New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    LTFRB to phase out 15-year-old jeepneys, buses
    By Rainier Allan Ronda
    The Philippine Star 06/18/2004

The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) will soon start to implement a long overdue program designed to rid major thoroughfares in Metro Manila and the rest of the country of rickety old passenger buses and jeepneys.

LTFRB chairwoman Ma. Elena Bautista said the government will be seriously implementing an order issued by the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) in 2002 that bases the age of a vehicle on its date of manufacture, not its registration as a public utility vehicle with the LTFRB and the Land Transportation Office.

Jeepneys and buses found to be aged 15 years and older can no longer have their franchises renewed by the LTFRB when their campaign starts, Bautista said during a forum of the Manila Overseas Press Club.

She said the DOTC order laying down the program was issued two years ago but is being implemented only now.

"I only inherited this problem," Bautista said, admitting that she expects the program to generate a lot of controversy, with many jeepney and bus groups opposed to the phaseout.

The DOTC decided to phase out aging public utility jeepneys and buses, considering them safety hazards on the road as well as environmentally unfriendly.

http://www.philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200406180406.htm

about f#*!$ time!

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    just curious, what are they gonna do with those vehicles...let it rot in their backyard?
    is the govt going to give some form of monetary compensation para gawing mga
    scrap metal yun?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    anu kayang criteria nila sa mga puj's and puv's na for phase-out...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Mukhang mahirap yan unang una san nila ilalagay yan mga yan second sabi sa news mukha daw impossible yan dahil noon pa man daw gusto na nila phase out mga 15 yr old na mga puj's at puv kaso hindi lang natuloy dahil malaki ang mawawala na mga puj's at puv...Ok na sana kung papalitan ng gov't mga sasakyan nila para may magamit pa rin sila...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tancha ko ningas kugon moves ulit yan after a few weeks/months of implementation....

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Guys,

under the law, public utility vehicle operators are supposed to have the financial capability to maintain the service. Meaning, apart from regular maintenance of their vehicles, these operators should also have the financial ability to replace them when necessary...like when safety regulations require them to be replaced.

The government is not required to reimburse, much less replace these vehicles since the grant of a franchise to operate a public utility vehicle is a mere privilege and can be revoked at any time.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    hirap naman talga if you have jeepneys, dme mo i maintain..kawawa lg dyan ang mga drivers..kc minsan yan na hanap buhay nila para sa kanilang pamilya..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    expect another jeepney & bus strike.
    may topak yata nakaisip nito, nasa gitna ng kagipitan ang bansa natin tapos ganito ang mga pinaggagawa nila.
    balak ba nila magtayo ng mega junk shop?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    expect another jeepney & bus strike.
    may topak yata nakaisip nito, nasa gitna ng kagipitan ang bansa natin tapos ganito ang mga pinaggagawa nila.
    balak ba nila magtayo ng mega junk shop?

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    and to think na almost 60-70% of the population are commuters ... so ang pinahihirapan lang nila e ang mga ordinary citizen... i think ang kailangan nila gawin is yung i control ang mga ende na pede i pa rehistro.. thorough check up talaga..
    just my two cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
15 yrs. old? you're gone