New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2008
    Here in Iloilo city, during christmas season, families here prepare a locally available hoc hsiu style chinese ham which I believed is made in Bacolod City or Cebu City. It is a good ham, fine textured and tender but a little bit salty. Last week, I had a chance to go to Metro Manila for a five day training. I was at Shopwise in Commonwealth, Quezon City when I saw a stall selling Majestic chinese ham. Before I went home to Iloilo City, I bought a kilo of Majestic ham for pasalubong to my Family. We found it a superior ham both in texture, firmness and tenderness compared to what are available here in Iloilo City. Majestic ham is not salty at all and I heard that it is made using natural ingredients without artificial preservatives. I am wondering if this is the best ham in pinas. I heard that there are other good hams in Metro Manila like Excellente. I have not tried it though and I would like to try it next time. What are your opinions? Can you please name other good hams available in Metro Manila and elsewhere in pinas and where they can be bought? Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rfgoons View Post
    Here in Iloilo city, during christmas season, families here prepare a locally available hoc hsiu style chinese ham which I believed is made in Bacolod City or Cebu City. It is a good ham, fine textured and tender but a little bit salty. Last week, I had a chance to go to Metro Manila for a five day training. I was at Shopwise in Commonwealth, Quezon City when I saw a stall selling Majestic chinese ham. Before I went home to Iloilo City, I bought a kilo of Majestic ham for pasalubong to my Family. We found it a superior ham both in texture, firmness and tenderness compared to what are available here in Iloilo City. Majestic ham is not salty at all and I heard that it is made using natural ingredients without artificial preservatives. I am wondering if this is the best ham in pinas. I heard that there are other good hams in Metro Manila like Excellente. I have not tried it though and I would like to try it next time. What are your opinions? Can you please name other good hams available in Metro Manila and elsewhere in pinas and where they can be bought? Thanks.
    Excelente in Sta Cruz near Hidalgo. None better.

Adelinas in Kalentong also comes highly recommended
    Last edited by Newcomer123; November 6th, 2014 at 01:04 PM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Usually ang ham na binibili namin ay hindi chinese style. Tasty ham of Malabon ang binibili namin especially when i was in my Hometown of Navotas. Masarap siya at homemade siya.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    +1 on Excelente. It really takes an effort to buy, you have to line up early. It's worth it though!

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Overhyped na yan excelente. Try ninyo Lolita's ham

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Mas ok sa akin yung Adelina's sa Kalentong.. kahit yung scrap lang ayus na!

Top 10 Hams in Metro Manila | GALLERY | SPOT.ph: Your One-Stop Urban Lifestyle Guide to the Best of Manila

1. Holiday Ham by Michelle Dee (P850/ kilo)

Michelle Dee’s ham is our hands down winner for the best ham in the metropolis. Its flavor, texture, and color are perfect and posess an ideal meat-to-fat marbling ratio. Add to that a delightful crust of sugar that makes her ham even more memorable. Crediting her mentor and friend Chef Ed Quimson for her ham recipe, Michelle explains that every step is done by hand the old fashioned way from start to finish—from curing, cutting each slab to the ordered sizes, baking, sugar-glazing each ham and making a sauce out of the dripping. “This is a passion that I only share during the Christmas season” muses Michelle. “People start ordering as early as September for November pick-up and I stop curing by early December.” This labor of love results in a tender, delicious ham that will certainly please even the most discerning palate.

All hams are sold at P850/kilo and sizes range from 1-3kilos. Christmas packaging is offered for an additional P75-105 depending on the size of the ham.

Call 892-0688 and 893-3036 for orders.

2. Three Intsia Road Kitchen (P900/ kilo)

It is our first year to try this ham by Nelia Silverio and we were instantly seduced—it’s just that good. This ham has a surprising amount of flavor considering it was the leanest of all the baked hams that we tried. Cured for two weeks and served with a muscovado sauce that is redolent of cloves and orange peel, the spice and fruit of the sauce balances the ham’s saltiness and richness perfectly. Baked hams at Three Intsia Kitchen are sold at P900/kilo. All hams are boxed and presented on a white serving platter.

Call (0917) 527-7778 for orders.

3. The Plaza Premium Baked Ham (P1,300/ kilo)

The Plaza’s Premium Baked Ham is the taste of Christmas past and lucky for us, it is now available year-round. This four generation secret family recipe has become a holiday staple and is the centerpiece of many holiday feasts. Lightly wood-smoked then baked and finally glazed to a crisp perfection, The Plaza’s ham is available with the bone-in leg and retails at P1,300 per kilo or alternatively the boneless variety ball ham is priced at P2,100 at a standard size of 1.5 kilos.

Check their website for a list of their locations or call 729-0001-03.

4. Classic Chef Catering’s Ham (P850/ kilo for the bone-in ham; P900/ kilo for the loin)

Those who have had the pleasure of enjoying meals catered by Classic Chef Catering know that their roast ham is something special. For those of you who enjoy a sweet ham with fruitful flavor, this is the ham for you. The meat is tender and succulent and is best enjoyed with their pineapple sauce and freshly baked dinner rolls sold separately in boxes of 35 pieces. Classic Chef baked hams are sold at P900/kilo for a plump loin of ham and P850/kilo for the bone-in variety.

Classic Chef Catering is at 161 D. Tuazon Street, Quezon City. Tel. No. 731-2286 or (0917) 526-5217.

5. Excelente (P940/ kilo)

Smoky and lean, Excelente Chinese Ham has a balanced grain and firm texture. The complexity of flavor brought about by the smoking process delivers a meat with a concentrated flavor that manages the fine line between sweet and savory with much success. Sold at P940/kilo, Excelente ham has been part of the Christmas tradition for many generations of Filipinos.

Excelente is at 155-157 Carlos Palanca Sr. Street, Quiapo, Manila. Tel. Nos. 733-6355, 733-6360.

6. Adelina’s (P870/kilo for boneless loins, P950 for the sliced ham)

Adelina’s has been serving up one of the best Chinese-style cured hams in Manila since 1955. This tender and full-flavored ham is well balanced and is neither overly sweet or salty. The sticky sauce served on the side is legendary and adds another dimension of flavor to the already perfect meat. Available freshly-sliced off the bone at P950/kilo with sauce already mixed in or P1,050 with the sauce on the side. Whole boneless loins are also sold at P870/kilo and bone-in legs of ham are P930/kilo.

Adelina’s is at 180-82 General Kalentong Street, Mandaluyong City. Tel. No. 531-6833.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    Overhyped na yan excelente. Try ninyo Lolita's ham
    Where is that?

My favorite though is Purefoods Fiesta ham

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Binondo rin, abad santos. Nanay nun A/C shop na Celsius, nabangit na yata dito yun A/C shop na yun

9. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Excelente near SM Carriedo (Sta cruz Manila ) sa may Hidalgo. Traffic nga lang and ang hirap ng parking.
    Just like the other comment, haba ng pila kapag holiday season.

Sent from my iPod

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    meron na ding mga ham sa mga foodcourt.. dito sa Glorietta 4 food court may Excelente yata..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast