New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    i have signs on my spark plugs that my engine is having an incomplete combustion (black carbon deposits). aside from not knowing the cause i am baffled that most of my spark plugs suffer the same condition except for my no. 4 which is clean and (it seems as) showing a complete combustion! any ideas please?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Few info first

What is your car. How old and mileage? What previous repairs (if any) has been done?

-----------------------------

You sure you aren't burning oil? Have you checked your oil level lately? Maybe a compression test would solve some light?
    Last edited by ghosthunter; August 8th, 2008 at 01:34 PM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ^^ +1 parang may pumapasok na oil sa chamber. usually if the tip of the spark plug is black then its burning oil.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    no oil..just dry carbon deposit except for 1 plug. its an old 2T engine btw

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by janmike View Post
    no oil..just dry carbon deposit except for 1 plug. its an old 2T engine btw
    definitely do a compression test.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    been digging the net and i have read a few possible causes as to why. this include over rich a/f mixture(carb), ignition timing, valve leaks and intake manifolds including low compression. additional info is the engine eats up lotsa gas, carb obviously not in good condition, no knocking, pinging or hard starting, smell of unburned gas in exhaust, backfires on decelleration and loss of power on steep climb.

*ghosthunter
    if bad compression is found would the engine require overhauling? TIA

7. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    i started fiddling with the engine beginning with the carb, i'm going to test first for a very rich mixture diagnosis that may cause the incomplete combustion. visual inspection and looking down the throat of the carb gave me a picture of how it works. with a bit googling and youtube class i had a good idea where to start. float seems to work fine (i can see fuel in the bowl and looks like it's closing because the flow of gas stopped on my soda bottle).
    my question is, before i start tweaking, when we talk of A/F mixture adjustments are we talking about the idle mixture screw? and what does it regulate the air or the fuel? like if i fully closed it does it mean i'm starving the engine of air or fuel? or both?
    help please!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you have a rich mixture, wouldn't ALL spark plugs be affected?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    You have a fine old school engine.
    I would simply begin with valve adjustments, good compression will greatly rely on good seating of the valves giving a tight seal, worry about worn piston rings and walls when you have already done all the other test.

The cylinder head gasket will be the next.
    The third will be cylinder head check up (dismount head from block), take a close look of the valve condition, seats, guides and seals. Warpage and leaktest of the head should also be checked.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    If you have a rich mixture, wouldn't ALL spark plugs be affected?
    Theoretically, yes it should. that is what's puzzling me until now. i have searched for a number of info's regarding this and how to fix it. for now i am trying to DIY and hope to gain some valuable experience regarding this matter. My plan is simple elimination starting with most accessible, most obvious and serviceable part - the A/F mixture. if it does not show any significant change then on to dwell(point gap) and timing because late timing can also cause incomplete combustion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
incomplete combustion diagnosis