New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    How do you regain control of your vehicle's steering when you start to aquaplane?

I was driving along McArthur Highway in Tarlac last night. The road was wet with rain and it was pitch black. Since the road was practically deserted, I was going at around 70 kph. Anyway, I noticed all too late that I was near the bridge at the boundary of Moncada and Paniqui (the dreaded bridge that has a very pronounced up-slope and has metal plates instead of asphalt underneath). I stepped on my brakes to slow down, but instead of decelerating, I felt as if my van was gliding over the surface of the road. It scared the heck out of me! Rather than risk having the van go into an uncontrolled spin, I released the brake pedal, downshifted, and just endured the slightly nasty sensation of going over the humps before the bridge at about 40 kph.

Anyway, I came out of that one all right. I was wondering though if there are other safer techniques to deal with aquaplaning. Any suggestions?

And yes, I have tires with a safe margin of tread depth left, in case anyone was wondering.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    As usual, prevention is better than cure. If you can't see the road well, slow down (whether it's dry or wet), but more when wet especially if you are unfamiliar with the area. Most tires are probably tested up to 50kmh to check if they maintain contact. Beyond that, well...

When the vehicle has "aquaplaned/hydroplaned", you have no choice but to wait for the tires to regain traction. Brakes will stop wheels from spinning but not necessarily stop the vehicle.

If you do hydroplane, try shifting to neutral, activate the hazard lights if you have time, grip the steering wheel firmly and steer where you want to go. Avoid braking or accelerating, and check your rear view mirror for oncoming vehicles.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes, I'll remember to slow down next time. Thanks.

I'm actually very familiar --maybe too familiar to the point that I became overconfident-- with the area since I travel from Pangasinan to Tarlac and back two to three times a week. But that bridge is really poorly thought out and not always well-lighted.

Oh well, chalk up another one to experience, learn from my carelessness, and drive on

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    when you aquaplane, you lose control. that's it. you can try braking but you have a good chance of locking your wheels so not really a good idea.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nangyari na rin sa akin yan dati.....di ako nag-brake kasi baka umikot ako eh...I just release my foot from the throttle and hang on for dear life.....buti na lang at yung kasunod ko eh hindi mahilig tumutok kung nagkataon eh sapol din sya sa akin.....medyo nagside-sway yung dala kong sasakyan left and right....pinagpawisan talaga ako... buhat non kapag malakas talaga ang ulan eh careful na ako, kahit na nagmamadali pa or may hinahabol na oras....

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    During aquaplaning do not, I repeat , DO NOT STEP ON THE BRAKE pedal. Lift your foot off the gas pedal (engine brake) and just steer to the direction you want to go. Apply only the brakes,gradually, when you feel you have already control of the vehicle. Ive been in these situation alot of times. But it's better to slow down during strong rains.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    another bridge is the one in pampanga where they used to detour when the olongapo-gapan road is flooded. what is worse about this bridge is, 2/3 of the way (if coming from manila) there is a bend. think about how intelligent the engineers who put up this bridge are! steel plated deck with a bend in the middle!!! eh konting basa lang ng tubig di na maganda kapit ng tyres e nilagyan pa ng liko sa gitna! i was unlucky enough to be detoured there 2 years ago and also lost control, buti na lang nasa 30kph lang takbo ko. there were already a number of vehicles that had hit the steel railings before i got there so there were quite a few very disgruntled dirvers with their cars smashed that day.

eto po yung detour na mag-right turn ka just after exiting san fernando, then go towards clark, then left turn before you reach clark. then halfway to bataan eto na yung steel plated bridge. don't know the name of the town although i passed that way 2 times already.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it won't be a good idea to shift to neutral; you'd have absolutely no control over the engine then

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by mbt
    it won't be a good idea to shift to neutral; you'd have absolutely no control over the engine then
    I agree. Spin a wheel :D

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mikey, di ba may ABS ung carnival mo? if i remember correctly "kayod" ung ilang parte ng kalsada dyan sa tarlac. remember ung mga kayod na kalsada sa NLEX na hindi ka naman lumiliko pero sumusunod pa rin ung gulong mo dun sa kayod ng kalsada, that may be another thing that happened to you.

ingatz na lang sa susunod pare..pacheck mo rin underchassis mo just to make sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Nag-aquaplane ako