New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    tips pls for safely driving our cars in flooded roads, without damaging our car engines, and other parts. What will happen to the break if the tires are always submerge in water.thank you.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Rule of thumb, if you can avoid it, avoid wading through flood. If not, just make sure you can get across. Otherwise you'll get stuck in the middle and mess up not just the alternator, automatic transmission/torque converter, brakes, or other components easily prone to getting submerged/wet.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    When I go through Venice inspired streets, I first try to observe the other cars that are passing through it by looking at the waterline in relation to the height of their vehicles as a gauge

I also take note of the fording depth for most vehicles which is 1/2 of a vehicle's tires. Except of course for those who lower their cars since the car floor is definitely closer to the ground. Most people worry about water going in their exhaust pipes which is not really a problem if you just keep moving forward, try not to stop until you reach higher ground.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    When you don't have to, don't. Period.

Just think of it this way... that half-day wait (when you're stranded) that you've avoided by going through a flood is counterbalanced by the day (or days) you have to set aside to have your underbody inspected, your transmission fluid, oil and wiring checked and your sensors checked and/or replaced after going through a deep flood.

Worst case scenario... bye-bye engine... which is a one or two month ordeal I wouldn't wish on anybody, as I've personally been through that twice. And even though fixing the engine will get you back your car, once it's been inundated in a deep flood for a significant period of time, the electrical problems just keep coming back, over and over again.

Your initial outlay after a car-stopping flood, without engine damage, is often between 20,000 (comprehensive cleaning, airing out and fluid change) -100,000 (for newer vehicles with fried electronics and no surplus availability) pesos. Engine damage alone is about 50,000+++ (machine shop work for the valve train and scratched cylinder bores when your connecting rods buckle under the pressure of hydrolock)... and if you need a new block, tough luck.

What's worse? Sleeping in your car? Or spend many sleepless weeks without it? I know which one I'd prefer. ;)

-----

On the practical side, if you really must ford the flood, you have to know two things about your car... 1. Where the air intake is, and how prone it is to gulping water, and 2. How high your ECU is, and how long you have to be in sill deep flood water before it starts seeping around the door seals.

This is a good guide for flood-fording. Don't assume just because the taxi in front of you just waded through hood deep water, your Ford Escape can do the same... learn exactly how high the water has to be to reach your intake, and subtract about four or five inches form that, to make room for possible bow waves from trucks that may choke your intake.
    Last edited by niky; November 11th, 2007 at 03:13 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    [quote=niky;953827]When you don't have to, don't. Period.

Just think of it this way... that half-day wait (when you're stranded) that you've avoided by going through a flood is counterbalanced by the day (or days) you have to set aside to have your underbody inspected, your transmission fluid, oil and wiring checked and your sensors checked and/or replaced after going through a deep flood.

Worst case scenario... bye-bye engine... which is a one or two month ordeal I wouldn't wish on anybody, as I've personally been through that twice. And even though fixing the engine will get you back your car, once it's been inundated in a deep flood for a significant period of time, the electrical problems just keep coming back, over and over again.

Your initial outlay after a car-stopping flood, without engine damage, is often between 20,000 (comprehensive cleaning, airing out and fluid change) -100,000 (for newer vehicles with fried electronics and no surplus availability) pesos. Engine damage alone is about 50,000+++ (machine shop work for the valve train and scratched cylinder bores when your connecting rods buckle under the pressure of hydrolock)... and if you need a new block, tough luck.

What's worse? Sleeping in your car? Or spend many sleepless weeks without it? I know which one I'd prefer. ;)

-----

On the practical side, if you really must ford the flood, you have to know two things about your car... 1. Where the air intake is, and how prone it is to gulping water, and 2. How high your ECU is, and how long you have to be in sill deep flood water before it starts seeping around the door seals.

This is a good guide for flood-fording. Don't assume just because the taxi in front of you just waded through hood deep water, your Ford Escape can do the same... learn exactly how high the water has to be to reach your intake, and subtract about four or five inches form that, to make room for possible bow waves from trucks that may choke your intake.[/quote

[SIZE=3]Is it safe to drive if the water level is just above the half of the tire. i have tried to drive my fortuner on a flooded highway (in EDSA infront of camp crame)[/SIZE]

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I usually turn-off my aircon so that the compressor won't get wet with power on and the aux fans would not engage to prevent getting my electricals wet.

I usually follow a vehicle to take advantage of the water being swept aside...

If the water is too deep, I do not risk getting across. I'd rather spend time waiting for the water to subside than damage my baby....

4403:matrix:

7. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    nakita ko lang sa FB...

naniniwala ako na hopeless na ang Pilipinas sa problema ng baha o flood (di ako negative thinker, just being realistic)

help me na kumalat ito pict as a tempo solution sa baha para hindi tumirik ang kotse sa baha

144btyq.jpg

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for me.... nothing beats waiting.
    last year, i got stranded due to floods in makati.
    so napilitan akong mag check in sa isang small hotel dito sa pasay road.
    went out after 4 hours.
    nood nood ng tv, shower and kain......

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    magisa lang sir?? mas masarap yan kung may kasama!

Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    for me.... nothing beats waiting.
    last year, i got stranded due to floods in makati.
    so napilitan akong mag check in sa isang small hotel dito sa pasay road.
    went out after 4 hours.
    nood nood ng tv, shower and kain......

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^^wala dude eh..... since wifey is calling me every 30 minutes to check how am i..... hehehehehe.
    nag attempt, pero walang makuha..... binaha ata eh.....

Baha Sa Kalsada