New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    http://ph.news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-i...04534-088.html

QUEZON CITY, METRO MANILA — The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) lauded the passing of a bill that penalizes spanking or hitting children as a form of discipline.
    The Positive Discipline Act of 2011 passed the first reading at the House committee on the welfare of children. The bill is co-authored by Tarlac Representative Susan Yap and Bagong Henerasyon Rep. Bernadette Herrera-Dy.
    The said bill promotes positive and non-violent forms of disciplining children.
    High profile cases of child violence and beatings prompted Congress to act with a proposed legislation to assist parents in fulfilling their parental authority while upholding children's rights.
    Once approved into law, the bill mandates a comprehensive program to protect children from all forms of physical or mental (psychological) violence, injury and neglect.
    "At most the punishment would be an aresto major, which includes one to 60 days of imprisonment but for cases like this, usually the DSWD (Department of Social Work and Welfare) intervenes to reorient the parents on how to handle their children," said Herrera-Dy.
    A study by Plan International, the United Nations Children's Education Fund (UNICEF) and Australian Aid (Ausaid) showed high incidence of school children being subjected to physical punishment to discourage misbehavior.
    As defined under the bill, positive and non-violent discipline refers to "an approach to correct the behavior of a child and to teach a lesson that would build self-discipline and emotional control while nurturing a good relationship with the child by understanding his or her needs and capabilities at various ages".
    The Department of Education has affirmed its support to the bill and has likewise initiated some actions together with UNICEF that would address violence against children not just in school but at home.
    "Evidence stress that violence against children is harmful as it impedes their development and has negative impact on their childhood," noted Child Rights Network (CRN) co-convenor Selena Fortich. "This is an opportunity for the Philippines to be in the forefront of the advocacy to institutionalize and promote positive and non-violent ways of discipline for children."
    quoted from Yahoo! News Philippines

I don't fully agree with this one, we should differentiate between using spanking to discipline children....VS. people who beat children up due to spite or something else.

I got my fair share of spanking when I was a child...and I turned out ok. I spank my son sometimes...very rarely mind you...and mostly as a last resort.

Proverbs 13:24 (New International Version, ©2011)

24 Whoever spares the rod hates their children,
    but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Last edited by ghosthunter; March 31st, 2011 at 09:02 AM.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    this is a stupid law, spanking is a part of disciplining your children, we are sinners by nature even as a child, so positive affirmation alone will not work. here is what the bible teaches:
    1. Never spank in anger, do not pour your anger out on the child, that is not disciplining.
    2. spank with a rod, not with your hand (the hand is a symbol of affection). if you use your hand to spank, the child will confuse it for discipline.
    3. Spank only in the buttocks, and not anywhere else.
    4. talk to your child after spanking, explain to them why they were spanked, then affirm them of your love with a hug.
    5. let them acknowledge their sin, if they do not, they will not understand why they are being spanked. then pray with them.

I believe in spanking, and I believe the bible lays down the perfect procedure for doing so. disciplining without spanking will not work, as a general rule.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    So, we'll end up with an Anti-Spanking Law and an Anti-Violence Against Women and Children Law?

the AVAWC already addresses violence and cruelty to women and children in particular. I don't know what an Anti-Spanking Bill aims to achieve. So, what do they intend to do, put parents to jail for disciplining their children? What a crock!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kuyapete View Post
    this is a stupid law, spanking is a part of disciplining your children, we are sinners by nature even as a child, so positive affirmation alone will not work. here is what the bible teaches:
    1. Never spank in anger, do not pour your anger out on the child, that is not disciplining.
    2. spank with a rod, not with your hand (the hand is a symbol of affection). if you use your hand to spank, the child will confuse it for discipline.
    4. talk to your child after spanking, explain to them why they were spanked, then affirm them of your love with a hug.
    5. let them acknowledge their sin, if they do not, they will not understand why they are being spanked. then pray with them.

I believe in spanking, and I believe the bible lays down the perfect procedure for doing so. disciplining without spanking will not work, as a general rule.
    agree ako!

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    as the old but effective saying goes:"spare the rod and spoil the child"

7. Join Date
    Feb 2010

very well said sir!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Great.

Natural na pasaway na nga ang pinoy, gagatungan pa nito.

The next generation is doomed.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Dumbass American sensibilities and political correctness seeping into the country. Do not want.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jave View Post
    Great.

Natural na pasaway na nga ang pinoy, gagatungan pa nito.

The next generation is doomed.
    If this pushes thru...ano gagamitin ng mga magulang to punish errant behaviour...stay at the corner na lang ba...squat or luhod sa asin or munggo?

Quote Originally Posted by eld View Post
    Dumbass American sensibilities and political correctness seeping into the country. Do not want.
    Mismo! Baka next time eh meron na rin tayong events like the Columbine shooting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Anti-spanking bill passes 1st reading * Lower House