New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    --I still remember during the administration of President Cory Aquino, she launched the so-called People's car program wherein local assemblers were given incentives to bring in "affordable cars" for the middle class and the masses. Those years were the most exciting years for the country.

--Democracy was restored, business is picking up again and in the auto industry things are getting better. After the almost dead situation of the local assembly of cars in the Philippines, Toyota returned and Honda made its entry.

--the entry of new and cute cars namely: Daihatsu Charade, Honda Civic Hatchback, Kia Pride, Fiat UNo and Mitsubishi Colt made our roads and streets a little bit colorful....

---Do you think, with the high prices of gas, are we going to see a return of these cute vehicles?
    Last edited by jpdm; September 15th, 2007 at 09:49 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I think there are a lot of cute little cars available nowadays: Picanto, Jazz, Getz, Yaris/Vios, Alto, etc. What I would really love to see sold here are the kei-cars:

Problem is, puro RHD-only sila ngayon. And chances are they would be kinda expensive if they came here. :down:

Although kung tumuloy yung JPEPA, just maybe... :please:

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Alto is a no-frills 'people's car'. But it still trumps the original Pride by offering a third brake lamp, seatbelts for all occupants and rear wash/wipe.

I remember the first CD-5's didn't even have front seatbelts!

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    The Alto is a no-frills 'people's car'. But it still trumps the original Pride by offering a third brake lamp, seatbelts for all occupants and rear wash/wipe.

I remember the first CD-5's didn't even have front seatbelts!
    lol, so true. '94 model na nga yung cd5 ko and still no seatbelt, i had to buy them.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Suzuki has quite a few small and cheap cars for the Asian market. nagkalat sila sa India.

Chevy also is trying to capture that market with the Aveo. konting incentive lang jan sa mga manufacturers, madali lang buhayin ang people's car program...

6. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Ibalik ang Minica.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I agree, bring back the suzuki minica ba yun...

although parang ang kapalit yan ay yung norkis privacy, maverick at legacy first...they are alot cheaper compared to the brand new ones...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Mitsubishi Minica. Here's the F4 (http://old.etcar.net/mitsubishi/mitubishikei/)

Meron pa bang mga Minica sa probinsiya? There was a time when these were being used as low cost taxis there. Better than tricycles.

The 70's F4 had a live rear axle, which did not help the cramped seating at the back. The 60's Austin Mini had a more advanced design (transverse engine, front wheel drive) which allowed for more interior space.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by donbuggy View Post
    Mitsubishi Minica. Here's the F4 (http://old.etcar.net/mitsubishi/mitubishikei/)

Meron pa bang mga Minica sa probinsiya? There was a time when these were being used as low cost taxis there. Better than tricycles.
    Dito sa Marikina, meron pa akong nakikitang Minica. Iba na ang tail light from Corolla yata.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    --Yup, I saw one in cavite.

--Mga sirs, is a karmann ghia a people's car in germany?

--kasi may nakita ako sa may pasay nakatambak lang sa isang talyer, ok pa body nung nag-usisa ako ala pa lang makina.

--Siguro talo mga bagong people's car tulad ng hyundai getz kung ma fully-restore yung karmann ghia

--I think ang toyota sprinter ba yun people's car nuon 70s...

---ahh... ang beetle pala people's car ng volkswagen a.g.(wait redundant, volkswagen means people's car ata)
    Last edited by jpdm; September 17th, 2007 at 09:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The People's Car in the Past...