New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    First of all I'd like to apologize to the motorists we inconvenienced last night The accident happened on the northbound lane of EDSA right before Kalayaan and the Rockwell flyover at around 8:30.

We were on our way home to San Juan from Makati. Since it was raining hard we left Makati after a snack (gutom si buntis). I positioned the car in the middle to avoid the left turners to Rockwell and the right turners to Kalayaan. While merging I spotted an open space in my front left quarter so I took it. Suddenly I spotted the Delica on my left accelerate to take the space I was going to. I stopped but he kept going and inevitably we hit. We ended up with him slightly ahead of me with my left front wheel right beside his right front door handle. My side mirror was squashed flat against the A-pillar.

I shut down the engine (mahal na kasi gas) and immediately called 117 to report the accident. The lady who took the call was polite enough and promised to send help. The Delica's big burly driver got out to survey the scene. He wanted me to get out too. This was nearly impossible because in the first place his van was stuck on my driver side and the passenger seat was full of baby bottles, bags and the occassional milk can. Besides I don't want to open my doors and risk my family.

So there we were waiting for the authorities to arrive. The other driver called for backup and eventually a HiAce arrived carrying 4 more burly men. They didn't do anything bad though and just milled around our vehicles. Maybe they were wondering why I wasn't getting out and making arrangements for payment or something. All the while irritated motorists were passing us by left and right. My son enjoyed himself counting all the cars and trucks that passed by. We even had time to change his diaper since he made poopoo.

After around 45 minutes a policeman and an MMDA enforcer arrived from the MMDA's HQ at Orense. They took pics, sketched the final position of the vehicles, and asked for our licenses. They separated our cars and directed us to Orense to fill up an accident report. I was scared to get off the car and face the damage to my ride. The damage wasn't that bad though. The side mirror didn't fall off; there were scrapes on my left rear door and left front fender; and the driver's door was scraped and slightly dented. The Delica had some scrapes on his bullbar and steel stepboard. He also had some scrapes which I suspected could be easily removed with some rubbing compound and elbow grease.

So we filled out our accident reports. The investigator asked for 200 petot for the pictures and some loose change for photocopying our OR/CRs and licenses. The other driver was insisting we settle it then and there and avoid the hassle of waiting for the the final report. I asked if he could give me 5K since I estimated that would be around half of what I'll be spending to repair 3 panels and replace my side mirror. He balked. So I said let's just wait for the police report. I was thinking that even if the investigation was in his favor his damage wasn't that big. We're supposed to meet at the Orense office thursday morning to get the report.

After all the paperwork and final photo ops were done we were finally able to go home. I gingerly tried folding the side mirror back to its normal position and thankfully it popped right back. We got home around 11:00PM. My son was already snoring in the back seat so we put him to bed. My wife and I went back to the garage to look at the damage more closely. The door was beyond my DIY skills but the scrapes on the rear door and the fender looked doable. We got out my trusty MF washcloth (pink) and my good ole' bottle of Turtle carnauba wax. After almost an hour of rubbing the fender and door looked like nothing happened. Satisfied we had a very late dinner and went to bed.

My car is now at The Wet Look for a two-day door repair job. I'll be able to get it by tomorrow afternoon.

That was the first time I ever got into an accident and I hope it's the last time. Thankfully only a few items were damaged: my door and my pride.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    good thing hindi kupal yung other party and your buntis-wife and kid are okay.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it's good that no one got hurt and the "burly" men didn't lift a finger.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
    it's good that no one got hurt and the "burly" men didn't lift a finger.
    yeah, that's true. just watch out for the police report, and make it sure it doesn't put you in such a bad light before you sign up on it. the "burly" driver might have "other ideas" if the police report is totally in his favor.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I'm glad that you and your family are okay.

I just hope that this doesn't turn into a flame thread targeting Subic-converted vehicles, vans and big burly men.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    glad to hear youre ok and there was little damage dude

hope the police report comes out in your favor.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Based on the final sketch his right side and my left side were on the lane marker. They also drew a line which I guess depicted the direction our vehicles were taking when the event happened. His line was going straight. Mine was turning right away from him. So I signed it.

I don't think this will turn into flamebait. I'm not that slim myself ;)
    Last edited by JohnM; October 3rd, 2006 at 02:54 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SeminaristaKuno View Post
    Based on the final sketch his right side and my left side were on the lane marker. They also drew a line which I guess depicted the direction our vehicles were taking when the event happened. His line was going straight. Mine was turning right away from him. So I signed it.
    Ok na nga yan. At least paiwas ka na.

9. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolodeon View Post
    I just hope that this doesn't turn into a flame thread targeting Subic-converted vehicles, vans and big burly men.
    hehe. wag naman.
    Good thing nothing happened to your family, especially buntis.
    Extra careful talaga tayo lalo pag umuulan.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Pogi ba yung 'burly men'? Joke lang po. At least ok kayo and good thing you brought your car to a quality paintshop.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Fender bender on EDSA Oct 2, 2006