bumalik kayo... Ingat po!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    ganyan tlaga pinagbasehan nga ata arrive mo hehe
    marami naman dumadaan sa ganyan lalo na kng yuo look younger than your age.

Buti nga hindi libo ang siningil at magaling ka mangatwiran ksi kng ako bzta bigay nlng eh para wla ng usapan

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Di na ko bumabalik sa mga ganyang shops at hindi ko rin ni-r-recommend sa mga kaibigan ko.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
P750 Labor Charge for Minor Electrical/Wiring Repair?