New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    pag matataray talaga taste eh ayaw sa iodine. Just like the owner of zubuchon

dapat may choice ang tao, pwede mamili kung wala iodine or meron. Kaso sa mga top supermarket hindi ka makakabili ng walang iodine even sa palengke. Sa supplier ka mismo pupunta. Mahassle pa.

03OCT2007
    Sea Salt, No Iodine Please€
    by Marketman

For as long as I can remember, I recall my parents saying €œyou need iodine to avoid goiter€€ what the heck is goiter, anyway? According to the Mayo clinic site, goiter is €œan enlargement of the thyroid gland.€ So in our household, iodized salt was a necessary ingredient (even though I did catch mom using plain sea salt in a lot of our food). Apparently, some natural sea salts can contain trace amounts of iodine, after all it is an abundant chemical in the sea€ But for some reason, and there is a lot of history about those reasons on several sites on the net, iodized salt seemed like the best place to sneak that much needed mineral into our daily diets. This is similar to the argument that good potable city water should have flouride to help our teeth/bones, and now that everyone is drinking more bottled water, we all hope to get the flouride from our toothpastes instead€

If you have been reading this blog long enough, you will know I am a bit obsessive/compulsive about my salt. I know the base ingredient/chemical behind all salt is the same, and the taste should be the same too, but I am enamored with different kinds of salt and stock at least a dozen kinds at any one time, probably ridiculous I agree, but this is just one of my quirks. The shape of the crystals, the way it reacts with different ingredients, its various colors from black to grey to pink to white, and its source(s) like high up in the Himalayas, has always intrigued me. So on the drive back from Pagudpud, when we spotted several salt vendors roadside, we HAD to stop to buy some salt. It turns out that the local government mandates the addition of iodine to the locally collected and prepared salt. This sea salt is different from the ones directlly evaporated from salt water. Instead, this salt is cooked and the water steamed off, leaving the salt crystals. The salt is incredibly white and incredibly intense.

But I hate iodine added to my salt. It leaves a chemical flavour and if you use a lot of iodized salt, it really makes a difference to the final dish (try making tapa with iodized vs. not iodized salt to taste the difference). So I avoid iodized salt except in the finest table salts used in a salt shaker, and even then I would use that sparingly, instead putting out salt cellars with €œgood€ non-iodized salt when guests are over for dinner. I wonder why the local government would mandate iodized salt when the province of Ilocos Norte is blessed with so much seafood and seafood is an incredibly good source of natural iodine€ At any rate, I whispered conspiratorially with the Manang at the stand and she smiled, nodded, gestured to a young kid, and asked me to wait. Someone went off in a tricycle and a few minutes later I had 10 kilos of FABULOUS unadulterated Ilocos sea salt, without a trace of iodine, straight from the factory and just made that morning. Smell a big bag of iodized salt vs. the plain salt and you will always seek out the plain salt. I felt like I was buying contraband, but at PHP100 for 10 kilos of great looking and tasting salt, this was my buy of the day€ P.S. This seems like a wonderful salt for a salt enrusted and baked lapu-lapu, yum!

Market Manila -
    Sea Salt, No Iodine Please… - General

2. Join Date
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kagalingan View Post
    pag matataray talaga taste eh ayaw sa iodine. Just like the owner of zubuchon

dapat may choice ang tao, pwede mamili kung wala iodine or meron. Kaso sa mga top supermarket hindi ka makakabili ng walang iodine even sa palengke. Sa supplier ka mismo pupunta. Mahassle pa.

Market Manila -
    Sea Salt, No Iodine Please - General
    Sir Kags, pink salt? Mas ok ba yun? Ano brand ma recommend mo at saan pede bumili..
    Kapag nauwi friend ko from Malaysia yun pinabibili ko..pero nahihiya na ako 2 years in a row na ako nagpapabili.. Eh ang bigat.. Hahahahahaha 3 kilo.. Mura kasi sa Malaysia..
    Wala kasi ako makita sa grocery not sure kung di ko lang makita.. Hmmm..

