New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    was just informed that my 92 glxi lancer (singkit) needs to be overhauled or replace the engine...
    the "trusty" neighborhood mechanic suggests for an overhaul since u know the history of the engine and since most surplus engines only give 1 month gaurantee...
    i'm on a tight budget ( obviously old school na nga tsikot ko e! ;) ) and would really appreciate inputs on how to go about this...

tnx in advance!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kung tiwala ka sa mechanic na gagawa, mas ok ang overhaul. for one thing, a well performed overhaul gives you a good as new engine. new piston rings (and maybe even new pistons), new liners, new connecting rod and main bearings, new head gasket, new shaft seals, new valves and seats, new valve guides, new valve stem seals, new cam bushings/bearings, new water pump, new oil pump, new fuel pump. magastos, pero worth it. may added cost pa yan ng machining of cylinder head and block, and even crankshaft if it is worn already.

pero if you are on a tight budget you can always forego of the water pump, oil pump and fuel pump. pwede na yun i-overhaul or palitan when you get the money na.

although a replacement engine is cheaper, remember that a surplus engine is a used, as-is engine. you don't really know what you buy until you turn the starter key.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    sir tingin ko mas maganda atang ipa overhaul mo na lang, kasi makakapili ka pa ng parts na bibilhin mo pwedeng orig/japan replacement pero huwag kung taiwan parts kasi hindi rin gaanong magtatagal.

pero kung may kakilala kang nagbebenta ng surplus parts na alam mo namang hindi ka lolokohin eh go for it! mas simple nga lang yun kaso nga lang maglalakad ka pa ng papers sa LTO for change engine.

=)

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I suggest you go for the overhual. Mas tatagal yung engine. Mas mura sya in the long run.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    You can consider the swap if you plan to put a more powerful engine. Yun nga lang, the replacement motor may also need an overhaul.

If you just want your car to run like usual, overhaul is the best thing to do. Have a reliable mechanic do it as well.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    yup, unless you go EVO or MIVEC, just overhaul. And even when you're swapping to a better motor, you're going to be spending a lot of money after the swap tuning/fixing... and sometimes rebuilding the new motor...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    overhaul parin. swap only if your going for mivec or evo. I agree with niky :D

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you want to increase your car's power significantly, better opt for a surplus engine. But mind you, changing engine is like russian roulette. You can go for 4g63, 4g63T, 4g61T

If you just want a daily driver car. i strongly suggest to just overhaul your existing engine.

we have the same car. I slapped a 4g63 in it.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    i vote for engine swap to 4g63T. but that's because i like fast cars. kung contento ka na sa performance, then overhaul is the way to go.

andy

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    overhaul!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Engine Swap vs Overhaul