New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to this site. I am planning to buy a used Ford Explorer 2002.
    I would like to have some feedback on those who owns one:

1. What is the kilometer/liter ratio for city driving?
    2. What is the usual used price for a 2002 Ford Explorer? The one that I plan to buy is about 780T. I am having 2nd thoughts because the new Toyota Innova only costs 720T and it is new at that price. But I just loved the look of the Explorer.
    3. Is it easy to park it in mall parking space? It is quite long so anyone had difficulties squeezing it through small parking spaces. I hate to park my car in mall parkings because other drivers would park very close to me and sometimes I would find dents from doors of other cars.
    4. Any other comments would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Please cc a copy to my email emilio.aguinaldo*gmail.com

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    PinoyBuyer, you're going to have to catch your jaw from dropping to the floor. The average city driving fuel consumption of the lower-end Explorer engine (a 4x2 tranny, V6 4.0 liter, 210hp) is a wonderful 4 kilometers per liter. So unless you don't mind spending about P1,800 to P2,000 a week on gas (daily use), then I guess it's okay. I kinda knew this was the consumption even before I bought my 2005 Explorer a few months ago. But I've never driven it on the highway yet, so I haven't been able to calculate its long-distance fuel consumption.

As for the price of a used 2002 Explorer, I really wouldn't know. The resale value is $hit, and that's a given. Try to find out what the going price for a new 2002 Explorer was back then. Knock off 25% for the first year, then another 5-10% for each additional year. For example, if it cost P1.2 million originally, you shouldn't pay more than P780,000 today. But it could be much less than that. Some very well-kept 2001 Expeditions are selling for less than P1m now.

If you're going for fuel economy with plenty of seating, and no-frills driving, you might be better off getting the Innova. The ride is solid, too. I drive my father's Innova sometimes and I have nothing to say against it. It's a great car for the price.

The Explorer, at least the one I drive, is just right for driving almost anywhere in Metro Manila. Parking in malls is no problem. And the back-up sensors also help a lot when trying to get in and out of parallel parking situations. The SUV looks intimidating at first glance, but the dimensions are very manageable. Just try to avoid buildings with really narrow driveways where you might hit the wall with your fender. But I've been to most malls in the city and they're all okay.

Lastly, the Explorer is a joy to drive. You're gonna fall in love with it, I assure you. Just as long as you can handle its thirst for petrol, it'll make you one happy owner. I haven't had that long of an experience with it to know its quirks and problems, but I assume that the newer models are far more efficient and reliable than the older ones. Get one na para dumami tayong mga Explorer-owners sa Tsikot!

Good luck in your choice!

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    What about the "new" 4x2 2.3L escape? Would anyone here know the consumption of this improved (power-to-weight ratio) design?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    fuel consumption is around 4-5 km/L in city driving depending upon the driving conditions.

I dunno about the current market price..

Handling is superb thanks to its all-independent suspension. Parking is a breeze, just like driving an Escape according to an owner friend.

if you will not be minding the fuel expense.. it would make a nice car for you!

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    My Explorer sporttrac runs 6-8 kms/Liter and our Dodge Durango V8 at 5kms/liter.The ride of the Sporttrac is superb and it's an SUV/SUT combined.Go for it! Comparing it with the low end Innova is far from imagination.Peace! Better yet go to the mysporttrac.com site and click why Bob Zimmer chose this over the BMW X5

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by warbird View Post
    My Explorer sporttrac runs 6-8 kms/Liter and our Dodge Durango V8 at 5kms/liter.The ride of the Sporttrac is superb and it's an SUV/SUT combined.Go for it! Comparing it with the low end Innova is far from imagination.Peace! Better yet go to the mysporttrac.com site and click why Bob Zimmer chose this over the BMW X5
    To compare the Explorer to a BMW X5 is ridiculous, like comparing the Explorer to the low end Innova. its two very different vehicles and I would take the X5 over the Explorer anyday any time - that being said I have a 2002/2003 Explorer which I have owned since new. I took delivery January 2003, its a 2wd and the price was 1.35 mill w/ the optional truckbed hardcover.

I usually get 5.5 - 6.5 km/l in the city and up to 8km/l on the highway, its a great truck/suv. Mine has 100.000 clicks on the odometer and some of my buddies has up to 200.000km on the odometer without any problems.

The spare parts are quite expensive and the service at the Ford dealerships could certainly be improved.

What's the mileage for a Ford Explorer?