New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to keep my 2009 TDCI or replace this with the current Focus Sport+ (the 2.0 litre gas).

I love the engine of the TDCI, the power + fuel efficiency, but it's getting a little older now and I'm wondering how well it will hold up.

I'll probably keep either Focus (the TDCI or Sport+, if I go with that) for the next 3 to 5 years.

The pros and cons of switching to the new model, as far as I can see are:
    Pros: less maintenance issues in the coming years, toys and features (sounds system, more airbags, etc.) although these aren't too important to me
    Cons: less power

I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have, especially if I'm missing out on anything.

In particular it would be very helpful if any of you have thoughts on how much I'd be giving up in driving enjoyment-if at all (essentially handling and acceleration for me) by switching to the new model.

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by butterpear View Post
    Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to keep my 2009 TDCI or replace this with the current Focus Sport+ (the 2.0 litre gas).

I love the engine of the TDCI, the power + fuel efficiency, but it's getting a little older now and I'm wondering how well it will hold up.

I'll probably keep either Focus (the TDCI or Sport+, if I go with that) for the next 3 to 5 years.

The pros and cons of switching to the new model, as far as I can see are:
    Pros: less maintenance issues in the coming years, toys and features (sounds system, more airbags, etc.) although these aren't too important to me
    Cons: less power

I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have, especially if I'm missing out on anything.

In particular it would be very helpful if any of you have thoughts on how much I'd be giving up in driving enjoyment-if at all (essentially handling and acceleration for me) by switching to the new model.

Thanks in advance!
    Is your TDCI a hatch or the later sedan version? If my opinion counts, I'd keep the TDCI. The low end torque and the high end horsespower combi of that engine is just very sweet for me to trade in to a naturally aspirated gasser, not to mention how frugal it is on the gas pump. Just take extra care of the turbo.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Hi Kompressor, appreciate the quick response. My TDCI is the hatch version- your opinion does count and I hear you on the torque.

I should add two pieces of info by the way- this current focus TDCI gave me transmission problems in the past (fixed with a clutch replacement, so it should be in good shape for now); and for the new Focus I would be shelling out about PhP700k only because of a great favor a relative would give me on it (which is the only reason I'm considering the change at all).

Thanks again.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Dual Clutch TDCI?

The new Focus Sport+ is actually nearly as quick as the TDCI. Good transmission, lots of power. The direct injection gasoline motor has less low-down grunt than the diesel, but you can really feel all 170 horses once the engine is wound up.

The toys are nice, the interior is much, MUCH nicer, the back seat feels more spacious, and quality overall is excellent.

On the downside, the electric power steering is not as good as the steering on the older model. As you're already an owner, that's something that will be obvious right away. The shame is, only the lower-end 1.6s get the better hydraulic power steering system.

If you don't mind all that much, you should be happier with the newer car.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Try driving mine. It's trash.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for the feedback nicky and ericc.

Ericc, I read your posts about your problems, sorry to hear about them and hope Ford sorts them out. It's making me think about getting the extended warranty.

Niky, it's a relief to hear that the new model is nearly as quick as the TDCI as that was my main concern. I guess the power delivery has a different profile maybe I'll learn to enjoy high revs instead of sitting on the torque.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by butterpear View Post
    Thanks for the feedback nicky and ericc.

Ericc, I read your posts about your problems, sorry to hear about them and hope Ford sorts them out. It's making me think about getting the extended warranty.

Niky, it's a relief to hear that the new model is nearly as quick as the TDCI as that was my main concern. I guess the power delivery has a different profile maybe I'll learn to enjoy high revs instead of sitting on the torque.
    Can't stress enough how terrible the experience of owning this MK3 has been for me.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Yung sakin mk3 focus sport+ talagang sa una maninibago ka kung galing ka sa tdci, kasi ang mk3 kelangan mo tapakan ng madiin para makuha mo yung power nya di tulad sa tdci na sumisipa agad. Ansarap naman sa zigzag ng mk3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

9. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    masarap gamitin focus sports na 2.0 lalo na pag gamit mo ung S umaatungal ung makina feel na feel mo ung pagka sports niya,,
    saka isa pa masarap pag laruan ung ,,parang auto park..ung kusang mag park pumipihit manibela..he he,,,
    dami pang features,,,diko ko lang alam kung mayroon ganung mga features sa 1.8

computerized na lahat,,ang masakit dito pag nagloko na mga sensor nito..
    Last edited by jaypee10; October 18th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    Go for the New one if you think you like it very much as your current car. If not, stay with the TDCi. It's still a great car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast