New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Im just curious. What do car makers/dealers do to test vehicles, in which some are pushed to their limits?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    after a few months they sell them at a discounted rate they 1st offer these to their employees then to a select clients. (kakilala)

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Manufacturers can do any of the following... rolling road tests (long dyno runs) and engine dyno runs, high mileage tests (up to 1000km a day), averse condition testing (to spot maintenance and wear issues), simulated and actual crash testing, racetrack time (obviously... even for non-sports cars), wet weather and snowy weather handling testing... materials allergy and subjective "feel" testing (for interiors)... ad nauseum...

They also do subjective road testing using professional drivers and employees. The handling, ride and comfort tests need to be done on the proper roads. Legend has it that British sportscars have the best handling/ride combination because they have the worst roads (don't believe it? try driving a Jaguar in anger... or better yet, a Lotus)... German manufacturers also recognize this... rumor has it that Porsche has paid off the local government in their area not to fix the road leading to their headquarters... as its bumps and cambers are a perfect test for the 911. BMW uses the notoriously bumpy Nurburgring for testing, as do many manufacturers from around the world, now that they've caught on.

In other words, car manufacturers should test their cars here in the Philippines... conditions (sobrang heat, sobrang traffic, sobrang lubak, sobrang bilis at magulo) are just perfect.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    ... The handling, ride and comfort tests need to be done on the proper roads. Legend has it that British sportscars have the best handling/ride combination because they have the worst roads ...
    Kung ganun, bakit matagtag pa rin ang ride quality ng mga Sarao jeepney Joke lang po bago mag mahal na araw.

Serious question: If someone buys a vehicle that has been used as a dealership test drive unit, does the casa still offer the normal warranty for it, given that it has been thoroughly used and abused even before being sold?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by johnart
    after a few months they sell them at a discounted rate they 1st offer these to their employees then to a select clients. (kakilala)
    i see. so, in this case, its nice to have a car dealer for a friend. one can have a discounted price for a "brand new" vehicle. Are we looking here big discounts?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Somebody i know who owns a BMW dealership sold a 6 months test driven 3 series for Php200,000 less than the sticker price.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    demo cars ata ang tawag nila dito nyan. binebenta pa rin nila but at a discounted price. pero parang naiilang ako bumili nyan, kasi like you said, most likely, abusado yan, no proper break-in process, kinda like buying a car from a car rental place.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by seonadancing
    Somebody i know who owns a BMW dealership sold a 6 months test driven 3 series for Php200,000 less than the sticker price.
    As I was reading the post, I thought it was only sold for 200K. But only 200K less? That's a very tiny price cut considering the age, mileage and what the car has been through. There should be a much larger discount, let alone the 10% value gone once a new car is taken out of the dealership.

For Philippine context, I don't think the manufacturers are doing enough testing. Look at the first batches of D4-Ds. Worse, there are those falling fuel tanks from the now defunct ES Civics (I don't even want to call those cars Civics ). There was also the E36 3-Series, whose long wheelbase and low ride height tend to scrape big humps. Some other cars also overheat in less than 3 years, possibly because they're not tuned to suit our hot climate.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    car manufacturers should bring their cars here for testing, too may humps, potholes, dust, heat, traffic.. name it, we have it!!!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sabi ng friend ko who used to work at volvo, they still sell the test units, sabi nga niya kung me maalok akong bibili ng volvl papagamit niya sa akin yun xc90 for a week, there atill get the warranty, if me gasgas or me sira konti aayusin naman before selling, yun nga repaired na siya kung tutuusin but its still brand new first owner ka pa din (based on papers)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
What they do to test vehicles....