New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    hi pips,
    i have got a nissan sgx 91 (all power) that needs major paint and an engine overhaul..my queries are:
    - lahat ba ng 91 sgx 1.6 ang engine or meron 1.5
    - ano nakalagay sa engine 12 valve?
    - our mechanic told us na kailangan na pa overhaul; which I am thinking bili nalang ng surplus engine; magkano kaya?
    - and where could I find one?
    - di ba mahirap mag paregister pag change engine?
    thanks pips..

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think there is a 1.5 engine for sentra B12.
    kasi ang releases for B12 eh
    1.3 SLX
    1.4 LX
    1.5 SGX
    1.6 SGX
    i'm not an expert on such things, but for me, if i'm not really into
    engine mods, i would prefer na i-overhaul na lang sa isang magaling
    na shop. mas tipid pa, minus d hassle. pero nasa sa iyo yan. :roll:

have you tried posting sa nissanbayan.com?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kung SGX iyan, malamang 1.6 (ito yung mga walang signal lamp sa fender). Yung mga 1.5 alam ko may signal lamps pa sa fender, eh.

Kasya kaya SR20 diyan? Hehehe.

Pero ako, mas gusto ko ng overhaul, eh. Basta magaling ang gagawa at hindi sobrang mahal.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kung SGX iyan, malamang 1.6 (ito yung mga walang signal lamp sa fender). Yung mga 1.5 alam ko may signal lamps pa sa fender, eh.

Pero ako, mas gusto ko ng overhaul, eh. Basta magaling ang gagawa at hindi sobrang mahal.Kung SGX iyan, malamang 1.6 (ito yung mga walang signal lamp sa fender). Yung mga 1.5 alam ko may signal lamps pa sa fender, eh.

Pero ako, mas gusto ko ng overhaul, eh. Basta magaling ang gagawa at hindi sobrang mahal.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP

Pero ako, mas gusto ko ng overhaul, eh. Basta magaling ang gagawa at hindi sobrang mahal.Kung SGX iyan, malamang 1.6 (ito yung mga walang signal lamp sa fender). Yung mga 1.5 alam ko may signal lamps pa sa fender, eh.

so kahit 1.6, 12 valve ang nakaukit dun sa engine?
    hey otep, taga pampanga ka ba?
    have seen a lancer L type yata parked last week sa SM, green or blue yata, there's a sticker on the window "OTEP"..is that urs?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by El Loco
    hi pips,
    i have got a nissan sgx 91 (all power) that needs major paint and an engine overhaul..my queries are:
    - lahat ba ng 91 sgx 1.6 ang engine or meron 1.5
    - ano nakalagay sa engine 12 valve?
    - our mechanic told us na kailangan na pa overhaul; which I am thinking bili nalang ng surplus engine; magkano kaya?
    - and where could I find one?
    - di ba mahirap mag paregister pag change engine?
    thanks pips..
    yup. two variants ang SGX. Its either yung 1.5 o yung 1.6.
    iba yung 12 valve sa 1.6. valve is the number of valves per cylinder while 1.6 is the engine displacement. during the late 80s and 90s. isa lang lumabas na 16 valve (which is the corolla GL). the rest of the multi-valve engines that came out during that time are mostly 12 valves (like the Lancers, Sentras, Californias, etc.)
    imho, mas ok nga yung overhaul dahil first you cannot be sure that the surplus engine that you will be buying is of good condition. baka sooner or later, kailangan ding ipaoverhaul sayang lang pera. second nga is yung less hassles sa paperwork, which is yung registration ng change engine, which follows the same procedure as change of color or change of ownership (kailangan pa ng police clearance).

just make sure nga na yung gagawa ng overhaul is very good at that field.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you need an overhaul, i'd suggest you consider an engine swap.

The GA16DS or GA15DS (this is twin cam, 16Valve, carb) engines from the B13 Sentra's will bolt-on easily on the B12 body of your ride. These engines will also give you better perfromance then the stock 12 valve E15/E16 or GA15/GA16 engines that came stock with the B12 Sentra's (boxtype).

The GA15DS or GA16DS engines are carbed and not EFI. It'll be easier to put a carbed 16-Valve GA engine instead of the EFI (GA16DE) for the EFI engine will require you to work and change your fuel pump and add the ECU and other related items.

One of our members at Nissanbayan did that with his B12 Sentra, he had it done in Carclone which is in Banawe i think. It cost him 15K for the carbed GA15 engine. It had more power and torque then the 12-valve GA16 he originally had on his car.

Parts are also abundant for this engine as well. Just make sure the one you get is in good condition. Then you just have the carburator overhauled para swabe.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    El Loco,

May Pampanga ancestry ako pero hindi po sa amin yung L-type. Matagal nang nanakaw ang L-type ng uncle ko. Hehehe.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    i have a california just like yours a 91 SGX all power.. i had an engine swap my old engine was the 12valve GA16.. i bought a GA15 i had the swap aug last year.. mdyo ok naman ung engine though a really haven't tested the engine kc medyo hassle ung pag-asikaso ng papers lalo na kapag wala kang time .. it's up to you if you'll have an overhaul or an engine swap if your up for mods engine swap ka nalang marami namang ok na surplus engines eh.. tyagaan lang.. if ever you consider an engine swap PM mo lang ako meron ako ng requirements and procedures ng LTO for a change engine.. you can find surplus engine in banawe, evangelista, marikina..etc depende kung san malapit sa area nyo.. it good to hear that there are still some people who appreciate the B12 sentra...goodluck bro!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The B12 had the E-series (1.3L and 1.5L for 87-89 models) and the GA SOHC series (1.4L and 1.6L for 90-91 models). Since yours is the 1.6L it falls in the second series.

It would be a wiser investment to do an engine swap since parts for the E-series and the GA SOHC are pretty hard to come by.

HTH

nissan sgx 91- overhaul or change engine na?