Sent from my CPH1907 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    yan pink salt na sinasabi mo nagbigay sa amin last year, month of september ata. Kirkland ground himalayan pink salt. Hindi ko pa nabubuksan kasi dudey ako mahirap pang marinate yan sa sukiyaki cut na beef or pork. Kailangan kasi rock salt yung parang coarse para pantay kapit sa karne. Nagtry ako dati sea salt masyado pino sosobra alat hindi pantay.

Pero kung flavoring lang eh like sa sabaw or sauces ok na sea salt para tunaw agad.

SA supermarket as in lahat iodized. Ilan taon na ako umiikot, kumakauspa na magbenta sila kaso wala nangyayari. Feeling ko may kalokohan dito sa iodization bakit ayaw bigyan ng choice mga tao. Natatancha ko mas nagwoworsten health sa iodized.

Ang supplier meron sa binondo nalimutan ko name. Basta naglalakad ako one time nung bago pa mayor si isko domagoso eh bigla ako may nakita supplier of salt so dinial ko landline number sa cellphone ko para to "save" Kinabukasan natawagan ko sa landline meron sila walang iodine.

Pupuntahan ko this month kasi paubos na stock ko ng asin na nabili ko pa year 2016-2017 pa sa garcias supermarket dito sa true qc. PAti sila wala na din kabwisit.

TAga rizal ka di ba. Baka jan sa inyo magtanong ka sa palengke pero siguraduhin mo na hindi iodized. Kasi yung sa article ni marketman eh sa ilocos na yan tapos sa bangketa lang eh iodized pa!!!! Kailangan pa nya pasecreto sabihin kung meron ba pure. GAnyan ang kalokohan ng FDA DOH. Imagine nasa ilocos, tabig-dagat na nga eh magiiodize pa. Pwede naman kumain seafood seaweeds kung talaga need iodine.

Kaya hindi na ako nagulat tinamaan ng controversy sa dengoyvaxia and acetic acid. Sa future may iba pa kalokohan lalabas Imagine ang nakatuklas sa acetic acid eh Department of Science and Technology-Philippine Nuclear Research Institute (DOST-PNRI). Tameme sila jan.

EDIT: Ayun nakita ko na sa google maps. Piao Hio Salt Dealer Inc.

Pero as much as possbile mas gusto ko yung galing sa pangasinan na coarse rock salt.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    kapag nagawi kayo sa amin sa bandang western Pang-asinan, maraming asin, bundok ng asinSea Salt, No Iodine Please

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by monty_GTV View Post
    kapag nagawi kayo sa amin sa bandang western Pang-asinan, maraming asin, bundok ng asinSea Salt, No Iodine Please

Grabe ang amoy ng mga tao dyan hahhahaha. Amoy dagat hahahhaha.

The view is scenic.

Kags is right about the goiter folks there.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    i reckoned when i was young, i saw few adult women with goiters sa probins but lately wala na ako nakikita. maybe nasolb ng iodine?

afaik, sa bahay sea salt ang gamit. i remember my lola before sa probins, bumibili talaga ng stock na asin. sa mga palengke sa probinsiya, marami pa rin tindang sea salt.

i like this guy, flav citySea Salt, No Iodine Please
    5 Best Salts For Cooking...And One To Avoid - Salt Grocery Haul - YouTube

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monty_GTV View Post

Pag na dadaan kami dyan during vacation bumibili kami dyan, less than ₱100 worth can last us more than a year.

Yung iodized salt ang silbi lang nya eh sa lasa (maalat) pero sa ibang gamit ng asin hindi effective, like when using it in a frying pan to avoid food sticking to the pan.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    ^
    kalokohan kasi yung mga unang lumabas na iodzied salt na sobrang pino kagaya ng mccormick brand. Ginawan ng paraan yan iodized rock salt but still may iodine pa din na unnecessary sa pinas.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    monty,

magkano presyo sa pangasinan ng isang sacko bale 50kilos rock salt?

10. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kagalingan View Post
    monty,

magkano presyo sa pangasinan ng isang sacko bale 50kilos rock salt?
    no idea kags. parang wala pa ako nakita na per sako sa palengke, mostly nakasupot na. and they sell not by kilos, may takalan sila na lata. and btw, sea salt ang meron sa PangasinanSea Salt, No Iodine Please

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast