New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ano po kaya problema pag steady naka on yung check engine light? den pag cold start walang idle..kailangan pa apakan yung gas para umandar..sakit sa ulo 96 accord Exi nga pla..

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    OBD2 SYSTEM yan ,kailangan mo ng scanner para malaman ang codes na stored ,then you go from there.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    You can narrow down the root of the problem by following this procedure:

Good luck!

4. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    senstive talaga mga sensors ng honda. you can try resetting the ecu first, if no go then proceed with the self test above. if you want to be accurate just drop by to a honda casa for the diags via computer then have it serviced outside.they will give you a print out malamang dirty or defective sensor. pero if you want to DIY , then count the long and short lights flash during the diags then refer to the manual which sensor is the culprit

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    You cannot do a self diagnostic by yourself unless you are a trained technician. Check engine could be anything and no one could help you here. Bring it to the honda dealer they know better and they have the machine to pin point the problem.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    You cannot do a self diagnostic by yourself unless you are a trained technician. Check engine could be anything and no one could help you here. Bring it to the honda dealer they know better and they have the machine to pin point the problem.
    I beg to disagree. You can google for the shop manual. That's the same manual the pro techies are using and I can assure you that almost anyone who can read it will be able to at least diagnose what's triggering the CEL. Of course, you probably won't be able to fix every problem that pops up. But at least you'll have a general idea of what's wrong so you'll be better informed when the mechanic gives you the repair estimate.

For instance, if the CEL says it's the O2 sensor that's at fault, you'll know that the mechanic is probably running a number on you if he says that you should replace the MAP and/or MAF sensors as well. Unless of course if he can prove that these parts are already beyond their service limits (parameters of which are also stated in the shop manual).

In other words, there's no harm in figuring out what's wrong and try to see if it is field repairable (ie. loose or corroded connection). You only need common sense and a bit of analytical skills and there's potential to save a lot of money.

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I beg to disagree. You can google for the shop manual. That's the same manual the pro techies are using and I can assure you that almost anyone who can read it will be able to at least diagnose what's triggering the CEL. Of course, you probably won't be able to fix every problem that pops up. But at least you'll have a general idea of what's wrong so you'll be better informed when the mechanic gives you the repair estimate.

For instance, if the CEL says it's the O2 sensor that's at fault, you'll know that the mechanic is probably running a number on you if he says that you should replace the MAP and/or MAF sensors as well. Unless of course if he can prove that these parts are already beyond their service limits (parameters of which are also stated in the shop manual).

In other words, there's no harm in figuring out what's wrong and try to see if it is field repairable (ie. loose or corroded connection). You only need common sense and a bit of analytical skills and there's potential to save a lot of money.
    I do disagree.

You can learn about car systems and how they work. In my 10+ years as working into an A.S.E. Master Tech, I have learned that it is hard to teach someone or to learn to be an automotive technician. If you can work on cars now, and they work when you are done then you can learn on line, but it is much better to works on hands experience. Technicians have a different way of thinking and analyzing that can not be learned even in the best school.

There is a huge difference in what the book tells you or in the internet to do, and what you have to do in the real world. The only thing that is the same is the logic in it. You have to factor in outside variables, like rust, stripped or damaged nuts and bolts, bent or cracked componants, siezed componants. Almost everything in the book is different from what is done or in real life. The book is basically guidelines that have a huge overlap in what is right and wrong. I've known people who have been able to answer any question asked about how to do the job, but you give them a tool box and say "go at it", and they are at a complete loss if you take away thier book. I've known people who have been non certified and couldn't tell you the difference between an intake manifold and a spark plug yet, they just know what to do, and how to do it, they just don't know the names. You have to have an equal balance between logic and practle experience. Not everything in the logic portion will prepair you for what is going to happen. On-line learning -- or any type of book learning -- will only have limited value. When it comes to bending wrenches, NOTHING beats hands-on experience. You can learn what parts are, what they do, where they are located usually, but to be "good" at it takes hands on practice, a lot of it...believe me.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    to properly and accurately pinpoint the rootcause of the fault code present,the tech has to have a scanner capable of reading and displaying the data and not only that ,V6DREAMER is absolutely right about what he just mentioned . the tech must be fully equipped of dealing with it. meaning fully equipped is ,the shop has to have :

complete technical info, scanner , and testers and add the tech's massive knowledge of dealing with automotive electronics ( no guessing here) , and a little bit of luck sometimes.

yes it can be repaired by a shop aside from casa( i think that's 0j88's point of view along with trying to get BIGDADDY informed what he may be looking at ) but i think in Philippines, it's hard to find a reputable aftermarket independent shop.

by the way i own and operate a specialty shop here in CANADA and DRIVEABILITY DIAGNOSTICS is one of my specialties .

I'm even considering openning a service centre in philippines specializing in engine electronics, car A/C, auto electrical and more.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    I do disagree.

You can learn about car systems and how they work. In my 10+ years as working into an A.S.E. Master Tech, I have learned that it is hard to teach someone or to learn to be an automotive technician. If you can work on cars now, and they work when you are done then you can learn on line, but it is much better to works on hands experience. Technicians have a different way of thinking and analyzing that can not be learned even in the best school.

There is a huge difference in what the book tells you or in the internet to do, and what you have to do in the real world. The only thing that is the same is the logic in it. You have to factor in outside variables, like rust, stripped or damaged nuts and bolts, bent or cracked componants, siezed componants. Almost everything in the book is different from what is done or in real life. The book is basically guidelines that have a huge overlap in what is right and wrong. I've known people who have been able to answer any question asked about how to do the job, but you give them a tool box and say "go at it", and they are at a complete loss if you take away thier book. I've known people who have been non certified and couldn't tell you the difference between an intake manifold and a spark plug yet, they just know what to do, and how to do it, they just don't know the names. You have to have an equal balance between logic and practle experience. Not everything in the logic portion will prepair you for what is going to happen. On-line learning -- or any type of book learning -- will only have limited value. When it comes to bending wrenches, NOTHING beats hands-on experience. You can learn what parts are, what they do, where they are located usually, but to be "good" at it takes hands on practice, a lot of it...believe me.
    I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying. But first, please allow me to put things into perspective. We're not talking about engine overhauling or removal, nor am I suggesting that the ECM be reflashed or anything of that magnitude.... the OP simply wanted to know what the CEL is telling him. I merely showed him how to extract that bit of information. It's still up to him if he wants to push through with the DIY or not.

With all humility, I personally love troubleshooting. Over the years, I've learned a lot about fixing electronics, electrical and mechanical devices, both at home and at my current work (IP voice, data, and wireless networking, which I think will bore everyone). I'm far from being a guru like, maybe you when it comes to cars, but I do understand a thing or two about it since my dad used to run a talyer back in the day. And with my background in electronics, I pretty much understand how everything comes to play in our car's internals. The books will simply show you the "hows" and a little of the "whys". Most part of the "whys" are usually left to the techie to figure out.

Like I said, you need some analytical skills. Most people have that already all they need are the "hows". I don't see anything wrong with wanting to find out for themselves what the car "thinks" is the problem. If the method I posted is construed as a blessing to the OP, I'll be glad it helped him, however a bit. If not, maybe later when some poor guy with a CEL on strays into this thread can find it useful. Either way, I hope I've helped the community.

Working along these thoughts, I believe that's one reason why this forum exist.

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying. But first, please allow me to put things into perspective. We're not talking about engine overhauling or removal, nor am I suggesting that the ECM be reflashed or anything of that magnitude.... the OP simply wanted to know what the CEL is telling him. I merely showed him how to extract that bit of information. It's still up to him if he wants to push through with the DIY or not.

With all humility, I personally love troubleshooting. Over the years, I've learned a lot about fixing electronics, electrical and mechanical devices, both at home and at my current work (IP voice, data, and wireless networking, which I think will bore everyone). I'm far from being a guru like, maybe you when it comes to cars, but I do understand a thing or two about it since my dad used to run a talyer back in the day. And with my background in electronics, I pretty much understand how everything comes to play in our car's internals. The books will simply show you the "hows" and a little of the "whys". Most part of the "whys" are usually left to the techie to figure out.

Like I said, you need some analytical skills. Most people have that already all they need are the "hows". I don't see anything wrong with wanting to find out for themselves what the car "thinks" is the problem. If the method I posted is construed as a blessing to the OP, I'll be glad it helped him, however a bit. If not, maybe later when some poor guy with a CEL on strays into this thread can find it useful. Either way, I hope I've helped the community.

Working along these thoughts, I believe that's one reason why this forum exist.
    Thats it! You just said, need an "analytical skills". With respect to the person, perhaps he doesnt have that kind of skills that is why he's asking for a help. And my most logical answer is to bring it to the honda dealer cause the have all the equipment to point out this kind of problem. You know and I know, like when you are at scholl on the very first time and the instructor throw a book on you, then said, you do that. That is not going to work, it need's a constant guidance before he get's the right way.

This problem on his car is far more advance than changing an engine oil. We are talking an on board diagnostics here. You know better that since your line of work are troubleshooting of an electronics is not easy to the person to do the same with no nothing about electrical and electronics.

When the "Check Engine" light comes on and stays on while the vehicle is running, it means that the on-board computer (known as the Electronic Control Module, or ECM) has detected a problem in one of the many systems it monitors and controls. The problem may be minor but it could be serious.

The 'Check Engine' light also alerts him to problems like poor gas mileage or reduced performance problem, hard start(his problem). These can evolve so slowly that you get used to them. But your on-board computer is sensitive enough to detect even gradual changes, then let you know when something is wrong'

The computer processes information it receives from the sensors, then sends out commands to the systems it controls. This includes your car's fuel delivery, spark timing and emission control systems. Most of the time, your on-board computer is hard at work and you're not even aware of it. But when it needs your help, it turns on the 'Check Engine' light. That's your vehicle's way of saying 'Take me to a qualified service technician right now!' That is exactly my point. That is why he was he came here to forum(tsikot) to ask help.

We may have diff. point of view giving someone adviced, but the fact is this is the beauty one opinion after another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
help: check engine light