New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    My car is yet to hit the road and I'm already cooking up my engine and tranny rebuild. I really really want to make this a DIY project. Some people have discouraged me but a lot of people are encouraging me to do it. Great learning experience daw.

I'll need to gather tools specific to tranny/engine rebuilding since all I have right now are some basic handtools. My question is: what tools do I need?? Also, what steps of the rebuild can I pass off to the machine shop and what do I have to do/verify??

I've already gotten an estimate from my engine builder and if the cost of the tools isn't too far off, then I'm determined to do it myself.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    do you have a service/shop manual for your specific brand/model of vehicle? I think this is the most important tool of a DIYer. Torque wrench importante din aside from the basic wrenches, screwdrivers and pliers.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    machine shop : seating the valve and installing the valve guide should be done in the machine shop , refacing of your engine and reboring too if needed.

you will also need fillergauges is important too

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    +1 on manual and torque-wrench.

Engine-stand and jack-stands if you can get them (safety first!).

And a good first aid kit. Iodine, alcohol and lots of band-aids...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    DYIing is real fun, the engine is not too much of a problem. the tranny if electronic is however not recommended for diy even you have the repair manual, tools, etc; a thorough knowledge and understanding of the system's operations is a must and can't be acquired overnight.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    kung hindi na bago yung car, Just do it. it's fun. kung hindi mo na kaya. call a expert mechanic. hanap ka rin ng manual...

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    You really need a shop or service manual and the basic tools such as diff kinds of wrenches.

If you are really serious, You will also need special tools as follows:

1. Valve spring compressor.
    2. Piston Ring Compressor.
    3. Micrometer and vernier Calipers.
    4. Plastigage kit for clearances.

You may also opt to have the headworks done by some specialty shops that will include porting, multi-angle valve job and replacement of valvetrains.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the tips and the encouragement. I've also gotten lots of information from other forums so I have a better idea of the tools needed and the work entailed. I do have to get some tools but thankfully hindi naman kamahalan and they all seem to be available locally. Makakahiram din ako sa shop ng friend ko.

The tranny has no electronics so it should be doable. Kailangan lang malinis at orderly ang work area kasi maraming maliliit na parts at very sensitive yung tranny sa maling assembly at sa dumi. Only basic hand tools, a few c-clamps and a dial indicator are needed. I've also ordered the assembly manual. I think I'll make this the first part of the project.

The engine should be more complicated but I'm planning to get the machine shop to assemble the shortblock. Verify na lang ng clearances and specs afterwards. The cylinder heads are aftermarket and they shouldn't need much porting work....siguro kaunting linis lang....may mahihiraman naman ako ng die grinder eh.

Bahala na si Batman....

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    what engine/tranny is it?

the right tools are important but if you will not be setting the clearances yourself then make sure it is a competent machine shop and not just some tabi tabi place that does it for you. i see lots of work botched up by stupid machine shops claiming to know how to assemble engines.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    what engine/tranny is it?
    Ford 351w/393w stroker and C4 tranny.

I'm looking at AER to do the machining but will need to pay them a visit. Regardless of which machine shop I ultimately use, clearances will still be verified against spec.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
DIY Tranny and Engine Rebuild