New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Good day to all!
    i want to ask your knowledge regarding the advantages and disadvantages of naturally aspirated over turbocharged engines

1. same engine displacement ( different power output )
    2. same power output ( different displacement)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    which turbo engine specifically? mazda honda hyundai chevrolet?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    which turbo engine specifically? mazda honda hyundai chevrolet?
    subaru
    mazda

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Turbo - more power and torque

More maintenance nga lang

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
    subaru
    mazda
    mazdas turbo engines produce more power but it does sacrifice fuel economy.

their normally aspirated skyactiv 2.5 is good but when they used a turbo on it. fuel economy took a hit. this is their generation 1 turbo petrol 2.5 engine. Better wait for the second generation turbo petrols.

mazda improved on their diesel turbo engines. i hope they replicate their success on their petrols.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012

7. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Hmmm. Naturally aspirated vs Turbocharged

As I posted earlier... For me depende yan sa use mo ng car. Kung majority ng trip mo is highway, then turbo all the way... Kung matraffic ka lang sa EDSA, you may want to consider a naturally aspirated engine.

Using the 2019 Civic as an example.

1.8 is (strangely) lighter

Mas mataas nga HP and Torque nung 1.5 RS, but max output yun, never binaggit yung output nya at less than 2000RPM

So, the 1.5L engine from standstill will need more gas para pagalawin yung sasakyan.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    Hmmm. Naturally aspirated vs Turbocharged

As I posted earlier... For me depende yan sa use mo ng car. Kung majority ng trip mo is highway, then turbo all the way... Kung matraffic ka lang sa EDSA, you may want to consider a naturally aspirated engine.

Using the 2019 Civic as an example.

1.8 is (strangely) lighter

Mas mataas nga HP and Torque nung 1.5 RS, but max output yun, never binaggit yung output nya at less than 2000RPM

So, the 1.5L engine from standstill will need more gas para pagalawin yung sasakyan.
    agree, sa metro manila itll be better having NA ICE... no boost necessary sa traffic lol

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    ^palagi kong napapanood sa Q&A about cars...

Q: kailangan ba i-idle ng 2-5mins yung turbo charged na engine bago patayin?

A: kapag high rev driving at gumana yung turbo - yes, kapag city driving at low RPM lang, di na kailangan since di naman gumana yung turbo

10. Join Date
    May 2014
    For me, NA is fine within City and if just cruising leisurely on the highway. The problem for NA (especially if smaller displacement) is when "fully loaded" or going uphill or both. =)

And in those scenarios, I'd really want to have a turbo on hand to tap into to get the power out from the engine.

If from my experience, you'd be fine with turbo'd engines within the city even if you are worried with consumption, as long as you try to avoid engaging the "boost" from the turbo, so keep those revs below 1800rpm. Hehe!

But my experience with turbo'd engines is for diesel pickup or SUV only. Don't have any idea about turbo gas engines if it "applies" as well. Since good torque is available for those diesels at around 1500rpm, sometimes lower (with some Isuzu engines).

I think with the 2.2 Ecoboost Mustang (or was it the Explorer) before, in City when not in boost, it was more fuel efficient that the 3.5L non Ecoboost version. But once the boost did kick in, you were actually better off with the non Ecoboost model. I can't remember exactly the article I read it from.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Naturally aspirated vs Turbocharged